Author Topic: Jaboticaba - flowering but not setting fruit  (Read 1010 times)

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Jaboticaba - flowering but not setting fruit
« on: April 05, 2020, 12:14:08 AM »
It’s been a while since I’ve been on TFF... but #Coronacation has me spending more time in my yard again.

I’ve got a couple jabos in the qround - and in the last couple years I’ve only had ONE fruit!  That was years ago, and that jabo hasn’t event flowered since.    Meanwhile, my largest (now over 6’ tall) jabo keeps flowering but I have yet to see a single fruit.  Any ideas?

The flowers opened up - I counted about 20 - and have wilted away without fruit set.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticaba - flowering but not setting fruit
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 08:39:58 AM »

This picture is from last Spring and not one fruit set?
It is from a red jabo I have that had fruited previously and also
flowered just as heavy in that picture last Fall and every fruit set.
This year all 4 of my trees were going to flower like that and we were
40F for 3 nights in a row and the flowering fizzled but all the trees are
flowering constantly now and the trees have ripe fruit green fruit and flowers
all going on at the same time. I can eat a handful every day. Your tree looks
good to me I would add some Epsoma Holly tone and eventually the flowers
will set. Did you get some cool dry air? When my trees flower I usually see
minimal bees. If I am downwind the aroma is incredible from the flowers.
I wonder if ants do the pollinating? My grimal had one flower last year and
didn't set. This year it had a bunch of flowers about to push and that cool
snap fizzled them. It ended up flowering a few and I have 4 fruit on the tree.
My first grimals. One last thing as the trees get older they produce more and
more fruit. Unless I re pot them. I still can't explain last Spring maybe it was
Trump's fault or global warming. It seems like that is the go to explanation for
everything?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 10:03:08 AM »
That is odd, not something I've seen here in my neck of the woods. Is that a common issue in socal?

It’s been a while since I’ve been on TFF... but #Coronacation has me spending more time in my yard again.

I’ve got a couple jabos in the qround - and in the last couple years I’ve only had ONE fruit!  That was years ago, and that jabo hasn’t event flowered since.    Meanwhile, my largest (now over 6’ tall) jabo keeps flowering but I have yet to see a single fruit.  Any ideas?

The flowers opened up - I counted about 20 - and have wilted away without fruit set.

Jeff  :-)

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 11:44:53 AM »
Thank you both!  I’m hopeful these trees start producing because I love the fruit and the way they look when covered in flowers.  Of the 4 I have in the ground, they’re all acting differently...

I planted a seedling under a king palm tree and after several years it’s still only about a foot tall.  I keep thinking it’s dead, but it will push a couple new leaves from time to time.

[no photo]

The one that actually set fruit seems stressed, loses almost all of its leaves over winter and then flushed out new (red) growth.  The tree never really looks green - there’s always some red in the leaves.  And it hasn’t grown much taller.

The one in the original post keeps growing.  I’ve hacked off branches bigger than the other tree.

And I planted out an unknown / unlabeled (can’t remember the source) seedling that looks completely different than any other jabo I’ve seen... new growth is red but leaves immediately turn a very light green - the plant doesn’t look sickly, and it keeps growing.  Bark is also much darker than the others.  Branches are droopy.  Excited to figure out what this one is.

Not sure if it’s typical for jabos planted near the coast in SoCal to not set fruit ... I know they fruit inland, but don’t know anyone near me growing them.  (I’ve seen them fruiting at a local nursery nearby, but the plants were sourced elsewhere)

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 04:36:00 PM »
Florida is humid, lots of CA areas are not humid. San Diego & LA is a desert by the ocean.
If overhead misters are impractical for you then spray as fine a spray as possible from hose nozzle or backpack sprayer, with rain water or as dechlorinated water as possible.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk