Author Topic: Grafting timing  (Read 1000 times)

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
Grafting timing
« on: February 26, 2022, 07:36:50 PM »
This is going to be my first year attempting to graft stone fruit, persimmons, and pecans. When is the optimal time of year to graft these type of trees? Can a freeze/frost kill a fresh scion if grafted too early in the season? Im in Zone 7a

Also have scions waiting in the fridge for the past few weeks. Is there a certain shelf life on these things?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting timing
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 01:25:57 AM »
You should keep the scions in the fridge until your rootstocks break dormancy.  Usually February or maybe March where you are.  We do it in January/february in southern CA but its zone 9-10.

The scions should stay good for several weeks in the fridge. 
Brad Spaugh

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 11:26:26 PM »
You should keep the scions in the fridge until your rootstocks break dormancy.  Usually February or maybe March where you are.  We do it in January/february in southern CA but its zone 9-10.

The scions should stay good for several weeks in the fridge.

Thanks for the insight Brad. I should of probably mentioned I'm going to be grafting onto fully mature trees just to add more varieties. Same rules apply?

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 09:58:42 AM »
This is going to be my first year attempting to graft stone fruit, persimmons, and pecans. When is the optimal time of year to graft these type of trees? Can a freeze/frost kill a fresh scion if grafted too early in the season? Im in Zone 7a

Also have scions waiting in the fridge for the past few weeks. Is there a certain shelf life on these things?
I usually harvest scions at this time and store them in the fridge in a plastic bag, with the cut end wrapped with a moist tollew.
From the tree species u are working with ,i have grafted only peach and a close relative ,almond. I waited till i saw the leaves just emerging and grafted at that time. I did 4 clefts and 3 bark grafts on the peach, all were succesfull. The almong got  around 8 clefts, all were also succesful. Infact the procedure with the almond is similar to what u want to do, i worked two main branches , they were slow to take but then by the end of summer had around a meter of growth. Also i am starting to wrap every graft which i do with a white band, to keep them cooler in the hotter days of spring. .
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 10:05:37 AM by Plantinyum »