Author Topic: Mango variety similar to Peach cobbler?  (Read 1170 times)

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
Mango variety similar to Peach cobbler?
« on: January 01, 2023, 08:26:30 PM »
Happy New Year to you all !

Is there any mango variety with less vigor, similar to Peach cobbler in terms of taste and texture?

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Mango variety similar to Peach cobbler?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 10:31:38 PM »
In my opinion, I’ve never tasted anything similar in taste to a perfect peach cobbler. I’ve had many Duncans and Glenns that tasted like peach to me, similar texture to PC, and sweet, but not as juicy, sweet or Peachy as Peach Cobbler by any means. Duncan and Glenn likely have a little less vigor then PC.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable chimes in here.

If you have not, taste a bunch of Glenn Early AND Late Crop Duncan and see if you agree with me at all. Alex of Tropical Acres Farms sells many Duncan Fruits but i don’t know if he has many Glenn trees. He can also sell you/graft and sell you a tree that meets your criteria.  You can Order the fruits on Tropicalacresfarms.com this season.

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 01:20:55 AM »
In my opinion, I’ve never tasted anything similar in taste to a perfect peach cobbler. I’ve had many Duncans and Glenns that tasted like peach to me, similar texture to PC, and sweet, but not as juicy, sweet or Peachy as Peach Cobbler by any means. Duncan and Glenn likely have a little less vigor then PC.

If you have not, taste a bunch of Glenn Early AND Late Crop Duncan and see if you agree with me at all. Alex of Tropical Acres Farms sells many Duncan Fruits but i don’t know if he has many Glenn trees. He can also sell you/graft and sell you a tree that meets your criteria.  You can Order the fruits on Tropicalacresfarms.com this season.

Thank you for the insight! I thought Peach Cobbler tasted like tangerine. Never tried it though.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 10:50:04 AM »
Thank you for the insight! I thought Peach Cobbler tasted like tangerine. Never tried it though.
Yes, you're right.  Alex calls the flavor "Citrus-Gary."  The only other candidates would be Seacrest and Orange Essence, OE being the better of the two.  I don't know if it's less vigorous.  I wonder how close Edgar would be in flavor.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 10:56:37 AM by johnb51 »
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 12:23:21 PM »
Seacrest is vigorous, OE is a great fruit and tree that seems to grow slower. Certainly one to consider.

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 03:54:13 PM »
Thank you. I will check orange essence.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2023, 04:36:53 PM »
Peach cobbler does have a strong peach flavor if you let it get really soft.
Some say this is overripe but it comes down to preference. It really hard to peel and slice that way though.

You can also give Juicy Peach, Baileys Marvel, or good ole Kent a shot. (Last two have more peach texture than flavor)
I agree with the Orange Essence a shot if you're looking for something slightly more consistently tangerine.

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2023, 06:51:46 PM »

you are correct they are a tangerine converted into mango, they are delicious and last for weeks in the refrigerator with great flavor, no need of freezing
El verde es vida!

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2023, 07:04:04 PM »
Thank you. Actually, I am more into tangerine flavor than peach. I know peaches and tangerines may taste very similar to one another. So, Orange essence would be a good choice with tangerine flavor?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2023, 12:20:02 AM »
As John mentioned, I loosely group Peach Cobbler with a few other mangos under the classification “Gary citrus”, including Seacrest, Orange Essence, and Gary itself depending on growing location and vintage. This is distinctive from what I’ve called the “Burmese citrus” group. PPK, Orange Sherbet, Lemon Zest, and  the Indian mangos Mallika, Dasheri being examples of this.

Seacrest and Orange Essence are both fairly vigorous trees in our experience, while Gary is more of a collector’s mango.

One of the Zill hybrids we grow, 40-17, is pretty impressive and probably belongs in this Gary citrus group with its tangelo notes. The tree has been a pretty compact grower relative to the others mentioned. Much less vigorous. We’ve received very few inquiries about it since it’s unnamed and we haven’t had much info to offer on it.

I’ve always felt the name Peach Cobbler was a misnomer. Sampled blind, almost nobody would make the peach comparison when trying it.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 12:23:08 AM by Squam256 »

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2023, 03:06:10 AM »
As John mentioned, I loosely group Peach Cobbler with a few other mangos under the classification “Gary citrus”, including Seacrest, Orange Essence, and Gary itself depending on growing location and vintage. This is distinctive from what I’ve called the “Burmese citrus” group. PPK, Orange Sherbet, Lemon Zest, and  the Indian mangos Mallika, Dasheri being examples of this.

Seacrest and Orange Essence are both fairly vigorous trees in our experience, while Gary is more of a collector’s mango.

One of the Zill hybrids we grow, 40-17, is pretty impressive and probably belongs in this Gary citrus group with its tangelo notes. The tree has been a pretty compact grower relative to the others mentioned. Much less vigorous. We’ve received very few inquiries about it since it’s unnamed and we haven’t had much info to offer on it.

I’ve always felt the name Peach Cobbler was a misnomer. Sampled blind, almost nobody would make the peach comparison when trying it.

Does 40-17 fruit have fiberless creamy texture too?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2023, 08:32:04 AM »

Does 40-17 fruit have fiberless creamy texture too?

Yes, but not nearly as super soft as Peach Cobbler, which is typically ruined if it drops and hits the ground.