Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

can persimons taste good

(1/6) > >>

lycheeluva:
I have only ever eaten store bought persimons, none of which I would rate more than a 2-3 out of 10.
But I hear many people rave about them- are persimons a fruit like apricot which taste terrible, store bought, but which are great straight off the tree. difficult for me to envisage a persimon tasting exciting. am i wrong peeps?

HMHausman:
I have had some freshly picked persimmons that were pretty good.  I'm not a big fan of the consistancy of the ripe fruit.  The flavor of the non-astringent cultivars is pleasant. No, it'll never move Mauritius lychee from its position in your mind's taste buds, but persimmons are worth growing. I did have some dried whole persimmons that a friend let me try.  He bought them while visiting China.  I actually liked the consistancy and flavor better as dried fruit than I do as a fresh fruit.

Harry

lycheeluva:
harry- we are in total agreement- i also found the texture of the fresh fruit a little off-putting, and I also found the dried fruit to be better tasting than the fresh- though, tell me if you found the same thing- i found that the dried fruit had a very savory rather than fruity taste.

nullzero:

--- Quote from: lycheeluva on February 29, 2012, 04:03:51 PM ---I have only ever eaten store bought persimons, none of which I would rate more than a 2-3 out of 10.
But I hear many people rave about them- are persimons a fruit like apricot which taste terrible, store bought, but which are great straight off the tree. difficult for me to envisage a persimon tasting exciting. am i wrong peeps?

--- End quote ---

Very wrong in my opinion, its a top tier cultivated fruit. You need good varieties of fresh organic Persimmon to really enjoy this great fruit.

There are two different types the astringent and the non astringent. I personally prefer the non astringent because I have versatility of eating (hard like a apple or soft and mushy). I like the non astringent slightly soft.

I went to a persimmon tasting last year and my favorites were;

Maru (Excellent sweet taste with complexity)
Nishimura wase (excellent sweet taste)
Hachiya (a good astringent variety)

2 years ago I had a Giant Fuyu that was one of the best Persimmons I have tasted. It was the size of a large mango. It was Juicy sweet and slightly soft when I ate it, wish I took some pictures.

fruitlovers:

--- Quote from: lycheeluva on February 29, 2012, 05:36:27 PM ---harry- we are in total agreement- i also found the texture of the fresh fruit a little off-putting, and I also found the dried fruit to be better tasting than the fresh- though, tell me if you found the same thing- i found that the dried fruit had a very savory rather than fruity taste.

--- End quote ---

A totally ripe Hachiya is a heavenly delight. They are extremely sweet, kind of like eating dates, but with a melt in the mouth texture. But have to be ripened properly or will be astringent. I rate persimmons when grown properly and ripened properly a 10 out of 10. I think neither of you has had the real item. Either that or you just don't like sweet luscious fruits?
Oscar

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version