Author Topic: What to do when the power is out...  (Read 614 times)

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
What to do when the power is out...
« on: February 14, 2021, 12:53:29 AM »
So we had a winter storm last night with lots of heavy, wet snow.  Neighbors lost power overnight, so this morning I decided that now would be a good time to finally buy that backup generator we have been talking about for the greenhouse.  The furnaces are gas, but unless the fans are on, the heat piles up in the ceiling, doing the plants little good.

Literally as I was Googling generators, our power went down (just came back on after 14 hours).

Harbor Freight, here we come! Along with half the city...
Got the very last generator (a lady even tried to buy it off of us in the parking lot as we were putting it our car!!!), and had the greenhouse hooked up lickety split. 

Hubby and I enjoyed a wonderful dinner out there in our little seating area, basking in the warmth of the furnace, with a nice glass of wine, the parrots chatting to us and the quail laughing, beneath the only lights in the neighborhood!  Quite fun for Valentine's weekend! 

Cheers,
Carolyn

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: What to do when the power is out...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 01:01:39 AM »
I keep a few propane tanks and those "Mr heater" attachments as backup heat in case I lose power.  Requires manual setup, but power failures are rare for me.

I hadn't noticed any significant issues with lack of circulation.  I'm sure it isn't optimal this way, but it seems to be just fine for emergencies

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 01:10:03 AM »
i run a propane generator to backfeed my house off a 250gal propane tank.  and another 250gl tank at my well pump for backup when the power goes out.  love the propane, it can run for weeks, never spoils, bever gums up the carburator, the truck comes and keeps it topped off, no jerry cans of gasoline to keep. 
Brad Spaugh

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 04:24:42 AM »
I'm with the Mr. Heaters, too.  In the coldest times here in Tampa one Mr. Heater set on medium will keep my 12 x 20-ft greenhouse right around 50 to 55ºF.

Sometimes it can feel like my greenhouse is warmer than my house, lucky orchids!

Never had a problem with the MH and I always keep an extra tank of LP gas at hand in case of an extended cold spell.

Paul M.
==

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 07:41:52 AM »
Happy to hear this Carolyn!  Happy V.D. to yours.  V.D. is a huge money for our area but everything is closed down and the worse is yet to come.

Good luck,
Mark

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 08:39:41 AM »
Built in generator.
- Rob

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 08:40:11 AM »
i run a propane generator to backfeed my house off a 250gal propane tank.  and another 250gl tank at my well pump for backup when the power goes out.  love the propane, it can run for weeks, never spoils, bever gums up the carburator, the truck comes and keeps it topped off, no jerry cans of gasoline to keep.

Great setup, will look into those.