Author Topic: Varieties underperforming and overperforming this year due to dry conditions etc  (Read 692 times)

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
Rosigold: Often a underperformer in my wet environment is an overperformer this year probably due to the dryness during the less spring rainfall.
Many years I considered cutting that half of the tree off with a few fruits only and often fungus infected.
It has been a better producer than the Glen on that tree that has half & half Rosigold.

Just another reason to keep many varieties and diversification as you never know what will happen year to year..

Pickering: As another forum member has mentioned for their pickering and mine also, it has been a dismal year with smaller than average fruit and little production with the drops and dryness. Last year was it's best year. About 4 years ago it tasted horrible when small but now (last year) taste pretty good once it's gotten above my height and many years of growth.... Probably next year will be better for it.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
My Lemon Meringue and Manilita are running very small.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile

You think fruit count has anything to do with it?
- Rob

3rdgrey

• USA,Fl,9b
    • View Profile
Im up the road from you. Question, are u watering at all? If so how much/often? Really dry for sure!
Thanks

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile

You think fruit count has anything to do with it?
No I don't think so in my case. I have two trees unirrigated and one irrigated and the irrigated one has larger fruit still hanging while the unirrigated have smaller fruit which are dropping ripe. SWFL has been extremely dry I misjudged and should have given the grove some water this year. The past 3 years weren't any problem so I learned something.

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
Almost no rain here this past Winter and Spring. We finally got some good rains this week.
While the drought has caused a few fruit to ripen prematurely, the main crops on most trees in my yard seem a few weeks behind normal.
Edgar is producing much smaller fruit this year but held a good crop despite heavy pruning last year. In previous years we were eating it about 3-4 weeks earlier. Best picking time for this mango seems to be at the first signs of yellowing at the stem end.(and finishing the ripening off the tree for several days)
 Fruit held longer on the tree was not quite as good, the fruit can develop off flavors if overripe. This is definitely a variety to pick at or near mature green instead of tree ripe. 
Maha Chanok is a month earlier than last year. We ate one today that had a fruit cocktail taste. Last year it had a very good classical mango flavor.  Flavor on this mango can vary from year to year but it consistently very good. It seems to increase in complexity every year so far. Or maybe the drought is just getting worse every year, heat and drought can advance ripening and increase brix.
Pickering is actually a few weeks behind, just starting to eat a few.
Last year Maha came in as Pickering finished, this year they are neck and neck unfortunately. They will all get eaten but I might have to raid my Dad's Valencia pride in a month to avoid picking my Little Gems early.
Cotton Candy looks like it is a few weeks behind last years ripening, which is a good thing. Will start picking them in about a week or so I guess. They were done by early July last year.
Strange that some varieties are later and others earlier than usual. I expected all varieties to ripen sooner from the drought, but some actually will ripen later.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk