Makok
« on: July 26, 2020, 11:08:18 AM »
Looking for a Makok sapodilla tree.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Re: Makok
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 11:46:42 AM »
I apologize for interupting, I almost purchase a Makok, but changed my mind and purchase an Alano and a Silas instead. The reason is many growers find out that Makok does not produce well. The taste is similar to Alano, but bigger size, unfortunately most people say it will only give you few fruit a year.
If you don't mind the price, Papaya Tree Nursery has an unknown variety that very productive ( I visit the nursery not too long ago), delicious, and precocious (already has fruits in 5 gallon). But the price is $125 for a 5 gallon.
If I do not already have Alano and Silas, I would buy it. His trees are usually very productive and fruit early. Just my 2 cents.

Shobha

• Hacienda Heights Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 12:48:06 PM »
Thanks for the input.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 12:58:56 PM »
I bought a small 'Makok' (2-in. pot) from Jupiter, FL on eBay back in February. They are still available from the same vendor.

It was only 4-inches tall when I got it but I eventually moved it into a 1 gal. pot.  It is growing very slowly and has only produced about three, maybe four more pairs of leaves since I got it and repotted it.  And it is watered regularly and fertilized weakly every so often.  Recently I read somewhere that this cultivar is very slow-growing.

I chose the 'Makok' because it is supposed to stay small, but now I'd kinda like to add a 'Butterscotch' if I can find one.

Paul M.
==

Shobha

• Hacienda Heights Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 01:02:33 PM »
Didn't it us slow growing plant. Hmmm will look for vigorous growing which is productive. Thanks

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 01:07:03 PM »
Champa nursery had plenty of makok, alano, hasya, and molix in stock when I was there last week, 7 gal was $100 and 15 gal $200.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 07:08:09 AM »
hawkfish007, thanks for the info, I will need to check them out.
I do have both the Alano and Makok about the same size (5ft tall), and the Alano does have many fruits each year while the Makok has flowered but never had fruits on it. I purchased my Alano from Papaya tree (Alex), and agree with palingkecil that the Alano is productive.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 03:59:48 PM »
My Makok did take a long (in semi shade) time to bear but its diminutive size and flavor make it the one that would go before many others.
Regards,

Gary