Author Topic: First time trying cherapu  (Read 979 times)

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
First time trying cherapu
« on: October 12, 2023, 03:39:18 AM »
Cherapu...button mangosteen...garcinia prainiana.  I've been waiting 20 years to taste this fruit.  Much smaller than I thought they would be, but even the small ones had a surprising amount of flesh to them.  This is the first time that a shipment has gone somewhat bad.  Much of the fruit is smashed and half the box is soaked and falling apart.

The fruit itself is fabulous.  I really like this.  It has the tropical tang with hints of garcinia and tangerine.  They peel open very easily and the seeds come out without much hassle...and only a few of those.

The bad.  Latex latex latex!!  Fingers and lips were covered with a thick coating of it.  My teeth!  They felt like they were covered in epoxy that was half cured.  I ruined a tooth brush cause it is now all gummed up.  Jeesh!

Someone please tell me that this is not normal and that the latex is not always this bad!

tongmuan

• Thailand
    • View Profile
Re: First time trying cherapu
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 04:01:03 AM »
Hi,

Where did you order them from, and do you know if they still have some available? Been wanting to try (and plant!) them for a long time as well.

Yesterday there was a Facebook posting by someone in Yala selling cherapu, but they were already out of stock by the time we noticed :(

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 07:17:39 AM »
Not sure if same guy, but try this link.  It is where we ordered ours.  https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100065196382806

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 07:43:30 AM »
I grew one that was around 3 inchs. The skin is paper thin so that one fruit had more edible flesh than the largest mangosteen I have ever had. I have never eaten more than 2 in a sitting so I  am not sure if I would have had latex lock jaw after a dozen. Maybe shipping increased the latex effect.

Brandon

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2023, 07:49:26 AM »
Hey Brandon...I wish.  Everybody on the FB group claiming that the latex is normal.  I get it being in the skin, but to actually be a part of the fruit is f'd up!  My toothbrush has turned gray!  All the family members loved it...until they got up to wash their hands and found that even the soap stuck to them!!!  LOL!  The bitching was comical...and all directed at me!

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 08:34:08 AM »
We grow cherapu and don’t have a problem with latex when the fruits are very ripe. There is a little but not like you are talking about. If you peel them, break the pulp into chunks and toss those in a bowl…
In Pahang last January I ate cherapu from a huge tree that I’d say was superior to the ones I have. So I am planning on a new, small grove of this fruit that is popular when I share it.
Peter

tongmuan

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2023, 08:38:19 AM »
Not sure if same guy, but try this link.  It is where we ordered ours.  https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100065196382806

Thanks for the quick reply. Link seems to be a different fb account of the same people, as they have used exact same photos as the sales post we saw. Sent a message to double check anyway.

But wow, this place has been recently selling other unnusual stuff also. Never seen wani or Malaysian type yellow rambutan fruit for sale in Thailand before.

Followed/bookmarked for next year's cherapu harvest and possibly other ultra rare stuff coming up :)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2023, 08:58:16 AM »
I'm happy to hear another person say it tastes great.  I am really looking forward to trying this.

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2023, 06:37:28 PM »
Tongmuan...With lots and lots of searching, I've found that there are sellers out there offering up some really neat, rare stuff.  Just wish I had room for them all.  Hope the cherapu order works out for you.

Peter...I truly hope that the riper the fruit, the less latex it may have.  Many of these fruits I considered very ripe.  It is possible that the beating the fruit took was somewhat responsible for distributing more latex throughout the flesh.  This experience sure let the wind out of my sails for this fruit.  As good as it is, this amount of latex would just not be tolerable for me.  Eating 1-2 fruits is probably not an issue.  But dang!  Who could sit and eat just 1-2 of these?  I'd have to get a bulk supply of toothbrushes!

Gogu

• US, HI, Waianae 12a-12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2023, 06:53:27 PM »
maybe try brushing with oil?

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2023, 07:52:22 PM »
Jay, when I was with Lindsay and Richard in January we sat and ate a LOT of cherapu. That cherapu and the ones we produce have, to me, much less of an issue than abiu or caimito and many jakfruit.
We experience slightly sticky hands and lips sometimes but no big deal.
I walk a lot of people around my farm and the reaction is positive, often comparing to persimmon. There’s no way the latex sticks to anyone’s teeth here! 😂
Peter

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2023, 11:02:40 PM »
Peter...that is encouraging at least.  As mentioned, the fruit took a beating so maybe that had something to do with it.

tongmuan

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2023, 08:56:44 AM »
Finally got some cherapus today from another seller in the deep south. Also for us a lot them were already damaged in transport, and the fruit were very unevenly sized, mostly smaller than the ones in OP photos.

My impression about the taste: like a good mandarin orange that's slightly overripe, some blueberry flavor thrown in, but also a slight medicinal background taste and aftertaste, similar to what starfruit sometimes has. Amount of latex wasn't too bad, lips a bit sticky but none on the teeth :)

Would probably be quite good if picked from tree perfectly ripe and eaten right away, but I feel that of the non-mangostana garcinia commonly available here, sweet dulcis is in a totally different league.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2023, 10:52:21 AM »
In my experience cherapu needs a very selective picking.  Picked and handled well it can possibly last a week. In fact there is less latex if the fruit sits for a couple of days.  We ate cherapu this morning and zero latex, very nice.  I’ve never had cherapu that was shipped.
If a garcinia dulcis is better than cherapu I’d love to try it.
Peter

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2023, 01:14:45 PM »
I had a Bokeelia grown one this year,which in it's self was a miracle after vicious H.urricane Ian.The only one on the tree and he let me have it and it was meltingly delicious and no latex.

love

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2023, 02:10:33 PM »
It's going in our collection!

Also picked up a couple of "Brazilian cherapu" plants. Don't expect them to taste the same, just curious and never met a garcinia I didn't like. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 04:34:02 PM by roblack »

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2023, 08:30:05 PM »
Never had this problem when picked at proper time. Best guess is it has something to do with all that fruit banging around in that shipping box. The fruit look bruised and the latex is like a defense mechanism. Especially if the latex was in the fruit flesh itself. At least you have a bunch of seeds.

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2023, 09:05:19 PM »
Tongmuan...yeah...I saw the new ads for more cherapu.  None of these folks know the proper way to ship fruit and I agree, all the banging around in the box is most likely the main culprit wit the latex.  The pics also showed a lot of unripened fruit being shipped.  For these reasons I opted not to order another box.

Brandon...yeah, got gobs and gobs of seeds!

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2023, 07:13:10 AM »
So in your opinions is this a fruit worth growing? I’m ridiculous enough to be attempting mangosteen but thought this may be an easier plant to grow. Then there is issue of obtaining viable seeds and getting M&F plants.

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2023, 07:35:57 AM »
It's definitely a collector's tree and I thought it tasted wonderful.  As stated, I believe the biggest issue with the latex was the fruit getting clobbered during shipping.  So yes, definitely worth growing.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2023, 08:23:05 AM »
The bigger fruited types are better with flesh yield. Some female trees produce quite well without male trees.

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2023, 09:08:53 AM »
Mike, very interesting. What happens with the seeds in the female only plants? Also (best guess) how frequently will they be self fruitful?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk