Author Topic: Where to go in the Tampa area  (Read 2024 times)

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Where to go in the Tampa area
« on: August 25, 2022, 07:22:26 PM »
I'm in Florida in the St. Pete and Tampa area for an amount unknown amount of time. Are there any good places to get exotic fruits or plants?

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Where to go in the Tampa area
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 11:32:14 PM »
Hit up Jenes tropicals in st Pete.
Good selection of tropical fruit trees
Been there at least 5 times lol

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 02:33:59 AM »
Hit up Jenes tropicals in st Pete.
Good selection of tropical fruit trees
Been there at least 5 times lol
Sweet, I'll see if I can tomorrow. It's less than 5 miles from me.

mattyboydesigns

• St. Petersburg, Florida 9b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 08:55:29 AM »
The Pinellas farmers market runs every Saturday and Sunday from 7am-2pm. 13600A Icot Blvd, Clearwater, FL 33760. They have lots of fruit and a couple plant vendors.

Like jabo said jene's has a nice variety of fruit trees. Anything specific that you are looking for?

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 08:56:13 AM »
2nding Jene's in St. Pete for trees and such. Parking is at a premium, not a huge space, but they pack-in the fruit trees when they can.

mattyboydesigns

• St. Petersburg, Florida 9b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 09:34:31 AM »
2nding Jene's in St. Pete for trees and such. Parking is at a premium, not a huge space, but they pack-in the fruit trees when they can.

I've always found parallel parking along the brick road (Westwood terrace) to be easier than parking in the front.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 11:34:40 AM »

I've always found parallel parking along the brick road (Westwood terrace) to be easier than parking in the front.
Good tip. I'm always driving through in a rush, never knew there was parking except in front.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2022, 12:38:19 AM »
The Pinellas farmers market runs every Saturday and Sunday from 7am-2pm. 13600A Icot Blvd, Clearwater, FL 33760. They have lots of fruit and a couple plant vendors.

Like jabo said jene's has a nice variety of fruit trees. Anything specific that you are looking for?

Thanks. Nothing specifically. If I find something that sounds tasty I wavy to grow it

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2022, 11:56:41 PM »
2nd Jene's Tropicals. She usually has a pretty nice selection of mangos, citrus and avocados.

Also in Clearwater is a guy named David Halliburton who has a really great selection of grafted mangos, Super Haas avocados, jaboticaba, Barbados cherry, guava, atemoya, bananas and some other kind of hard to find tropicals. Runs ads in Craigslist farm & garden section. Address is 1668 S Prescott Ave. Clearwater 33756  Ph: 727-599-8985. I bought mangos and bananas from him and very satisfied.

irun5k

• Saint Petersburg, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 10:13:32 PM »
If you're still in the area, check out Tampa Tropical Asian Nursery in... Tampa.   Pretty impressive place, I just discovered it this year.
https://www.tampatropicalasiantree.com

I used to frequent Jene's, and like her and her staff, but the selection and quality seems to suffer sometimes. 

Odenwald

• West central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2022, 05:31:17 AM »
I’m out east in Manatee County, but I often have people drive out from Tampa/St.Pete for hard to find tropical fruit trees.  Odenwald Honey and Tropical Fruit 14825 Sugarbowl Rd, Myakka 34251.  Open weekends and holidays.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2022, 04:02:44 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm back in Houston now. I tried to go to Jene's, but due to weather they closed early that day. I'll try again on my next trip up there.

Amel

• TampaBay
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2024, 07:53:02 AM »
1. Tampa Tropical Asian Nursery - largest varieties of Mangos and other fruits
2. Jene's Nursery & Tropicals
3. Food Forest Tampa https://www.instagram.com/foodforesttampa/ (Odessa)
4. Odenwald Honey and Tropical Fruit (Sarasota area)
5. Julie’s Tropical Plants (Orlando area)

Julian R

• US, FL, Brandon, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2024, 09:49:17 AM »
I'll add a few more:

Trinity Exotics nursery in Plant City.  They have some cool stuff there, I picked up some Jabos and my Kwai Muk from them.
Tampa Nursery and Water Gardens has a wide variety of stuff and really good prices every time I've been.  It's kind of tucked away if you're looking for it on google maps: http://tampanurseryandwatergardens.com/
Kerby's Nursery & Landscaping in Seffner can get some good stuff in from time to time.  They can be quite pricey compared to other places though.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2024, 04:51:20 AM »
Just got back from a trip there and went to several places and packed the car pretty hard for the trip back. Looks like I missed some of your recommendations, so I'll have places to go when I visit again.

Cody Cove Nursery

Living roots eco design

Fruit Tropics Nursery

Citrus park nursery

Tropical Asian Nursery

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2024, 07:58:25 AM »
Just got back from a trip there and went to several places and packed the car pretty hard for the trip back. Looks like I missed some of your recommendations, so I'll have places to go when I visit again.

Cody Cove Nursery

Living roots eco design

Fruit Tropics Nursery

Citrus park nursery

Tropical Asian Nursery

On your next trip, I also like Amel's post suggestion of Food Forest Tampa.  Michael Gonzalez there is a wealth of knowledge, always has a great selection of tropicals. And, during mango seasons has many great varieties of mangoes that are from his and other Florida Mango Growers.  Incredible opportunity to be able to buy and try many varieties and speak with an extremely knowledgeable person at the same time.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2024, 12:47:55 PM »

Cody Cove Nursery

Living roots eco design

Fruit Tropics Nursery

Citrus park nursery

Tropical Asian Nursery

On your next trip, I also like Amel's post suggestion of Food Forest Tampa.  Michael Gonzalez there is a wealth of knowledge, always has a great selection of tropicals. And, during mango seasons has many great varieties of mangoes that are from his and other Florida Mango Growers.  Incredible opportunity to be able to buy and try many varieties and speak with an extremely knowledgeable person at the same time.
I saw so many mangoes flowering this trip. Will definitely need to plan a trip for when they are actually fruiting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk