Author Topic: For northern gardeners donít forget to bring your plants inside  (Read 1656 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: For northern gardeners donít forget to bring your plants inside
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2023, 02:36:01 AM »
Seem like here in BG we have an overly extended summer this year. Havent really monitored with acuracy the temperatures all that much, but we havent had a day that wasnt at least 20C as of this date, alot of 25C days this october. Nights are just now getting chillier at about 5 C , the lowest i had at my place was 2C, with a light frost, only on the tops of cars. Very dry october also, havent had a single proper rainy day, only 2-3 drizzle like events.
Anyway i moved in all that had to be moved, bot in the house and in the greenhouse. Now i am wondering if i should have left my potted cherimoya plants out a bit more, to get their chill requirements met, i may take them out for a bit more cold.
The greenhouse hasnt ever been so cramped up, i hate having to move it there, radiators that are on the paths are also a big pain in the ass, no way around all this, i decided to cramp the plants in the sunnier greenhouse, as oppose to having them in the dark house.
I will post pics when i can.

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2023, 07:26:07 AM »
Plantinyum, are your radiators on the ground? Do you have space for a ceiling mounted heater? Iíve got infrared heaters mounted on the North wall that work very well for my greenhouse design.  They can be a bit pricey to buy/run.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2023, 04:43:41 PM »
Plantinyum, are your radiators on the ground? Do you have space for a ceiling mounted heater? Iíve got infrared heaters mounted on the North wall that work very well for my greenhouse design.  They can be a bit pricey to buy/run.

, yes ,they are on the ground, i remove them in summer. Will post pictures one of theese days. I probably have the space for a ceiling heater, depending on the size of it. But i dont really need one anymore ,the current heating system is working wonderfull, with the expens only being the wood each year, but its a connection to the existing heating system of the house, so they are both fueld from one burning pit. I dont see electricity as a good option anymore, now that i have this setup.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2023, 11:31:20 AM »
Some pictures, quite bisy inside. Tropicaltoba, the radiators are on several pictures, they are on one side of the paths, a nuisance for plant management, but i'll deal with it for several months only per year. The pots are not quite visible, but around 1/3 of the plants inside are there, gust for winter.
The plastic barrew is filled with water, for watering. Its very close to the radiator, so when i turn on the heating, the water gets heated and i have warm water to water my plants with.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 11:37:29 AM by Plantinyum »

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2023, 07:00:02 PM »
Plantinyum,
Thanks for posting your pics. Iím always curious about the different setups people come up with. Do u have strategic ďmicroclimatesĒ for specific plants? Specifically, I was wondering about what is next to the heater do u need spider mite resistant plants due to the heat and low humidity (not sure low much the rads dry out the air).

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2023, 09:16:41 PM »
Just almost wrecked my whole collection. I thought the heater was working, but it was not turning on and needed to be reset. Didn't check on the plants last few days as it was a busy week with school.
Well I just found that out, so it went to around 27 in the greenhouse. Everything is ok, just a few minor burns on the mangos. The madruno got sharted on though, such a shame, I'll probably have to wait another year till it fruits now.
Everything else was ok though so it was really good RNG.
Annonas and even rambutans were ok. Lost a crop of starfruit, but nothing bad.
I think I also watered heavily the days before so everything is all good.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2023, 02:58:15 AM »
Jaboticaba45, at least all things survived! Shows how even if you have everithyng automated, still have to keep an eye on things awlays! My fear is waking up to a crashed heating system in the gh, everithing can go away so fast, takes only 1 mistake or malfunction, at the wrong time...

Tropicaltoba, i do not aim towards spider mite resistance or enithing, i just hope i dont get them. The radiators do make microclimates close to them i suppose, but last year i did not had problems with plants suffering from the warmth from them, or had spider mite infestation. This year the canopy is dencer, so i may be more prone to an infestation, compared to last year.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 12:33:21 AM by Plantinyum »

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2023, 01:34:20 AM »
Seed starting time in the greenhouse.... Is anyone else loading up their germination areas at the moment? These are all future avocado seedlings, to be distributed to members of the breeding project in 2025:

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2023, 07:11:34 AM »
Yes, my "nursery" is starting to fill up!
I love weird solanums, so have a bunch of different ones going,  my num num trees and henna just came up, and I have some other things I am going to start once I find a safe place for the older kids. My birds love seedlings, so I have to keep them under cover until they are a couple feet tall.
I'll start another chia pet to keep them occupied, also.
I always take cuttings from my tomato plants come fall, and these are already blooming in the greenhouse, so we'll have tomatoes all winter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk