Author Topic: My Keitt Timing  (Read 261 times)

DAC

• Florida Keys
    • View Profile
My Keitt Timing
« on: March 31, 2023, 01:22:45 PM »
I planted a Keitt because it was classified as a late mango. Do you think these are going to hold out until late July or August? This is my first experience getting a mango tree to fruit but they sure seem to be getting big - not sure if they are going to stick around as long as they are supposed to?

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
Re: My Keitt Timing
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 01:41:41 PM »
I planted a Keitt because it was classified as a late mango. Do you think these are going to hold out until late July or August? This is my first experience getting a mango tree to fruit but they sure seem to be getting big - not sure if they are going to stick around as long as they are supposed to?

Yes.
However, the larger fruit on the tree do tend to fall off before the smaller. Usually animals/birds start pecking the fruit and occasionally it will crack and once cracked the bugs attack it. If you cut out that small area, it will usually still taste good but the main thing is to watch the fruit for animal & bug attack and pull it and it and let it ripen in house if only a few fruit on the tree.

I suspect you will have less fungus cracking then I in Palm City. I suspect some will stay on the tree till Sept. if not attacked as they hang on very good and stay almost greenish which helps them hang.

I have both original large size Keitt and some seedling keitt that are smaller sized. The smaller sized seedling trees tend to keep fruit into Sept. Oct. hanging smaller and greenish for a long time.

DAC

• Florida Keys
    • View Profile
Re: My Keitt Timing
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2023, 06:03:00 PM »
Thank you Palmcity!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk