Author Topic: Hose end sprayer 1:10 dilution needed for fertillizer, suggestions?  (Read 440 times)

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
Hey all, so Iíve been fertigating (water and dilute fertillizer) my containerized plants with home made organic liquid fertillizer from a worm farm and bokashi composter. Itís working well and everything is super healthy. Iíve been trying to track down a hose end sprayer that had a dilution factor of 10. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Hose end sprayer 1:10 dilution needed for fertillizer, suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 02:59:04 PM »
I was in the same situation but those sprayers I got never worked right so I got a 35gal trash can and a pump from home depot. I attached about 6' of garden hose to the pump with the quick connect fitting. On my long garden hose I water the containers with I put a quick connect also, making me able to switch from fertilizer to water very easily. That way you know it's mixed to the correct ratio.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 10:35:51 PM »
I have tried a handful of hose end sprayers and they have all been unreliable.  I recommend a regular pump sprayer.

Tropicaltoba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 07:31:21 AM »
I actually just found a website that sells a bunch of different Venturi style injectors. They even have pressure and flow charts on their website. Assuming my hose is 50psi and by flow is about 12gallon/minute the rkv175 would give me a dilution of about 15:1. Itís only 40bucks so Iíll probably give it a try.

Has anyone used these before from this company?

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2023, 09:55:55 AM »
I used an even cheaper one on my drip line fertigating my in ground plants but who knows what the final dilution rate was as you probably need to have some pressure and flow meters installed to know what your getting. I don't think it's as important when feeding them in ground since everything really perked up within a couple weeks of doing that. It was organic fertilizer I inoculated with mycorhyzae also. You probably could elevate a container(large enough so you mix 1 batch of fertilizer) and add a hose (cheap clear hose from home depot) that's long enough instead of buying a pump and just add a valve to the end where you hold it and a barb fitting to the bottom of the container with some silicone sealant. If it was a strong enough container sealed up you could probably hook up a fitting for an air compressor and fill it with air to push the water out to save you on buying a pump as well. I just chose the trash can and pump on garden hose since there's lots & lots of plants in containers and there kind of far away from the r/o water. It's a good topic though. I'm interested how others overcome the task on large container gardens. It's just such a pain to mix in a watering can and repeat 20x over and over.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2023, 10:07:55 AM »
I would like to use a hose end sprayer, but because I pump out of my greenhouse pond with a sump pump, it doesn't have the psi to run one, or most venturi pumps.
But the one you are looking at looks like there are low-psi versions. Might have to give it a try!
If you get one, be sure and report on how you like it.
Do you water with a hose in the winter? How do you keep the water warm enough?

Carolyn

Tropicaltoba

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2023, 11:45:36 AM »
Carolyn, I usually just have a cold water line for watering. The water can get really cold in January (40F), but by then I am not having to water much and then would be just using the water from my dehumidifiers. The Venturi would be for the summer, Iíve realized over time that my containerized plants are both unwatered and underfed during the summer months. I think for optimum growth they need daily fertigation.

This fall Iíve been fertigating weekly with a cheap hose end sprayer whose maximum concentration is still more dilute than I like (tap water 110ppm, with the fertigation 200ppm max). But the growth has been remarkable even with it this dilute.

In the past I only used solid organics as a top dressing twice a year. A alfalfa/verimcompost in January (the alfalfa I supposed to break down over a year), and then a mix of composed fruit peels and vermicompost (potassium rich) in may. I was treating them like in growing plants cause there isnít much info on containerized culture. All the composting people say the liquid byproducts of compost/vermicompost/bolashi should be thrown away.

The big issue with the solid organics was the fruit flies and fungus gnats, it was crazy. There are basically no flies anymore with the dilute fertigation cause all the chemical energy has been sucked out from the decomposition. The secondary benefit is that the plants are even more happy with the regular dilute feed. I think I should have been thinking about things as a hydroponic setup.

I get about 20 gallons a week of deionized water from a dessicant and compressor dehumidifier. The water is warm and usually plentiful enough when the tap water is just above freezing. Electricity is relatively cheap here (vast hydroelectric reserves).

I will let everyone know how it works out.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2023, 11:53:50 PM »
35gal trash can and a pump from home depot

This looks like a simple solution that I think I can jury rig at home, I have a pretty high gpm water pump sitting around somewhere in my bins (I'd set it up to fertigate an indoor grow tent but didn't end up using it).

I tried using the hose end sprayer and didn't even get through one watering cycle before it plugged up. I have gallons of free nutrients to use up somehow and need some way to reliably dose it.

Tropicaltoba

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2023, 07:43:43 AM »
K, Iíve tried a couple of different things to fix the clogging. The hose end sprayer I have now does have a little filter on the intake, but itís surface area isnít enough. I tried prefiltering and that was too slow. Recently with my leachate containers I have a spigot about 2 inches from the bottom and I try not to disturb it so the solids settle to the bottom. That seems to work pretty well right now.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2023, 03:53:34 PM »
The large container and pump really saves a lot of frustration. The last hose end sprayer said "guaranteed" so I reached out to the company for my money back and still waiting for their response, going on probably 4months and dont expect a reply. When I'm done fertilizing I rinse it out and then purge the system and the hose with clean water. Wouldn't hurt adding a backflow preventer to the spigot also to keep from contaminating your water.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk