Author Topic: What's wrong with these bananas?  (Read 2085 times)

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
Re: What's wrong with these bananas?
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2022, 09:35:26 AM »
Well, after a couple of months of waiting these little babies finally came through!

Two weeks ago I cut the lower half of the stalk and put them in a paper bag and let them ripen. They were really tasty and sweet though slightly tough in the middle. But overall they were great. Probably about 35 fruits.

I just took this photo of what remains and as you can see they are getting ripe. I picked one and ate it, and the flavor and texture was perfect - far better than the ones I cut earlier. I think I'll just leave them hanging and eat them as they ripen right where they are. As for the other trees, there are no new fruits yet but I am sure they will produce. Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions and guidance.

Amy K

• FL zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2022, 12:34:15 PM »
That wonderful. Look so much better, you did a great job turning it around. Congrats on the taste

Calusa

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2022, 06:53:28 PM »
Thanks Amy.

Is there a problem with having two trees the same size next to each other, or should there only be one big tree and a couple of smaller ones?

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2022, 07:07:44 PM »
In my experience banana roots are pretty self contained and grow downward, with medium length white strands that are about as thick as a pencil. I have two next to eachother that grow great every year, but then again they aren't fruiting bananas. Just speaking from what I've seen transplanting them, best of luck
instagram @trumansacco

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2022, 09:42:14 PM »
Thanks Amy.

Is there a problem with having two trees the same size next to each other, or should there only be one big tree and a couple of smaller ones?

Ideally you want 3 trees per mat. One ready to bloom, one about half grown, and one just starting. If you get too many stalks, they compete for light and nutrients and the bunches get small.

Calusa

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2022, 11:19:35 AM »
Thanks Amy.

Ideally you want 3 trees per mat. One ready to bloom, one about half grown, and one just starting. If you get too many stalks, they compete for light and nutrients and the bunches get small.

Just what I wanted to know - thanks! :)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2022, 03:36:52 PM »
A well grown healthy Dwarf Nam Wah will make 10 or more hands.
Here is a comparison set of photos which can help identify Nam Wah vs Blue Java. The difference is clear enough but there are many out there mixing these up. Some tissue culture plantlets can be off-type and mislabeling does happen.

Calusa

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2022, 10:36:33 AM »
Thanks!

JoshuaTilaranCR

• Los Angeles, Tilaran, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2022, 09:28:49 AM »
I skimmed through this and didn't see anyone ask if the plants that were fruiting were from the first root corm that was planted. It could be that the corm was harvested and cut far back before it was planted and that's why there weren't many bananas and they weren't that big. Give the plants time and see what happens with the next racks, they should be bigger.

Just my thoughts but that could be the case for the small racks. Also for the people saying to only leave a couple pups, that's more recommended for plantations. As long as you're giving the plants a lot of organic matter, like dumping kitchen scraps around them and cutting and dropping all the leaves and spent plants, you can certainly leave all the pups. One year I tried the "two to three" pups thing and my total harvest went down quite a bit. Now I leave everything except the occasional plant I take out to gift or sell and I almost always have racks on the plants.

Calusa

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2022, 08:29:06 PM »
Both fruiting trees were the original plants I put in the ground from pots.

JoshuaTilaranCR

• Los Angeles, Tilaran, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2022, 08:42:02 AM »
That's the problem right there then. Were they sword sucker size. Tall, strong and thin leaves? Or were they water suckers, also called seedling or tissue culture babies? Short with wide leaves and a thin trunk?

I bought a dwarf plantain once that was a water sucker or "seedling" and when it fruited there were maybe 10 plantains, probably less, and they were small. Some people say to cut those down when new pups start to grow but I always leave them.

The next racks you get should be much bigger and fuller. Good luck!