Author Topic: Persimmons report. How's your fruit set this season  (Read 3091 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Persimmons report. How's your fruit set this season
« on: May 10, 2022, 04:32:52 PM »
Someone asked me how my Persimmons are doing. So far so good with my Fuyu. Last season was the first time it set fruit but it did not hold on to them I'm hoping for a better result this season. After getting it established I've pretty much neglected it. I have never fertilized it. I don't think they require much fertilizer but I'm not quite sure. I am curious if others have had good fruit set this season

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Re: Persimmons report. How's your fruit set this season
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 04:45:29 PM »
How tall is your tree, bovine421? Where did you get it from? How's its growth habit?

I just got a Fuyu. Not sure it will fruit here, but I like the fruit enough to give it a try. Am also looking for a Suruga and Triumph tree. Definitely keep us posted!

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 04:51:56 PM »
My fuyu is well set this year after dropping the 1 last year-

I thinned the fruits to 1 every six inches as recommended by university of florida iirc-

Hopefully have some good bearing this year

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 05:16:29 PM »
First year my soflo is holding fruit.
It set a ton. Planted it around 4-5 years ago

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 05:22:23 PM »
Suruga has awakened, but not seeing any flowers yet. Flowered last year, couldn't tell if it set or not, flower cores eventually dried up.

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 06:05:37 PM »
Jiro persimmon dropped fruit last two years. Almost all new leaves that are pushing now have a flower bud next to it. Zone 7a. Hoping that it will hold fruit this year, it has never had this many flowers at once

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 05:13:30 PM »
How tall is your tree, bovine421? Where did you get it from? How's its growth habit?

I just got a Fuyu. Not sure it will fruit here, but I like the fruit enough to give it a try. Am also looking for a Suruga and Triumph tree. Definitely keep us posted!
It's about 6 ft tall bought it as a 7 gallon has been in the ground 3 or four seasons. Fliptop they do not grow as vigorously as a mango so you're going to have to be patient it a long-term project. Mine is a Fuyu but I also have another one that  fruits in December

« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 05:18:19 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2022, 06:42:26 PM »
I guess that this crop is the one people up north have an advantage on.
Mine grow fast and fruit fast. I recently picked up several other varieties like saijo, more fuyu, taenanashi, some korean kind, and others.
They are just popping flowers now.

RS

• Central FL, 9b/10a microclimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2022, 08:07:08 PM »
Ichi Ki Kei Jiro Persimmon is loaded this year and holding so far. Thinking of adding other varieties since it's done so well with basically no care.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2022, 09:10:12 PM »
My fire crystal, coffee cake, and hachiya/hana gosho (lost the tags for both trees and ones dead) all have flower buds right now. Still waiting on all the other varieties.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2022, 10:00:40 AM »
I have 3 potted ones which are just starting to leaf out/ buds are at the brink of unfolding leaves. As far as i could tell it should be a heavy bloom for 2 of them, the ones that flowered and fruited for the first time last year.
I think so becouse last year they experienced a hard freeze which damaged most of theyr buds, flowering was weakish yet still the fuyu set 3 fruits and the other unknown had like 7.
This year there is no damaje so i am expecting some wild flowering and hopefully much more fruit.  I will do an update, once they leaf out, hopefully i  remember lol 😆
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 10:03:09 AM by Plantinyum »

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2022, 10:37:39 AM »

Planted a couple of Persimmon trees, one I planted 3 weeks ago but not sure if it is a 'Chocolate' or 'Fuyu' because the nursery I bought it from only had 2 different varieties for sale and the one that looked the healthiest didn't have a label (of course) so I have a 50/50 chance of one or the other? Does anyone know if you can tell by the leaves which variety it might be? The label on the tree now I asked him for just to have it...it came off another tree  ;) The other one I planted just 4 days ago is definitely a Fuyu bought that at a pretty reliable nursery where all of their trees were labeled.

This is the one in question Chocolate or Fuyu? Can you tell or do I have to wait for fruits?

Wrapped the tree in a small fencing due to deer around my yard eating plants  :'(

This is the Fuyu with the label and about a foot taller that the one above...

I've also added mulch around the tree since that picture was taken...the nursery I bought it from said to add some "light" fertilizer 2-3 times/year during Feb-Sept.

Nice to hear they can fruit in Zone 9b, Great pics everyone and thanks for sharing your experience.

Do you guys do some light pruning during dormancy period Dec or January? Do all the leaves drop even here in Florida and go completely dormant. It is my very first time trying to grow Persimmons. Thanks all!!

Bovine, best of luck with your first possible harvest!

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2022, 03:04:03 PM »
I have persimmon patch I started a few years ago. It has (2 Nikita's Gift, 2 Rossyanka hybrids) Edible Landscaping,  4 Texas persimmon,  (1 very young prairie star, 1 very young prairie gem)One Greenworld, (1 Ruby, 1 Yates, 1 Prok)Edible Landscaping, (1 Suruga and 1 Maekawa-Jiro) Just Fruits and Exotics . So far only the Texas and the Hybrids have flowered, Nothing has set fruit. Both of the Rossyankas seem to have less vigor and have some weird blackening on the leaf tips this year.

RS

• Central FL, 9b/10a microclimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2022, 04:49:48 PM »
@puglvr1, sorry I can't help ID. Mine drops leaves in winter. Haven't pruned, but the variety I have is supposed to be dwarf (8' max, currently just under 6') and hasn't needed any pruning. Good luck with your trees!

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2022, 09:17:09 AM »
@puglvr1, sorry I can't help ID. Mine drops leaves in winter. Haven't pruned, but the variety I have is supposed to be dwarf (8' max, currently just under 6') and hasn't needed any pruning. Good luck with your trees!

Thanks RS! Good luck with your trees also!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 09:19:40 AM by puglvr1 »

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2022, 10:58:53 AM »
Well my mystery variety was solved, upon very careful inspection of my tree I noticed a tiny fruit on the one that didn't have a label, and once I saw the shape of the fruit I knew immediately it could not be a Fuyu and had to be the 'chocolate' variety due to the acorn shape. The tiny fruit has since fallen off on its own but was so glad I found out the variety sooner rather than later...

Here's the picture of the fruit before it fell off  :-\  Definitely not a Fuyu

Also my Fuyu had one tiny fruit on it and this one definitely looks like the Fuyu variety due to the shape of the fruit...

RS, its great to see your tree bloomed and set fruits considering you are in Zone 9b/10a. Hopefully that means I should get enough chilling hours to for mine to set fruit hoping next season  :)

Please update when yours starts to ripen...

« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 11:05:46 AM by puglvr1 »

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2022, 11:39:00 AM »
So what is the best Persimmon to plant? I remember Saijo was the considered the best but am curious what else is out there. I like both astringent and non astringent!

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2022, 12:09:23 PM »
Saijo will probably be just fine, but I would hesitate to plant more than a few trees for personal consumption unless preserving them. Some people love them so much though that multiple trees makes sense, but for most, they are so sweet, after a few fruits, the rest end up getting preserved.

That said, for flavor, the pollination variant types like chocolate, coffecake, maru and ilk have excellent flavor profiles when pollinated, which is a good reason to have chocolate, as it produces large bunches of smaller, male flowers, which pollinate the female flowers causing seeds, brown flesh, and improved flavor.

I had a branch of hyakume, which had superior texture, especially when seared with a torch, but it broke off when I failed to thin it one year.

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2022, 04:04:14 PM »
Any extra the deer and foxes will eat, nothing will be wasted. Might also invest in a freeze dryer. Chocolate or coffecake sound good. Any good sources online for persimmons?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2022, 04:09:48 PM »
It's difficult to graft persimmons, but certainly cheaper than buying an entire tree, I believe fruitwood nursery sells scions of multiple varieties of persimmon. That said I enjoy california maru a bit more than the coffeecake most times I've been able to do a side by side sampling which isn't often due to poor seasonal overlap between the two. It might also be worth trying other Pollination variant varieties which are not in widespread distribution if you can get your hands on them like zenji maru, or kurokume.

My favorite thus far was from a taste testing at the Irvine orchard, and it's still not available for distribution to the public, but fingers crossed for next year.

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2022, 06:23:56 PM »
I always buy persimmon scions from fruitwood nursery. This year i added maru zengi and giant fuyu. They graft much more successful than figs or mulberries for me.
Ana
Ana

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2022, 08:48:10 PM »
I’m not opposed to trying grafting but I’d rather buy trees already ready. 

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2022, 11:04:24 PM »
Where in Florida are you? I saw persimmon trees in Orlando area nurseries. Online, all sold out.
Ana

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2022, 01:41:10 AM »
Here are my plants, the bloom will be heavy on the unknown  astringent type, judjing by the last season/ first fruiting , it will shed like 90 percent of the fruit set if not more.

The other one is fuyu, it doesnt have as much flower buds but it also had like 4 flowers last year of which all set fruit, so hopefully it does the same thing this year.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2022, 01:55:04 AM »
If you're in the panhandle, JFE has them, or they did a few months ago, probably best to call ahead.