Author Topic: Fruit trees that grow well in pots? (And will fruit!) Dwarf species? Etc..  (Read 2292 times)

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
Looking to expand my collection! I do not know of very many that work well in pots. I live in zone 5A so very cold winters. I have a rather tropical emulated setup. They must be able to withstand pots their entire life! I love fruit trees! Any info on any is appreciated!

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit trees that grow well in pots? (And will fruit!) Dwarf species? Etc..
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 05:23:48 PM »
I vote for pineapple, they grow easy in pots.  Sorry its not a tree...  You could probably get a strawberry guava to fruit in a pot pretty easily too.  Another option is a micro banana cultivar.  Theres ones that fruit at just a few feet tall.  You probably only need a 10gal pot for the guava and banana.  The pineapple you can grow in a 3 or 5 gal pot. 
Brad Spaugh

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 05:49:51 PM »
All guavas grow well and flower in pots easy and are easy care.
Ugni fruit ,a relative of the guavas and strawberry guava ive seen them fruiting on half a gallon pots/2 liter pots.
Sugar apples grow as small trees in pots and fruit verry fast from seed in @ 2 years,citrus trees and manny otther.
A lot of annonaceae fruit well in pots but the sugar apple fruits the fastest .The video is all you need to know about sugar apples https://youtu.be/Lmf4Jgm9ETo

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 07:51:38 PM »
Thank you both for the reply! I already have a pineapple, I just have an anchor for trees. I have a truly tiny carvendish, and several citrus. I just don't like how pineapples fruit once and done. Is there any type of guava that tastes better than others that would do well? Also I haven't seen sugar apples before. I'll have to check it out thank you!

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 08:05:08 PM »
Thank you both for the reply! I already have a pineapple, I just have an anchor for trees. I have a truly tiny carvendish, and several citrus. I just don't like how pineapples fruit once and done. Is there any type of guava that tastes better than others that would do well? Also I haven't seen sugar apples before. I'll have to check it out thank you!
Bsst tasting guava is Ugni Molinae and its not really a guava but a relative.Has verry small fruit.
Another one similar to Ugni is Austromyrtus but i dont have that iet.
Feijoa is also a guava relative,i grow them in pots.
Guavas are generally easy care and easy fruiting in pots.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 08:07:29 PM »
Bsst tasting guava is Ugni Molinae and its not really a guava but a relative.Has verry small fruit.
Another one similar to Ugni is Austromyrtus but i dont have that iet.
Feijoa is also a guava relative,i grow them in pots.
Guavas are generally easy care and easy fruiting in pots.

Awesome, thank you for the info! Do you know of any reliable source to obtain these from/seeds from?

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 08:21:02 PM »
I bought expensive seeds from Ebay that didnt germinated except 2 Feijoa ,so i stead i buyed the plants in pots.
These guavas grow verry fast ,are easy care and reliable fruiting.
Same with sugar apples seeds and cherimoya,i ordered like 6 batches of cherimoya seeds from different sellers until i got one single seed to germinate.
Its better to buy young plants if you can and order them online from your closest nursery.
If you want somme rare plants and you can only buy them from Ebay,make sure the seeds are fresh,talk with the seller first.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 08:32:40 PM »
I bought expensive seeds from Ebay that didnt germinated except 2 Feijoa ,so i stead i buyed the plants in pots.
These guavas grow verry fast ,are easy care and reliable fruiting.
Same with sugar apples seeds and cherimoya,i ordered like 6 batches of cherimoya seeds from different sellers until i got one single seed to germinate.
Its better to buy young plants if you can and order them online from your closest nursery.
If you want somme rare plants and you can only buy them from Ebay,make sure the seeds are fresh,talk with the seller first.

Sounds great! Thank you for the tips! I'll be looking some up!

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 09:29:16 PM »
It seems like most fruit trees will fruit in pots, especially grafted ones.  I have a kumquat tree in a pot that made a gallon or so of fruit and its maybe 3ft tall.  Somebody got a soursop to fruit in a pot in their living room.  I have a pummelo that fruits despite being just a couple scraggly branches in a pot.  Mandarins, lemons, limes, oranges, guava, starfruit, bunchosia, miracle berry, all fruiting in containers.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 09:30:50 PM by brian »

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 10:24:12 PM »
All my trees are in pots.
Ones that have bloomed or fruited so far are - jaboticaba, soursop, cherimoya, about a dozen types of citrus including finger lime, tamarillo, caper, kukui, annatto, cinnamon, coffee, cacao, pitangatuba, pitanga, dragonfruit, noni, moringa, eggfruit, several types of guava, several types of banana, dwarf pineapple, miracle fruit and vanilla orchid.
The others are just getting old enough to think about fruiting.

Have fun!

Carolyn (zone 6 with a big greenhouse)

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 10:28:35 PM »
Thank you both for suggestions! I am figuring out grafting myself with flying dragon rootstock, so I hope to have some fruiting citrus soon. But most of what I want to do is grow from seed as well! I do have some coffee going, there's just an amazing satisfaction growing from seed haha. I will have to look some of these cultivars up. Thank you!!

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2019, 10:53:29 PM »
Drogonfruit is ridiculously easy to grow from seed.  I smushed up a small piece of the fruit into a container and every single seed sprouted making a fuzzy carpet.  I removed all but one and that lucky seed grew into a big cactus in no time.  You could plant a whole hedge of them from a single fruit’s seeds.  Id love to see somebody do this in a warm climate, it would make a wicked fence

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2019, 11:58:39 PM »
Drogonfruit is ridiculously easy to grow from seed.  I smushed up a small piece of the fruit into a container and every single seed sprouted making a fuzzy carpet.  I removed all but one and that lucky seed grew into a big cactus in no time.  You could plant a whole hedge of them from a single fruit’s seeds.  Id love to see somebody do this in a warm climate, it would make a wicked fence

Brian, you should check out this video.  At the end he zooms out on the rows of DF. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sxIKjdhJpE&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 12:01:08 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 09:27:23 AM »
Almost all of my trees have come from seed.
I am a seed collecting addict and have brought home seeds from all over the world.
Half the vacation pictures my husband has taken of me consist of me either looking up in trees, down at the ground, or eating some local fruit and picking out the seeds.

Carolyn

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 10:58:53 AM »

Brian, you should check out this video.  At the end he zooms out on the rows of DF. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sxIKjdhJpE&feature=youtu.be

Hah, that is an impressive thorn farm

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2019, 11:20:19 AM »
Barbados cherry is tasty and readily grows and fruits in pots, I have a 4 footer in a root pruner pot and it fruits from spring to late fall(fruiting now). I am in 9b and there are a few things I am going to try in pots over the next year or two, cinnamon, cocao, coffee, various annonnas and stuff like that since I cant get away with them in ground.

The_Last_Saxon

• Vancouver, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2019, 08:28:32 PM »
Trade Wind Fruits

This site is gold for obtaining tropical fruit seeds. :)

jimreevescairns

• Cairns, Far North Queensland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2019, 01:58:21 AM »
Interesting thread
Can you grow abiu in pots ?
Cheers

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2019, 08:22:37 AM »
@The_Last_Saxon: Tradewinds is ok, a lot of their seeds are less than viable however. I fully expect a 75% loss on packets of seeds from them, ie: if I order 4 packets of seeds, I expect one to be viable and if lucky I might get 3 out of ten of those seeds to germinate.

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2019, 08:38:10 AM »
In Russia, because of the cold climate, a lot is grown in pots. Citrus fruits, Annanna, Cocoa, Coffee, Longan, Jackfruit, Banana, Eugenia,Jaboticaba and much more. When creating certain conditions, you can achieve positive results from any plant.
❀ Sergey ❀

The_Last_Saxon

• Vancouver, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2019, 09:43:23 AM »
@The_Last_Saxon: Tradewinds is ok, a lot of their seeds are less than viable however. I fully expect a 75% loss on packets of seeds from them, ie: if I order 4 packets of seeds, I expect one to be viable and if lucky I might get 3 out of ten of those seeds to germinate.

I've always had 90+% germination rate with their seeds. So have other people / friends I know who have ordered from them. They're a bit pricy but always send good quality stuff (or else compensate you if its damaged).

Maybe your germination set up is "off", so to speak?