Author Topic: cloning gels  (Read 2730 times)

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
cloning gels
« on: April 13, 2018, 11:44:24 PM »
Hi All, for those of you that use " cloning gels " for air layering on your TREES , is there a BEST one out there for using on trees ?? i checked the www and it looks like most is for the weed or house plant cutting folks. i tried one last year  very very easy to use but i only got about 20% takes and then only after about 6 or 7 months . so i am hoping some of you who have experience using the gels and can recommend  a good one for me .            Thanks in advance     Patrick

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: cloning gels
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 08:43:58 AM »
Clonex

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 12:13:02 AM »
thanks mark, have you tried clonex yourself?? have you tried it on hard woods??

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 02:26:09 AM »
I like the video on that page.. cool little setup, looks like that would give great success with lime cuttings.  Make some humidity domes and planters with old plastic  bottles and use coco coir dust as the medium

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 02:50:49 AM »
I used to use Hormex#45 when it was available and I would get real good success on lychee, longan, guava and wax jambu. I would use a paste of the 45 with pure peat moss.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 07:19:15 AM »
thanks mark, have you tried clonex yourself?? have you tried it on hard woods??

yep

Am currently trying it on African Pride and Campas.   The treated sticks are about 2 months old and most are pushing some really nice foliage.  Whether roots are pushing is anyone's guess.  I'm going to wait a while longer to confirm root output by upcanning when I get a nice flush of leaves.

Each one of these product has different amounts of the A.I., one or more synthetic auxins.

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 02:53:13 PM »
I checked the clonex brand 0.31% I.B.A. i found another brand 0.54% I.B.A so am going to try it on Macadamia air layers have 5 trees that need pruning so will try this first , i still seems odd to me that a mix that is good/ready to use on tomato/weed plants is just as good on hardwood trees. only time will tell.         Patrick

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 05:21:46 PM »
Clonex works like a charm for me for many years. IBA content is 3.3 g/L. My only concern in the colour, it's very toxic and a cancerigen so wear gloves. Sure it is in a low quantity but very potent, that's way they warn you on the box that it's not for edible plants.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 07:26:26 PM »
Clonex works like a charm for me for many years. IBA content is 3.3 g/L. My only concern in the colour, it's very toxic and a cancerigen so wear gloves. Sure it is in a low quantity but very potent, that's way they warn you on the box that it's not for edible plants.
What, really?

I haven't tried clonex before. I've been using dip n grow. I figured it has 2 hormones so it's better. I don't really know.

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 10:15:43 PM »
I haven't tried clonex before. I've been using dip n grow. I figured it has 2 hormones so it's better. I don't really know.

I have used clonex on vegetative growth (i.e. passion fruit), and have had good success with Dip N Grow on ornamental woody plants... not sure why I never tried it on fruit trees, but I bet it would work.  That stuff is NASTY though.  The guy at the hydroponics store said it would "root a toothpick", lol

The cannibis guys have been using clonex for decades - you'd think if it was bad to use on "edibles" (warning label or not) that info would have gotten out by now.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 05:27:35 PM »
The cannabis industry likes the $, so I don't think they care that much about some little poison. OF course for trees and other plants it's okay. Until they start to fruit it should vanish from the plant system. I would not use the hormone to clone vegetables for instance.

Paraponera

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 06:19:21 PM »
The cannabis industry likes the $, so I don't think they care that much about some little poison. OF course for trees and other plants it's okay. Until they start to fruit it should vanish from the plant system. I would not use the hormone to clone vegetables for instance.

Very good point about use by the cannabis industry. I wonder if there are any that are less toxic that can be used in organic fruit tree production?
"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better."

Albert Einstein

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 02:22:05 AM »

I have used clonex on vegetative growth (i.e. passion fruit), and have had good success with Dip N Grow on ornamental woody plants... not sure why I never tried it on fruit trees, but I bet it would work.  That stuff is NASTY though.  The guy at the hydroponics store said it would "root a toothpick", lol

The cannibis guys have been using clonex for decades - you'd think if it was bad to use on "edibles" (warning label or not) that info would have gotten out by now.
Yes, Dip N Grow smells like some sort of petroleum product. Maybe benzene or something. Anyway, I accidentally brushed my sleeve on leaves that caught some of the drippings below the airlayer and that stuff will never come off. Basically like a dilute glue.

I'm not sure if clonex is nasty or not.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2018, 03:28:59 PM »
The smell comes from IBA, if the gel is newly produced it has a strong smell. If the gel is old it doesn't have the smell which is also an indication that the hormone has somehow disintegrated. If IBA is exposed to light or warm temperatures it discomposes fast.
Be careful, it's not healthy and toxicity on humans is not well researched.
I have the 'secret' formula somewhere on a shelve, the carcinogenic substance is in a low dose like 0.03% and it's supposed to be safe if you don't eat it or touch the skin.