Author Topic: Avocado leaf salt burn or fungus?  (Read 747 times)

cindyatdallas

• DALLAS
    • View Profile
Avocado leaf salt burn or fungus?
« on: March 20, 2022, 05:37:34 PM »
Hi all, I got this container-grown avocado tree for 2 years now. It has been growing pretty well. It had some salt burn leaves for a long time, it seemed like nothing to worry. But recently I noticed that more leaves are turning brown at their tips. This affects almost all leaves, except for the newest ones. I started to worry that it might have fungus problem (see those tiny black spot at the edges, in the first picture) and that was why this progressed so fast recently? Please help, any suggestions/discussions are greatly appreciated!  :)

nana7b

• North Texas, 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado leaf salt burn or fungus?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 09:55:09 PM »
I don't grow Avocados ......but Potassium deficiency perhaps?

Search 'potassium deficiency in plants'

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 10:29:24 PM »
I have a hass seedling that's been doing this and I was advised to use a filter for the water. I bought one that you screw to the beginning of the water outlet. It took sometimes I'd say over 6 months to come back to normal leaves. So I'm guessing it has to do with salt and unfiltered city water full of chlorine and such.
Thera

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2022, 10:47:32 PM »
It looks like salt burn and the black stuff is seperate and looks like mold.  And the leaves are slightly chlorotic from high PH or over watering.  But thats pretty normal for a potted avocado tree.  It isnt really anything to worry about.  It will shed those leaves this spring and flush new leaves.  The tree looks fine really.  It will look better when it starts doing the spring flush. 
Brad Spaugh

cindyatdallas

• DALLAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2022, 11:24:19 PM »
It looks like salt burn and the black stuff is seperate and looks like mold.  And the leaves are slightly chlorotic from high PH or over watering.  But thats pretty normal for a potted avocado tree.  It isnt really anything to worry about.  It will shed those leaves this spring and flush new leaves.  The tree looks fine really.  It will look better when it starts doing the spring flush.
Thank you so much for your reply. Should I do anything about the moldy spot? I am a little concerned that fungus can spread quite fast.

cindyatdallas

• DALLAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2022, 11:26:11 PM »
I have a hass seedling that's been doing this and I was advised to use a filter for the water. I bought one that you screw to the beginning of the water outlet. It took sometimes I'd say over 6 months to come back to normal leaves. So I'm guessing it has to do with salt and unfiltered city water full of chlorine and such.
Thank you for sharing your experience! I filter my water each time, but the fitter was probably getting old. Just replaced it today!

cindyatdallas

• DALLAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2022, 11:28:59 PM »
I don't grow Avocados ......but Potassium deficiency perhaps?

Search 'potassium deficiency in plants'

Thank you for your reply! It does look kinda similar. I will keep that in mind, too! I recently re-potted this tree with lots of fertile soil, I figure it should not be too deficient of anything.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2022, 11:48:51 PM »
Thank you so much for your reply. Should I do anything about the moldy spot? I am a little concerned that fungus can spread quite fast.

Is the tree in a humid spot like outdoors/greenhouse or is it in your house?  Has it been pretty wet there?

I dont think its much to worry about really.  The tree isnt a perfect specimen but its not about to die either.  I think it looks pretty happy overall.
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2022, 09:12:21 AM »
What about avocado leaves just turning brown and falling off this time of year before the new spring leaves? I see that on all avocado trees.
John