Author Topic: HELP! - Squirrels stealing fruit – Goodnature A18 trap availability??  (Read 904 times)

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
I'm having a serious problem with squirrels, and likely rats too, with them ravaging my avocados, mangoes, and other fruit even before they ripen, such that I have not gotten any of my crop for myself these last two seasons.

I have seen how effective the Goodnature A18 squirrel destroyer is, but only their model A24 (mouse & rat traps) are available in the US.  (I know this because I've checked online everywhere I can think of without success.)

Can any of our TFF members explain why this A18 squirrel destroyer is not allowed into the US. It seems like an effective, humane control for these ravaging rodents.

Or maybe someone has found a way of getting the A18 into the US –short of traveling to the UK or Australia and bringing one back in their personal luggage.

Fingers X-ed!

Paul M.
Tampa – Zone 9b
==

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! - Squirrels stealing fruit – Goodnature A18 trap availability??
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2022, 10:00:40 PM »
I would guess since its marketed for squirrels and a kill trap it will be hard to get in the usa possibly some laws broken? Squirrels are game animals in the usa so in every state you would need a license to harvest game. Now that its targeting game this would be sold to trappers in the usa and that doesnt look like it would pass the dec's eye lol just another thing against it . If it were marketed for rats i bet you could prime that thing and have it in 2days!
Bill

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2022, 10:11:13 PM »
Forgot to add....Get yourself a tube trap they work great for squirrels, One by one but productive. My favorite style trap for squirrels by far.
Bill

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2022, 02:49:16 AM »
I would guess since its marketed for squirrels and a kill trap it will be hard to get in the usa possibly some laws broken? Squirrels are game animals in the usa so in every state you would need a license to harvest game. Now that its targeting game this would be sold to trappers in the usa and that doesnt look like it would pass the dec's eye lol just another thing against it . If it were marketed for rats i bet you could prime that thing and have it in 2days!

Frankly I don't conceive of squirrels as game –at least not in Florida and surely not in the middle of a large urban city Llike Tampa.

And as far as I'm concerned squirrels are little more than fluffy rats, anyway.  So since they are essentially vermin, I still don't get why these humane but effctive kill traps for squirrels are not available in the US.

Truly puzzling . . .

Paul M.
==
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 02:24:29 PM by Epicatt2 »

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2022, 11:32:23 PM »
I would call the company and ask to get an answer that wont puzzle you .The research i did showed these wernt legal in english countries until they re-wrote the trapping laws. Being an avid hunter/trapper what i was reading made sense and sounded like thats more than likely the reason we cant get them. Truly puzzling is the ignorance of your response.
Bill

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2022, 01:23:44 AM »
I would call the company and ask to get an answer that wont puzzle you .The research i did showed these wernt legal in english countries until they re-wrote the trapping laws. Being an avid hunter/trapper what i was reading made sense and sounded like thats more than likely the reason we cant get them. Truly puzzling is the ignorance of your response.

Good suggestion to call the business.

Don't understand though your remark about my 'ignorant response.'  I just don't consider squirrels as food for me, especially the ones found in dense urban areas where they are surely exposed to god-knows-what in the city's environment.  Makes squirrels seem pretty unapetizing to me.

But the squirrels clearly have been devastating my fruit crops, so I'd just as well prefer to be shed of them.  And before there are any moans about it it's not as if I were intending to destroy the entire species; just those in my immediate area.

Paul M.
==

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2022, 10:46:41 AM »
For rats I have a threefold approach.

1. Once my dog has an eye on them hiding stationary in the tree I shoot them from the tree with a pellet rifle.
2. After they get smart to the tree and shoot method they use the canopy to run away, then I use rat traps baited with slim Jim sausages. They CANNOT resist slim Jim sausage.
3. Once the parents are gone I switch over to mouse traps for the smaller ones which can evade the larger rat traps.

The next year I start the cycle all over again. 

Squirrels are a different story. My pellet rifle is too weak to kill them but once they get stung by it a couple of times, they pretty much stay away.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 07:49:54 PM by gnappi »
Regards,

Gary