Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Buy, Sell, & Trade

ISO Albert Etter Apple Scions!!

(1/2) > >>

Jabba The Hutt:
Looking for any Albert Etter varieties and also any Red Flesh or rarer variety of apples!

FloridaManDan:
Jabba,

If youre not already in the FB groups "North American Fruit Explorers - NAFEX" and "North American Scion Exchange", I suggest joining. Theres tons of posts throughout the week but not long ago saw some red-fleshed scions for sale, as well as other rare and misc. varities. Probably plenty more groups to joing from there. Best of luck.

Jabba The Hutt:

--- Quote from: FloridaManDan on March 17, 2023, 03:43:28 PM ---Jabba,

If youre not already in the FB groups "North American Fruit Explorers - NAFEX" and "North American Scion Exchange", I suggest joining. Theres tons of posts throughout the week but not long ago saw some red-fleshed scions for sale, as well as other rare and misc. varities. Probably plenty more groups to joing from there. Best of luck.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the reminder about that group, lots of people with good varieties! Going to have to offer some scions here once we get going.

CarolinaZone:
I got the Redlove apples from One green world. I could send you some when they finish flowering.

gordonh1:
For red-fleshed apple varieties, you might try contacting Hocking Hills Orchard. They have an extensive collection of red-fleshed apple varieties:
http://www.fourseasonscabinrental.com/redfleshedapples.html

I have a few.

Niedzwetzkyana - the original species, totally dark red
PI629319 - beautiful gray/silvery foliage and a red-fleshed apple. No name, just an accession number, from a botanical collection in Kazakhstan

Unfortunate thing about red-fleshed apples is that most of them are very susceptible to apple scab, a trait which they inherit from Niedzwetskyana. The recent commercial releases of red-fleshed apples are the result of a breeding program to try to improve this trait.  The well-known crabapple Prairie Fire was also a result of improving the scab-resistance by breeding with the totally scab-resistant Japanese crabapple, Malus floribunda I think.

I just started growing Odysso and Calypso from OneGreenWorld.com that come from the RedLove breeding program.

Burnt Ridge Nursery had one of the Etter apples, Wickson crab. I've been interested in it, but never tried growing it.

Edit: Burnt Ridge doesn't list Wickson on their web site now, but Trees of Antiquity offers it: https://www.treesofantiquity.com/products/wickson-apple-tree

I have a few other rare apple varieties from a botanical expedition to Kazakhstan that are not red-fleshed. I did not know what the fruit would be like when I ordered the scions from Nick Botner's scionwood orchard, before he retired. However, I wanted to have a sampling of the genetic diversity of apples from Kazakhstan for possible apple breeding.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version