Poll

Is the purpose of this section more for sharing and collaboration among members, or is it just another online marketplace?

Share and spread out plants to the other members as much as practical.
13 (72.2%)
Scoop up and/or unload as many plants as possible at bargain prices.
5 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: November 07, 2022, 02:11:09 PM

Author Topic: Is this just a marketplace or are we a plant and information sharing club?  (Read 1148 times)

BenjaminJohnson

• USA,WA,Bellevue,8B
    • View Profile
    • https://eastsidegardening.etsy.com
I have to make a decision and want to be consistent with the purpose of this forum. 

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Is this just a marketplace or are we a plant and information sharing club?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 03:13:37 PM »
I think its fine the way it is, people can set whatever price they want. Even $10 for an Achacha seed...

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 03:16:14 PM »
I would say both, anyone sells. The forum rules below are pretty straight forward.

"If you are a nursery please keep all your sales items grouped under your nursery name to avoid constant spamming! A "NEW" post will light up everytime you add to your post, and you can change the subject to match the current info! Please respect this format to be fair to all of us..
Individuals selling single items may post directly to the main board as always!

Please label your posts in this manner:
If you are looking for a plant/seed please put "Wanted:" at the beginning of your title.

If you are selling a plant/seed please put "Selling:" at the beginning of your title.

You must include the price for any item being sold.

Here are some examples:
Wanted: Artocarpus altilis seeds or plants
Selling: Garcinia mangostana seedlings"

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 03:36:28 PM »
Poll questions and intentions a bit unclear.

Do you have a specific concern with content or format on the listings page?  Sorry, just trying to understand. 

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 04:11:37 PM »
'Buy, Sell, Trade' To me, this is pretty clear what this section is. The information sharing is in a different section. Is that what you meant by 'In this section...'??

BenjaminJohnson

• USA,WA,Bellevue,8B
    • View Profile
    • https://eastsidegardening.etsy.com
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2022, 04:14:12 PM »
I've benefitted and learned so much from the free information from experts and bargains on plants. I just wanted to show the forum creators proper respect and act consistently on what they had envisioned to get the goals here. 

mysteryknight

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2022, 04:14:48 PM »
I agree with FloridaManDan. I use the forum to buy and sell and learn about plants on the discussion forums. I reference the forums a lot although I don't post often.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2022, 04:58:08 PM »
Mostly informative for me. Also, a great place to find plants and material, trade, cheap or free, or something hard to find for whatever. Have unloaded a few plants here and there, but not much. I'm too attached.

While some others may use the site more as a market place, and do not contribute much to the conversations, I am grateful that the market place aspect exists. Happy to have great growers/sellers on here, even if they are quiet otherwise.

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2022, 05:57:50 PM »
I think its fine the way it is, people can set whatever price they want. Even $10 for an Achacha seed...
Dude i lost it when i read this! Haha
Bill

Eric Estrada

• USA, CA, Ventura 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2022, 11:26:48 PM »
I love the website just the way it is. I’m very grateful for all the members who put in the work to spread knowledge and spread plants. Even if there are a few bad seeds now and then it’s pretty clear most people that sell on the forum are fruit lovers and just trying to spread the wealth✌️

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2022, 12:44:40 AM »
It is self evident with posting history what profiles are merchants and those who are "proper" forum members.
It would be good if more barter was going on and less sales, but I get it some buyers don't want to share what they got themselves and prefer to hoard by buying. Collectomania have nuances, some like sharing some love hoarding.

Peace
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2022, 04:31:02 AM »
Personally, I don't visit the Buy Sell Trade sections too much except to peek at an interesting item for reference only, every now and then.
Since B S T doesn't much cross over to the other sections, Im am happy to let others do what they do.
Che (the fruit), Sera, Sera.

Surfmatt

• FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2022, 06:11:22 AM »
This is easily my favorite forum to be in. Just for the mere fact I may be able to acquire a specimen I never knew existed. It gives a person access to plants that may never be seen in their markets at home and I love that. I also have learned so much about tropical fruit here.
Definitely a fruit tree hoarder, but long term, when I build up my farm and all of my collection is put down in the ground and producing I will most definitely return the love and offer any and all to the community. Whether that'd be freebies, barter/trade or sales. I want to provide new genetics to the fruit tree community just as much as I want to acquire them.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2022, 11:04:54 PM »
We need some of both. Its great to be able to learn about a new fruit, but if you can never acquire that fruit the knowledge is useless for the most part.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2022, 01:42:26 AM »
There are 316012 Posts in 23983 Topics spread over 800 pages in the Tropical Fruit Discussion section. There are 74240 Posts in 11049 Topics spread over 369 pages in the Tropical Fruit Buy, Sell & Trade section. There is robust activity in both of the main sections of The Tropical Fruit Forum, though a great deal more in the Discussion section.

So, to answer your question, "Is this just a marketplace or are we a plant and information sharing club?" The answer is both. And I, for one, feel no need to change that.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 01:46:14 AM by W. »

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2022, 03:27:36 AM »
In answer to your question: this section of the forum is buy , sell , and trade .
All of the things naturally happen in this section as well. Discussion, bartering, free hook ups, contests, verbal jousting. Everything you’d want and mentioned.
I need clarification to understand where your coming from :)