Author Topic: South/Central Florida Cold Fronts  (Read 8090 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: South/Central Florida Cold Fronts
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2022, 08:53:54 AM »
Gotta love a Florida weather forecast that calls for a "Falling Lizard Warning"  ;D 🦎🦎🦎
But you gotta destroy them when they're immobile.  Otherwise they come right back to life when the temp warms a little.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 08:55:36 AM by johnb51 »
John

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2022, 10:02:22 AM »
I got 27f for a few hours east Orlando.
Weather app was showing 30f but my thermometer disagreed. Jackfruit, unknown variety, that was undamaged after 32f, looks sad now but hopefully alive.
Ana
Ana

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2022, 10:40:44 AM »

Official low for me this morning was 28.2° and was 32° and below for about 5 hours, I'm sure I will lose the blooms on my tree, the Glenn was full of blooms and my Cogshall had just a few...others haven't started. My lychee had blooms too so I'm assuming those are going to die also  :(...still a freeze warning for me for tomorrow but not predicted to be as cold as today...fingers crossed!!

CowboyFig

• USA/Central Florida/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2022, 11:52:36 AM »
Hope everyone’s garden isn’t too affected or can at least recover. Seems like most places didn’t receive as severe of cold as expected. Obviously not the case everywhere. In y’all’s experience if cold kills lychee bloom can they bloom again like you see in mangoes? Seems like that may not the case for other fruits like stone fruit. I used to hear about late freezes ruining peach crops, etc. Thanks for the info and happy gardening y’all.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2022, 12:38:53 PM »
dwfl and orkine - Thankyou!

Should I cut of the dead blooms or just leave them?
[/b]

Not an expert but I would remove the dead blooms or at least the ones you can reach, I can't imagine that would hurt especially if it is truly dead. You might even see a second bloom since we still have a few more weeks of colder weather (possible?)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2022, 03:24:25 PM »

Official low for me this morning was 28.2° and was 32° and below for about 5 hours, I'm sure I will lose the blooms on my tree, the Glenn was full of blooms and my Cogshall had just a few...others haven't started.
Wow, and I think you said in another post they're too big to protect. Reading that they can survive those temps for that long is encouraging--I went a little overboard, but the National Weather Service said my area was going down to 27° with 21° Wind Chill. We got down to 31° and had frost starting when it was 37° at 4am.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2022, 03:29:53 PM »
Unfortunately, even covered, the Jackfruit seedlings look rough. I either have to give up trying to grow Jackfruit or find a better way to protect them during cold spells

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2022, 06:47:04 PM »
I have a mai1 jack that totally got all leaves gone after 32f. I have seedlings of unknown jack that planted outside and totally looks fine after 32f. This time i put a plastic container over them and  after 27f they show very little damage. Seems like jacks cold tolerance could be very different.

Ana
Ana

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2022, 09:26:43 PM »
Hope everyone’s garden isn’t too affected or can at least recover. Seems like most places didn’t receive as severe of cold as expected. Obviously not the case everywhere. In y’all’s experience if cold kills lychee bloom can they bloom again like you see in mangoes? Seems like that may not the case for other fruits like stone fruit. I used to hear about late freezes ruining peach crops, etc. Thanks for the info and happy gardening y’all.

Yes, Lychee can bloom again if it looses the first bloom to a freeze.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2022, 08:29:21 AM »
Today was even colder than yesterday for me.
At 7 a.m. 31 degrees and frost on the ground and ice on windshield.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2022, 10:02:18 AM »
Today was even colder than yesterday for me.
At 7 a.m. 31 degrees and frost on the ground and ice on windshield.
Wow!  If my lychee blooms this year, it will all have been worth it.  Last summer was a bumper crop.
John

cotter pin

• Charlotte County, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2022, 06:49:11 PM »
 On Saturday, here in Charlotte County, we were below freezing, possibly on Sunday night as well. Trees look like they were torched, we covered them and we will see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2022, 10:57:12 PM »
Less wind last night but there was frost on roofs, cars, and grass this morning in my neighborhood. I wasn't expecting that since it was supposed to be a few degrees warmer. It didn't feel any colder.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2022, 10:08:04 AM »
It's going to warm up now.  Hope we see plenty of bloom.  Special prayer to the lychee gods!
John

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2022, 03:22:29 PM »
Saw this on the news the other day.

Guess I got lower than 31°. I might need to get a thermometer.

One section of my yard got hit really hard. I will soon be on the search for cold-hardy fruit trees that can stand occasional flooding (thinking longan and white sapote?).

Didn't have enough time/frost cloth to cover Canistel, Barbados Cherries, and Suriname Cherries, and they took it like a champ. The small Peanut Butter Fruits got fried, but the big ones were unphased.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2022, 09:36:38 PM »
Saw this on the news the other day.

Guess I got lower than 31°. I might need to get a thermometer.

One section of my yard got hit really hard. I will soon be on the search for cold-hardy fruit trees that can stand occasional flooding (thinking longan and white sapote?).

Didn't have enough time/frost cloth to cover Canistel, Barbados Cherries, and Suriname Cherries, and they took it like a champ. The small Peanut Butter Fruits got fried, but the big ones were unphased.

I would recommend muscadine grape. Longan and White Sapote have not been good for flooding in my experience. Longan trees survive, but the fruit never sizes properly and WS struggles with wet feet.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2022, 09:51:30 PM »
Thanks for the info and recommendation, Galatians522!

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2022, 11:44:04 PM »
As above, two of my white sapote died due to wet feet. Wasn't even flooding, just soggy ground that didn't get a chance to dry out for a week.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2022, 09:54:56 PM »
Thanks for the info and recommendation, Galatians522!

Some others to consider for cold tollerence and wet feet are Sabara Jaboticaba and sugarcane. Sugarcane handles wet feet like a champ and will easily grow into Georgia if it is cut back to the ground and buried just before the first frost. If you get a cane juicer, you can grow all the juice you ever wanted in a 100' row.

yuzr

• Monrovia
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2022, 08:45:55 AM »
Freeze before mature mango tree had made flower shoots. All new leaves had matured. All leaves are completely brown, will die.  Central FL, Feb 8.

A thought : Would frozen leaf removal in late Feb result in new leaves sooner?
If so, then remove all, or just at ends?       

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2022, 07:20:33 PM »
Freeze before mature mango tree had made flower shoots. All new leaves had matured. All leaves are completely brown, will die.  Central FL, Feb 8.

I would wait patiently for now. The frozen leaves will protect what is below them if we have more cold weather.

yuzr

• Monrovia
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2022, 01:51:47 PM »

I would wait patiently for now. The frozen leaves will protect what is below them if we have more cold weather.

Thanks.

I was specific ("late Feb").  Please define "for now", including the word "until" and some calendar-related phrase.

The core question remains.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2022, 02:12:11 PM »

Thanks.

I was specific ("late Feb").  Please define "for now", including the word "until" and some calendar-related phrase.

It was answered. Unfortunately, nature doesn't operate on as specific a timeline as you apparently expect.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2022, 10:59:02 PM »

Thanks.

Waiting for new growth from below the damaged area is probably the best option. But if you want a date, wait at least until March 15th. That has traditionally been the "safe date" for freezes here in central Florida. There can be frost after that, but it is rare.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2022, 06:38:39 AM »
I've changed my go date to April Fool's Day.Last March the last two weeks the nighttime temperatures were below 50 degrees and daytime winds were 20-plus.
My soursop that I kept so Lush and green all through the winter by being inside under a grow light completely defoliated and took half the summer to rebound. To me March is to unpredictable. The risk vs reward the reward is not enough. I feel it's better just to wait till April
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 06:40:58 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk