Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Not enough Durian Discussion

<< < (2/138) > >>

Jabba The Hutt:

--- Quote from: Gone tropo on March 18, 2021, 01:32:07 AM ---Hi Mike yeh i realise most of the members are from south florida so Im kinda giving the yanks a bit of a ribbing about the mangoes (although they are 2nd rate compared to durian!!!)  Maybe we need an ultra tropical sub section.  I reckon peter salleras could get red prawn to fruit in florida though.

--- End quote ---

Once I can locate a Red Prawn then it's game on... same with the most cold tolerant varieties. Curious about Arancillo...

Finca La Isla:
In Costa Rica there exists a lot of interest in durians. Last year total I planted around 600 durian seeds for grafting. Most of the interest is in grafted trees. They’re available but with very limited selection. We also plant select seeds to try and generate new, locally selected varieties. It’s a slow, multigenerational project!  But we’re into it.
I’ve done two trips to Malaysia in the last 3 years doing farm stays at durian farms, absorbing what I can.
Here, people will drive 6 hours or more to get durian, rent houses nearby for the season. It’s motivational and we’re convinced it’s the future for small fruit farmers in this area.
Peter

Finca La Isla:
In this area jackfruit gets only half the price of champedek or terap. The next best fruit to have for sale at the moment is mangosteen.

spencerw:

--- Quote from: Gone tropo on March 18, 2021, 01:32:07 AM ---Hi Mike yeh i realise most of the members are from south florida so Im kinda giving the yanks a bit of a ribbing about the mangoes (although they are 2nd rate compared to durian!!!)  Maybe we need an ultra tropical sub section.  I reckon peter salleras could get red prawn to fruit in florida though.

--- End quote ---

i like that idea for an ultra tropical sub. id spend a lot more time on this site if there was a way to filter. its easier to just spend time on hawaii tropical fruit growers facebook. where everyone has the same playing ground   

im planting 4 acres of durian here in hawaii. got a couple grafts but mostly focusing on seedling genetics. its gonna be fun! durian is the undeniable king   

Finca La Isla:
Four acres is pret. good size really. Lots of commercial durian farms in Malaysia are about that size and they are doing pretty well.
Fortunately durian is easy to top work and thus very agile. Superior material can easily be used to convert trees that don’t show a lot of promise. I think 2-3 years to be back in production at a commercial level. This last year I’ve planted 15 select seedlings from Penang, hoping for something fantastic!
I have 3 trees older than 25 years in production. From those 3 I harvested 600kg the last season!
Peter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version