Author Topic: Madison Citrus Nursery.  (Read 2450 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Madison Citrus Nursery.
« on: July 16, 2021, 01:14:04 PM »
I just received my order of a red Grapefruit tree from Madison Citrus Nursery.  I have been in citrus for 40 years, and have purchased trees from just about most of the nurseries.  The Grapefruit tree from Madison Citrus Nursery was by far the very best tree I have ever purchased.  There are many fine nurseries that offer quality trees, all I am saying the grapefruit tree I received from Madison is the best one of all the trees I have purchased over the years.  I also seen two trees that Laaz received from them and they were just as good. 

https://madisoncitrusnursery.com/
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 02:38:33 PM by Millet »

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: Madison Citrus Nursery.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 03:06:53 PM »
Very interesting.  I see they have Etrog and finger limes in stock.  And many other things I haven't seen elsewhere.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 04:30:30 PM »
Thanks for posting this.  The owner is a former (or current?) forum member, right?  I remember checking stock when it first opened, but since then he has far, far more varieties, including many I had never even heard of before.  Very nice.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 04:51:01 PM »
Brian the owner is Hershel.  His screen name is Hershel.  I normally see Hershel at the Citrus Expo.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 05:21:15 PM by Millet »

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 05:05:03 PM »
I knoticed they charge $24 per tree except Fukushu they charge $44 for the same size tree.  Anyone know why or just a typo.

sea4

• NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 02:09:10 PM »
Thank you, I was unaware of this source.
A lot of fun stuff (not all of it in stock)! So many quats! Really unusual to see all the limequats offered.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 07:17:38 PM »
Super nice guy, Mr Boyd is. I bought some Keraji and shiranui from him last month.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 08:27:41 PM »
Can Kerji and Shiranui pass the NC winter? or what will be the effective protection for winter?

Super nice guy, Mr Boyd is. I bought some Keraji and shiranui from him last month.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2021, 09:55:20 PM »
I got a shiranui from Madison this year and I plan to protect it like my other mandarin/satsumas/kumquat/grapefruit: 4 mil plastic over a wooden frame, roll up one side to vent when not freezing, small space heater regulated by a thermo cube, water barrels.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 10:01:55 PM by Citradia »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2021, 10:50:31 PM »
Citradia I like your microclimate setup, it looks effective. 

Shiranui has been a really good citrus for me.  Consistently productive, and tasty.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2021, 01:45:22 PM »
Citradia,

It looks very efficient design.   I guess it will need expand with time.

MadisonCitrusNursery

• Ray City, Georgia USA
    • View Profile
    • Madison Citrus Nursery
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 02:11:12 PM »
I knoticed they charge $24 per tree except Fukushu they charge $44 for the same size tree.  Anyone know why or just a typo.

Poncirsguy, we won't have Fukushu available for a while since it is slower growing.  We will revisit pricing when we have some ready to put on the site as available and will see if we can reduce the price point.   Im working with Hershell to help get everything setup on the site and try to help answer any questions I see pop up.   I know his goal is to try to make everything attainable at a very reasonable price without sacrificing the quality of the trees being sold.

Millet, thank you for the kind words, Hershell was really happy to see the message from you.
US Based Citrus Tree & Citrus Rootstock Nursery - http://www.MadisonCitrusNursery.com

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2021, 05:57:36 PM »
Is there a robust source of so many varieties that can be found in Texas?  I am jealous so many cool varieties can be delivered outside of my area. The growers i am aware of around here are wholesale to the nursery trade only.  The other sources for citrus this forum speaks about won't deliver in Texas. Would love to get a shiranui somehow.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2021, 11:25:21 PM »
Can Kerji and Shiranui pass the NC winter? or what will be the effective protection for winter?

They are too young to try. I will put them in the unheated greenhouse or in the basement for a couple of years.

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2021, 08:43:36 AM »
What rootstock is primarily used?

MadisonCitrusNursery

• Ray City, Georgia USA
    • View Profile
    • Madison Citrus Nursery
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2021, 12:59:11 PM »
We have been using carrizo, rubidoux, our plan is to eventually change over to mostly 942, and a few flying dragon depending on the size of the variety.  We do have just rootstock available on the site for sale as well in case anyone is interested in having more control over that and want to do their own grafting. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 01:01:03 PM by MadisonCitrusNursery »
US Based Citrus Tree & Citrus Rootstock Nursery - http://www.MadisonCitrusNursery.com

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2021, 01:37:38 PM »
I was gifted with a harriss Citrus  Meiwa kumquat tree that was grafted on Kuharske Citrange.  It grew well the first year and stalled the second year.  The graft union started turning dark brown on the Meiwa scion and spread around the trunk for 3 more years.  Last year I planted a Flying dragon a half inch away and did an approach graft.  I unwrapped it now  11 months later.

My point is that the Meiwa kumquat can only fe grafted to very few rootstock.  PT, FD, K x R, Benton Citrange.  There are probably a few others.
https://crec.ifas.ufl.edu/extension/citrus_rootstock/rootstock-literature/1998%20Ferguson&Dasle,%20FSHS.%20Kumquat%20Calamondin%20Compatibility.pdf

Lofigirls

• Plant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2021, 11:01:37 PM »
 ;D ;D