Author Topic: Mango in a Vego Self Watering Rolling Planter  (Read 428 times)

JohnG

• Florida, 8b
    • View Profile
Mango in a Vego Self Watering Rolling Planter
« on: October 27, 2023, 06:58:39 PM »
My wife got me a beautiful Nam Doc Mai in a 7 gallon pot and a vego rolling planter to put it in. The planter is quite large and will be easy for me to roll inside when the temp drops. My question is regarding the self watering tray. It has about a 3 inch tall basin at the bottom to hold water and a tray that sits in it. I've attached a photo. I know mangos need well drained soil and this seems the opposite of that. Would I be better off tossing the tray and drilling a bunch of holes in the bottom of the basin, or would the self watering system work with a mango tree? Any other tips?

I have been using this forum as a resource for years and finally created an account! I appreciate any guidance you can give me.

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
Re: Mango in a Vego Self Watering Rolling Planter
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 08:55:36 PM »
Check altrexyís post regarding mango in container, I donít want to sound like a broken record. No expert but killed a bunch. Any standing water is bad. The only things so far that handle standing water for me are cattely guava, jabo, and guava. I have these sitting in 0.5 inch of water after I water them when they are actively growing.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 08:32:07 AM by Tropicaltoba »

JohnG

• Florida, 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 09:11:51 PM »
Found that post, was a good read, thank you. Seems like it would be best to skip the tray.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 05:30:52 PM »
JohnG, the important thing to note here is that your WIFE bought you this awesome tree.

With our type of plant addiction, it is good to marry an enabler!  ;D

Carolyn

Altrexy

• USA, FL, Miami, 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2023, 08:49:07 PM »
Check altrexyís post regarding mango in container, I donít want to sound like a broken record. No expert but killed a bunch. Any standing water is bad. The only things so far that handle standing water for me are cattely guava, jabo, and guava. I have these sitting in 0.5 inch of water after I water them when they are actively growing.

Really? I was always told not to water my guavas much. Watering them more might be a game changer for me in guava production 🙂
-Alex. Planning for my grandkids

Altrexy

• USA, FL, Miami, 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2023, 08:56:20 PM »
Found that post, was a good read, thank you. Seems like it would be best to skip the tray.

Something that all mango sellers have told me is that mangoes LOVE sand. 2 parts potting mix and one part pure sand should work. I used 2 parts potting soil 1 part pure sand and one part Florida topsoil (fairly sandy on its own). Itís worked well so far and it drains super well. Time will be the ultimate test though as they havenít been in there for over a year yet. One thing is for sure though; mangoes hate wet feet.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 08:59:25 PM by Altrexy »

Tropicaltoba

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2023, 09:28:25 AM »
Iím not that familiar with sand (I use Perilite), I was always concerned the pots would get too heavy. My pots on the roof of my house and if I move them out for the summer I have to carry them up and down a flight of stairs.

Altrexy

• USA, FL, Miami, 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2023, 01:46:38 PM »
Iím not that familiar with sand (I use Perilite), I was always concerned the pots would get too heavy. My pots on the roof of my house and if I move them out for the summer I have to carry them up and down a flight of stairs.
Perlite should work just as well  ;D

JohnG

• Florida, 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2023, 12:07:53 PM »
I appreciate everyone's feedback. My wife got tired of me complaining about the store bought mangos we get here, if this works out I plan on getting all the fruit trees I miss from Miami going in roll around pots! My current plan is to drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of this thing and put a layer of lava rock on the bottom. I have a bag of red lava rock from another project taking up space so it will be good to put that to use. I bought 4 bags of Miracle Grow Cactus and Citrus Soil, and a bag of Perlite. I was going to mix those together but it sounds like adding a shovel full or two of sand would be beneficial also. When I get this done I will post a few pics.

Tropicaltoba

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2023, 01:45:00 PM »
John, there have been studies that rocks in the bottom donít help increase drainage, they just waste root space. For my pots that sit on the ground I actually drill large holes 1Ē on the side at the bottom so the holes donít get plugged from The weight of the pot. The drainage is good but some soil will spill out and make a mess. To stop that I put a small handful of shredded cedar mulch in front of the holes ( 2 holes for <10gallon, 4 for >10 gallon) to act like a course filter to stop the soil falling out. If ceramic pot with large bottom hole they sit on ďfeetĒ or sit on another pot full of soil.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk