Author Topic: Best Mangos 2021  (Read 5758 times)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Best Mangos 2021
« on: July 05, 2021, 05:27:22 PM »
We had the chance to try new mangos this year and revisit old favorites, as well as meet forum members. It seems the GOAT thread is confusing GOATs with Best of 2021s, so maybe a new thread is in order?

For me:
Pineapple Pleasure won the season. Amazing mango. While I usually don't like high brix mangos, this one was amazing. We're looking for a tree.

Apricot was one of my favorites this year (and last). May have to consider grafting a tree.

Peach Cobbler was great.

Juicy Peach was great.

Saigon was a new one and I really liked it.

Pickerings were great again this year.

Was wanting to try Mun Kun Si again. Had them from two different sources and liked them, but wasn't knocked out by them. Still, seedlings are sprouting.

Orange Sherbet was on top of its game, which meant I hated them. It's way too saccharine sweet and orange creamsicle for my taste, and they make me sick.

Other notables:
Kasturi was very interesting. I don't know why, but I liked the gasoline taste.

Coconut Creams were a dud. They were good but lacked the strong coconut component. Nothing remarkable.

PPKs were also a dud. Good but lacked the strong citrus component. Nothing remarkable.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 05:42:58 PM by fliptop »

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
Re: Best Mangos 2021
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 07:12:53 PM »
For me Orange Sherbet, Kathy stood out so far this season. Many others are great. But so far this season they caused the most emotions.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 07:46:38 PM »
For me Orange Sherbet, Kathy stood out so far this season. Many others are great. But so far this season they caused the most emotions.
You are a fan of Lemon Zest. In your opinion how does Orange Sherbert taste compared to Lemon Zest. Any similarities?What are the subtle differences.
I have an orange sherbet that has over a dozen on it. I've never tasted it. I have also never tasted lemon zest.

As of right now Karen Michelle is the one that's on my mind :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 08:03:26 PM »
"Caused the most emotions" is a great way to put it, weiss613! We didn't yet come across any Kathys this season, but last year it definitely stood out.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 08:59:13 PM »
You are a fan of Lemon Zest. In your opinion how does Orange Sherbert taste compared to Lemon Zest. Any similarities?What are the subtle differences.
I have an orange sherbet that has over a dozen on it. I've never tasted it. I have also never tasted lemon zest.

Orange Sherbet has more of an orange jello/orange Hi-C component.  LZ can nv range from a lemon custard to creamsicle to a lemon-orange custardy creamsicle.

PPK is more lemon curd (hence lemon meringue) to creamy lemon candy profile.
- Rob

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 09:26:39 PM »

The PPK FAMILY IS GREAT. CAN ACTUALLY SAY THAT EACH SISTER IS AMAZING. IF RATING THEM ZERO TO 100 I put Orange Sherbet at 100. The other 2 are tied at 97.5. So what’s a 50 and by 50 I mean average so that would be Haden. But this is all meaningless because many wives have said just give me a Haden or Glenn over all the new varieties of mango. In the last 5-7 years I always went with bsbullie’s tastes and I’m happy as heck with what I planted. But I am going to tweek it a bit by converting some trees to Kathy and Orange Sherbets. I already have a bunch of each but this year they are my favorite ones. When I started on the TFF Orange Sherbet was unattainable and became mythical and mystical  unless a friend gave you scions. Now a version has been available from Zill for the last 3-4 years which I planted back then and first tasted it this year after my trees were in the ground for over 3 years and it knocked my socks off last week.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 09:42:15 PM »

Orange Sherbet has more of an orange jello/orange Hi-C component.  LZ can nv range from a lemon custard to creamsicle to a lemon-orange custardy creamsicle.

PPK is more lemon curd (hence lemon meringue) to creamy lemon candy profile.

Here's my orange sherbet I got a 15 gallon tree from Alex three seasons ago.I fell in love with mangoes just at the right time when you all had hashed out what the the top-tier trees where.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 09:48:26 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 10:01:54 PM »
I cannot verbalize the differences. I’ll tell you this crazy thing. I took a spoonful in the kitchen of my 1st OS and got very excited and took a big scoop and went in the bedroom where my wife was walking on the treadmill and she took the spoonful of the OS. She loved it and said she tasted coconut. I said you’re crazy. Then I sneezed and blew my nose in a tissue and then smelled the coconut and apologized. I don’t remember anyone saying coconut and OS together. That OS sat on the counter for 13 days till it turned a bit more light yellow. It was still firm and not the slightest wrinkled. I’m leaving for a month on the 18th to visit my kids and grandkids and I want to take a big suitcase full of Cotton Candy’s and Orange Sherbets. I’m almost ready to start praying that their seasons don’t pass before I pick them. Same for my Lemon Zests Lemon Meringues Sweet Tarts and a few more cause where they live there is nothing like these mangoes 

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2021, 10:09:20 PM »
GOAT thread was from 2019, started by some lame brain.  It should not have been dug up.  I'm coming to the conclusion there is no such thing.  Best Mangos 2021 can mean two things--which mangos are your favorites in 2021, and which mango varieties had a great year, realizing their full potential.  Both interpretations seem legit to me.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 10:15:04 PM by johnb51 »
John

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 01:12:33 AM »
I only tried 10 this season. Record for me. Loved pineapple pleasure but Carrie was by far the best.
Shane

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2021, 10:23:32 PM »
sweet tart
cac
peach cobbler
maha chinok
ice cream

« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 10:06:09 PM by achetadomestica »

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 11:30:28 PM »
Tried about 35 cultivars this season many were repeats.

So far best of 21’ -

-Pineapple pleasure

-Karen Michelle

-Juliette

-lemon zest

(IN THAT ORDER)

Honorable mention:

-Super Julie

-Kathy

-Had a great Angie and a terrible Angie from two different locations which has happened to me 3 times with Angie now.

- NDM actually has a very nice honey/lime flavor this year for me

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2021, 01:15:13 AM »
Honest Abe if you haven’t had an Orange Sherbet yet this season I will give you 1 if your visit is this week. Any later and I’ll be picking a large suitcase full for when I visit my son and his 7 children. So if you haven’t had an OS this season or ever I’d love to hear your impressions since you totally listed your favorites this year. That should be very entertaining either way!! And you will be getting an OS at exactly the perfectly picked time as in 2018 Zill picked all his on July 16th.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2021, 02:40:10 PM »
Tried quite a few already but I like strong flavored mangos and so far carrie has been on top. Last year they seemed washed out but were really medicinally flavored this year. Second would be Kathy, then sweet tart and peach cobbler, 23-2, Maha and lemon zest about equal, pim seng min, The rest were good to average and still some left to try.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2021, 07:14:45 PM »
Tried quite a few already but I like strong flavored mangos and so far carrie has been on top. Last year they seemed washed out but were really medicinally flavored this year. Second would be Kathy, then sweet tart and peach cobbler, 23-2, Maha and lemon zest about equal, pim seng min, The rest were good to average and still some left to try.

Carrie is OK with me ripe, picked green, medicinally flavored and anything else from any random Car tree in any random year. It will never taste like a Glenn.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2021, 08:37:32 PM »
Tommyng, did you grow the Pim Seng Mun mangos? They were my favorites at a tasting many years ago, and I haven't had any since then. I'm waiting for my seedlings to produce, but will probably need to hunt some out next season.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2021, 08:47:46 PM »
achetadomestica, I'm surprised Ice Cream didn't make your list, based on your comments about it on another thread?

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2021, 09:07:45 PM »
Tommyng, did you grow the Pim Seng Mun mangos? They were my favorites at a tasting many years ago, and I haven't had any since then. I'm waiting for my seedlings to produce, but will probably need to hunt some out next season.

My best friend grows it, it’s a unique flavored mango ripe. I like it also and It tastes like longans and you can eat it green.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2021, 10:11:21 PM »
achetadomestica, I'm surprised Ice Cream didn't make your list, based on your comments about it on another thread?
You are right I added it to my list. I ate the second one a few minutes ago.
I also changed my mind I wish the fruit was 2 lbs. It was overwhelming flavor
in a good way the first time. Looks like I am going to be planting another tree

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2021, 09:11:07 AM »
Ice Cream--The plant produces an average yield although trees are not very productive in Florida due to poor fungus resistance
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Cream_(mango)

This wiki probably sent in by Squam. Most or all mango wiki are Squam authored or Squam added on to, he went on a wiki mango tear a few years back.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2021, 03:12:52 PM »
Honest Abe if you haven’t had an Orange Sherbet yet this season I will give you 1 if your visit is this week. Any later and I’ll be picking a large suitcase full for when I visit my son and his 7 children. So if you haven’t had an OS this season or ever I’d love to hear your impressions since you totally listed your favorites this year. That should be very entertaining either way!! And you will be getting an OS at exactly the perfectly picked time as in 2018 Zill picked all his on July 16th.

Can’t wait buddy!
Thanks!

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2021, 03:14:16 PM »
I must add

“peach cobbler”

To my list of favorites this year, And probably moved into my top ten now.

Really Tasted like a tart peach cobbler to me. Very juicy. Delicious.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2021, 01:47:39 PM »
Just had my first “Sugarloaf” of the year from Alex. I must say it was my favorite again for 2021 season so far. Followed close by “Pineapple pleasure”

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2021, 02:28:25 PM »
Abe,

Post a picture of your Sugarloaf before you sliced it?

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2021, 07:20:54 PM »

Amrapali is so awesome. This one had a cantaloupe melon flavor. It was dark orange with a very rich flavor and nice texture. :)
I am so freaking glad I planted this tree. I just had my first Orange Sherbert off of my tree. It had ripened for 7 days and it was awesome but I think I like Amrapali better. The only thing that comes close is a Malika that I had last season off of my tree. The only thing that might change this is I have a Sugarloaf ripening.
As far as Carla goes it's good mango but for a large mango. I would prefer to have Venus by far
This is just one sampling of orange essence but I would say it's not in the same league as Orange Sherbert
I would say for this season it is Amrapali Carrie Orange Sherbert  Coconut Cream and a local Bombay seedling. These are the ones that I most enjoyed thus far.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 08:08:46 PM by bovine421 »