Author Topic: May Mango Bloom in Florida???  (Read 655 times)

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
May Mango Bloom in Florida???
« on: May 06, 2022, 09:59:45 PM »
So, I was out in the yard today and noticed that an okrung mango seedling has some bloom just starting. I pruned it back hard around the beginning of April because of cold damage (I didn't have time to freeze protect the tree because of everything else I had going on). I have always thought that somewhere around the middle of April was the latest opportunity for mango bloom here, but I guess I was wrong.  8)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Re: May Mango Bloom in Florida???
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 05:32:08 PM »
I have 3 trees that threw out sporadic blooms in May, one or two just starting in the last day or so.
It is not a large bloom with only a few tips on the trees blooming.  It was jut a surprise to see blooms starting this late.
It is a poor year for fruit set, I assume the trees are just confused.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 10:09:57 PM »
Same with mine. Just a couple panicles. What varieties bloomed for you?

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 12:25:28 PM »
Choc anon, Beverly, and one of mine, so far unnamed.
There may be one or two others (possibly Fairchild,) but I will have to walk the yard to check.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 05:16:29 PM »
Wow, Galatians522, you have an Okrung seedling that's flowering? Gary Zill mentioned in a Truly Tropical video that he never got one to fruit. Has yours fruited before? If so, how was the fruit? How old is the tree? Thanks!

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 05:35:59 PM »
Wow, Galatians522, you have an Okrung seedling that's flowering? Gary Zill mentioned in a Truly Tropical video that he never got one to fruit. Has yours fruited before? If so, how was the fruit? How old is the tree? Thanks!

That seems strange. I had no trouble fruiting mine. It had 3 fruits last year and was loaded with bloom this year until the freeze. Flavor was excellent in my opinion (like a more intense Nam Doc Mai with a better sugar acid balance). As far as I can tell it was identical to the fruit I planted the seed from (purchased at Excalibur). It was about 6 years old when it first fruits.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk