Author Topic: Sweetest pink/red guava, Mexican Cream guava, and guavas in general  (Read 16690 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Sweetest pink/red guava, Mexican Cream guava, and guavas in general
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2022, 11:30:55 PM »
Yes Brad, Delores graft took so I have one good branch that is growing, thanks.

snowjunky

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2022, 12:04:23 AM »
I found the best tasting guavas to be from Taiwan. Emperor and Crystal guava are elite selections and some of the best, if you can find a good air layer. Also Diamond guava from Exotica is very good.

Those Taiwanese are the best fruit breeders.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 02:25:07 AM by snowjunky »

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2022, 05:08:33 AM »
Here in Florida guavas are not as popular as say mangoes because they're very susceptible to nematodes, and most soils are sandy and infested.

Most guavas here are air layers, not grafts. The smaller less sweet varieties are said to be more nematode-resistant, I'm trying the one that's supposed to be very resistant (cattleyanum) but it hasn't fruited yet. If it's not tasty I will just keep it as rootstock. Had a strawberry guava that was small, completely unimpressive taste but it died years ago, but it can also be due to shady spot it was growing in.

I grow several varieties and have posted tasting videos on them on my youtube channel. links below. Have been fruiting Barbie Pink and Tikal for several years, Tikal is less sweet of the two but generally they're very similar. Barbie Pink is huge and fruits pretty much all year round for me, no fruit flies in winter months so no need to bag, but in summer starting April-May they're ravaged and cannot be left without bagging. but the fruit is also a bit smaller and sweetness is less intense in winter, but sometimes there are exceptions.

My Barbie Pink is a happy tree, growing in very calcareous soil that we were dumping to that area from pond digging, never thought it would be good for anything but the parent tree that was growing in "better" soil died, and this air layer has trippled in size its first year, and is going nuts. My wife is in love with Barbie Pink taste and doesn't want any other guavas, lol, to her it's the sweetest and best-tasting one because she says it tastes like strawberry cream from her childhood, extremely aromatic.  For that size fruit, the seed component is not that bad and the seed containing core is actually the creamiest and sweetest part. I wouldn't scoop it out like Kaz did in his photo  :D
I like guavas with a little bit of acidity and crunchiness and white varieties are more appealing to me, I procured a couple of very good varieties but air layers have been dying on me for some reason. So last 2 years I haven't been able to propagate.
Here are the tasting videos on different guava varieties from my garden, with the most impressive tasting fruit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNjPCJFePyo&t=408s&ab_channel=OshoBodhisattvaMeditationGarden
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9bkJ-FqTlY&ab_channel=OshoBodhisattvaMeditationGarden
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlc8S4x6JEU&ab_channel=OshoBodhisattvaMeditationGarden
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 05:18:36 AM by Satya »

snowjunky

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2022, 11:10:46 PM »
Yes Brad, Delores graft took so I have one good branch that is growing, thanks.

That's great Kaz.   Guavas are hard to graft. 
I only succeed when the rootstock is push out new growth vigorously. 
The scions have to be healthy and is best when there are new buds forming.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2022, 03:56:17 AM »
Brad, the guava is a fast grower. I will post a photo of the grafted branch tomorrow, looking good.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 30, 2022, 08:28:44 PM »
Here's a few photos of the grafted branch.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 03:21:23 AM by sc4001992 »

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2022, 11:10:05 PM »
The best guava I’ve ever eaten came off orkine’s tree:

If I recall right he said it’s a seedling from Mexican cream, which confuses me how the pinkish flesh, but this was a legit guava. My tasting notes were sweet flavor with some watermelon notes, hardly noticeable bitter/skin tannin.

-joe

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2022, 11:55:21 PM »
Here's a few photos of the grafted branch.

Hello Kaz, the delores I had is not seedless.  Did frank say it was a seedless variety?
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2022, 02:48:01 AM »
Brad, oops, I have a typo, it should be spelled Dolores red seedless.
From my notes here on the forum, JF says it is a seedless red guava. See below:

« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 03:06:00 AM by sc4001992 »

Kankan

• Fallbrook, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2022, 10:49:50 PM »

I know the quoted post is old but I have a 1 year guava plant I grew from seed of the orange variety from seeds hunter shop. Its 2'-3' tall and should fruit next year. Ill be sure to post pics of the fruit. I can say the leavers are definitely red so Im hopeful.

Diana, I have a seedling orange flesh guava (they say) but it is very small and in 1 year it has not grown at all. If it grows up and has orange fruits then I will post it.

Great! Looking forward to see how your seedling turn out, Kaz.
Let me know if you want cuttings from my Red Malaysian or 'Giant Peruvian'. These trees are still young, so maybe another year before I can airlayer them.

Yes Kaz, please keep us posted, the only orange guava I’ve seen was from seeds listed here https://www.seedshuntershop.com/store/products/guava-var-orange-pulp-psidium-guajava-var-orange-pulp looks totally awesome.

-Joe

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2022, 11:22:33 PM »
After I up potted my orange (Gushiken) guava plant, now it started to take off. It is about 4 ft tall with more small branches. Maybe in another year I will also have a fruit to taste.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 07, 2022, 01:52:56 PM »
Those really red ones, and dolores seedless look awesome. Would love to graft those up! Lately I have been super impressed with long leaf guava psidium striatulum. It is the most intense guava flavor I've had and has low seed count. It's a smaller fruit than tropical guava but enough for me. Really easy grower and heavy producer.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2022, 02:14:15 PM »
Hey Kaz, the dolores fruits I got don't look like that.  The trees Dolores and jalisco red I got were from frank and were grafted.  They both are fruit that looks more like the pics of jalisco and both have seeds. 

I'll go pick some and post a picture later today or tomorrow.

Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2022, 04:02:00 PM »
Brad, ok, maybe he may have grated both with Jalisco Red which would be good. Frank said in his post the fruit has seeds, but it has the highest brix, ranges from 22-37.

Take photo of your fruit, outside of the fruit, then once you cut it in half. I hope yours is the Jalisco Red (Rojos).

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2022, 04:16:29 PM »
37 Brix for a guava?!  Is that a typo? Screenshot from JF's post says 22-24 brix range.

Brad, would you say the Jalisco is the sweetest guava you've tasted?

K-Rimes, glad to hear the Psidium striatulum is tasty.  I got a couple seedlings from Wildlands Farm & Nursery several months ago.  How long did it take for your plant to start fruiting?

Janet
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 04:37:14 PM by JCorte »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2022, 04:31:05 PM »
It's sweet but never near 30.  They don't make much juice so it's hard to get a good reading.  My taste buds are saying 20 brix max.  The fruit isn't dry, it just doesn't drip when you squeeze it.

The meter said 15 but it was hard to get any liquid out of it.

I'm having trouble uploading pics today.  I'll try again later. 

Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2022, 04:34:08 PM »
Lots of hard seeds in the Dolores tree I got.  Who knows what it is?  My neigh or has a whole field of pink guava.  These taste and look the same to me.  It's a decent guava but nothing too special.   Definitely didn't live up to the hype.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 04:39:31 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2022, 04:43:09 PM »
Brad,

Thanks for the assessment.  I'm growing a dozen, which are all supposed to be different, but I'm finding that most taste very similar.  I'm going to remove most of them after I give them another year to see if flavor improves on some varieties.

Janet

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 07, 2022, 04:49:01 PM »
This trees produces more than my whole family could ever eat.  I think 1 guava tree is more than enough.  I guess I could start freezing it and make smoothis out of it later.

We have mangos and cherimoyas coming in at the same time.  Those don't ever get wasted.  Most of the guava end up on the ground and my chickens or that rodents eat them. 

Brad Spaugh

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 07, 2022, 05:40:55 PM »
Yeah, if we were growing guavas just to eat fresh, one tree would probably be enough. 

We're going to use to them for processing.  We have a manufacturer's license, so want to experiment with beer, kombucha, kefir, ciders, jams, etc.  We have good brewers and kitchen staff to help develop recipes. 

That'll be the fun part when we have a variety of fruits to start experimenting.

Wish I had mangoes and cherimoyas to harvest, working on it! ;D

Janet

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 07, 2022, 05:49:36 PM »

K-Rimes, glad to hear the Psidium striatulum is tasty.  I got a couple seedlings from Wildlands Farm & Nursery several months ago.  How long did it take for your plant to start fruiting?

Janet

I also got them from Nate at Wildlands. That was, if I recall correctly, maybe 2 years ago? It was in a 15g till last week and I just plopped it into a 20g even laden with fruit. I would guess plant is about 3 years old now. They are fast fruiters I'd say. It flowered last year but didn't set. It gets so weighed down with fruits that it went from being upright to flopped over even with thinning, but it was always pretty floppy from the start. I have it staked up.

It's really strong, almost stinky guava flavor. Can't really express how much better I like it than a standard tropical like cream or pink, but I have not tried any of these higher end types. I do have an orange'y white flesh tropical and it's good, but not great.

Very low effort plant. I put one in at the office too, 1g directly in the ground.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 07, 2022, 06:57:35 PM »
I didn't tell my daughter we were recording.  She gives her honest opinion on this guava.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Ds3NFxSbrzs?feature=share

Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 07, 2022, 08:03:07 PM »
Janet, the brix from Frank had two different mentions, one in 2018 said brix of 22-24, but the later one in 2019 said 37.

Brad, your fruits looks like Jalisco to me, I hope so. Nice photos and video. Is your daughter eating the seeds of the guavas?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2022, 08:15:55 PM »
Yes she eats the whole thing (with seeds), she just ate 2 of the guavas.

Our fruit seems more light in color than franks pictures.  The jalisco and dolores both look that way and taste the same to me.  But they are both pink, not red.
Brad Spaugh

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2022, 08:16:37 PM »
K-Rimes, sounds perfect, look forward to tasting it.  Do you like acidic, sour fruits?  Have you tasted the Cas guava? That's another one I want to try.

Brad, awesome taste test video, I was asking myself the same question as Kaz, seeds don't bother her?

Kaz, keep us posted on how the Jalisco Rojo tastes from your tree when it fruits for you.

Janet