Author Topic: Rasberries that can grow in zone 9?  (Read 625 times)

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Rasberries that can grow in zone 9?
« on: June 24, 2022, 07:52:19 PM »
I'm looking for some options. I'm planning to try Candy, Anne yellow, and Bababerry. I'm also looking at salmon berry, olallieberry, thimbleberry, mysore, and boysenberry. I came across the below thread, but am not sure if I can get any of those wonderful sounding typical Australian varieties here.

What do you guys think are my best options for Houston?

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=8866.0
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 07:59:44 PM by Rispa »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Rasberries that can grow in zone 9?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 10:11:06 PM »
We have grown a number of different raspberries here in Florida 9b--some with more success than others. The easiest way is to buy primocane varieties in the fall from up north and grow them over the winter and spring as an annual. Joan J works well for this and is mostly thornless. If you want to try keeping the bushes as perennials, Mysore and Dorman Red might be two options for you. Dorman Red is a hybrid with one of the Australian Raspberries. The plant seemed to grow ok here, but the berries are more tart than a typical store raspberry. So it got ripped out after a couple seasons. I think it would be best in jam. Mysore was the easiest to grow, but it has huge thorns and the berries lack the traditional flavor for black or red raspberries. I liked them, though.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Re: Rasberries that can grow in zone 9?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 10:34:28 PM »
We have grown a number of different raspberries here in Florida 9b--some with more success than others. The easiest way is to buy primocane varieties in the fall from up north and grow them over the winter and spring as an annual. Joan J works well for this and is mostly thornless. If you want to try keeping the bushes as perennials, Mysore and Dorman Red might be two options for you. Dorman Red is a hybrid with one of the Australian Raspberries. The plant seemed to grow ok here, but the berries are more tart than a typical store raspberry. So it got ripped out after a couple seasons. I think it would be best in jam. Mysore was the easiest to grow, but it has huge thorns and the berries lack the traditional flavor for black or red raspberries. I liked them, though.

Thanks for the tip on Dorman Red. My husband and little one are all my blackberries before they ripened, many before they even turned black, so I think this plant would be perfect. Thank you!