Author Topic: Meyer lemon  (Read 669 times)

plantsky

• Lipa
    • View Profile
Meyer lemon
« on: September 01, 2022, 10:30:11 AM »
 Hi folks, I planted a Meyer lemon from seed 5 years ago here in the Philippines and still growing.It is now 9 ft tall with lots of branches and thorns.I don't know if it will bear the same  fruit because of the climate here.🤔

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Meyer lemon
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 12:31:22 PM »
If the tree has not produced fruit yet, being it is now 5 years old, the tree should produce next year or the year after that.

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 01:18:30 PM »
I believe Meyer lemon is zygotic, so the fruit will not be exactly like a Meyer.  If the fruit isn't good, you have a nice tree to graft other varieties onto.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2022, 04:54:01 PM »
Somebody already wrote on another thread that they grew meyer lemon seeds and they all come out different. Some were like Limes some were like tart oranges. It's not a real lemon, instead a hybrid with different stuff mixed into (though mostly lemon) so you can get many different results from the seeds. I think it will be fun to grow from seed.

Usually you get fruit around 5 or 8 years old from seed. So it should be getting fruit soon. I don't think the climate will make any difference. But if you grow from seed it is usually a bigger tree compared to rooting a branch. A rooted branch meyer lemon is very small. The regular variety I think maybe 8 or 9 feet maximum size (closer to 8) and there is a smaller dwarf variety that is about six feet maximum size. It always has big thorns though.

It shouldn't get much bigger- meyer lemon is one of the smallest citrus. Maybe 12 feet at the most from seed I would guess. Though it can grow very wide.