Author Topic: Turning wood chips into compost by Jean Pain  (Read 7210 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Re: Turning wood chips into compost by Jean Pain
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 10:06:12 AM »
Hi Zands,
You hit the Jackpot...this is a wealth of knowledge AWESOME 8) Will devour this online book soon ;D

Thanks for sharing :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 08:46:34 AM »
Hi Zands,
You hit the Jackpot...this is a wealth of knowledge AWESOME 8) Will devour this online book soon ;D

Thanks for sharing :)

This book was in French. I heard about it for years and now we have it in English and for free via the internet. Best to save it onto your computer just in case. You want 5 gigabyte free online backup? Try sugar sync. I now have 7gb free due to getting a few freebies from them. Then you can save and backup very important stuffs onto the cloud as well as your  computer

ZZZZZZ

ty23

• Bridgeville, DE. USDA zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 10:45:21 AM »
Dont know if this has been posted here before, but I found this video interesting.  It is called "back to Eden. Video is not loading, maybe too long.

Back To Eden OFFICIAL FILM on Vimeo
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 10:49:12 AM by ty23 »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 03:13:15 PM »
@tye23

What a great movie for using wood chips mulch for gardens. The best way to watch it is via this link>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>    http://tinyurl.com/7ldpof7
  I have watched half of it
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 03:15:24 PM by zands »

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 07:53:57 AM »
Hi Ty,
Thanks for sharing...will watch this badboy hopefully today 8)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

ty23

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 10:09:36 AM »
 :) You are all welcome. For the last 5 years, I have been getting about 32 yards of mill sawdust (1/4inch wood chips) every year.
It has a little bit of horse manure mixed in. Its free, but I have it delivered which cost $20. This stuff works wonders when spread on top of the soil. The first year, I made the mistake of tilling it into the soil, and it sucked up the nitrogen. Leaves of plants turned yellow. Spread about 6 inch thick around my veggies, and never water all summer, which is hot and dry where I am. I spread to the drip line under my fruit trees, and never water.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 03:53:25 PM »
:) You are all welcome. For the last 5 years, I have been getting about 32 yards of mill sawdust (1/4inch wood chips) every year.
It has a little bit of horse manure mixed in. Its free, but I have it delivered which cost $20. This stuff works wonders when spread on top of the soil. The first year, I made the mistake of tilling it into the soil, and it sucked up the nitrogen. Leaves of plants turned yellow. Spread about 6 inch thick around my veggies, and never water all summer, which is hot and dry where I am. I spread to the drip line under my fruit trees, and never water.

You have a great deal going there! One of the best uses ever thought up for the internal combustion engine is to chip trees and then use them as mulch. How could they be chipped without them? Older cultures used slash and burn. This was another way to fertlize the land you are going to grow on. Charcoal in  the soil does not deprive plants of nitrogen (I think) and the wood ash adds potassium and other minerals the tree has taken up

ty23

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 09:23:59 AM »
Slash and burn causes soil erosion. Wood chips on the surface uses nitrogen from the air. If you don't have wood chips, a thick layer
 of grass also works OK, but not as long lasting.   

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 06:29:28 AM »
Slash and burn causes soil erosion. Wood chips on the surface uses nitrogen from the air. If you don't have wood chips, a thick layer
 of grass also works OK, but not as long lasting.

Done on small scale in underpopulated lands (pre-Columbian America) slash and burn does not damage the topsoil. A small area is cropped and exhausted. The tribe then finds a new location and repeats the slash and burn. Meanwhile nature heals the old one

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 11:04:12 AM »
Howdy Zands and Ty,
Haven't had time to seat my fanny down and watch this vid...from the few mins i have watched, looks like it's going to be great vid to learn more about sustainable agriculture 8)
Time is like a river.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 04:04:20 PM »
Howdy Zands and Ty,
Haven't had time to seat my fanny down and watch this vid...from the few mins i have watched, looks like it's going to be great vid to learn more about sustainable agriculture 8)

You can wait a few minutes or 10 or 20 minutes (depends on internet speed) to let the video load. Then you can skip around. It was more than 60 minutes long

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 07:14:20 AM »
Hi Zands,
The vid doesn't take very long to load...just need some spare time to watch the vid :) Today, i ain't going to doing nothing....so i will watch the vid 8)

Cheers :)
Time is like a river.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 04:05:48 AM »
Great video! It's all about the mulch:)