Author Topic: What act of nature would Californians first ask mother nature to reprieve?  (Read 1678 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Seems like whenever I turn on the Weather Channel something horrific is happening in California. So I am curious if you could ask Mother Nature for a 5-year reprieve. Which act of nature would be at the top of the list. I guess  it would depend on your location and experience but from reading this forum in the past. My first thought was Gophers breeding. What is your top concern?
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
Gophers you can control and it's not that difficult. If I still lived there I'd say forest fires. Maybe because bad air quality is what forced me to leave. Few positives from fires.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
I can trap a gopher in under 48 hours usually. Can't say the same about being able to stop forest fires. My house is at high risk of burning to the ground (rural in an oak forest) so I'd like to not worry about that for 5 years. Drought is a very close second but I can deal with it by watering less, selling plants off, or putting plants in ground with lots of organic material on top . 

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
Drought.  We need more rain (maybe that will help solving the fire problem as well?).  I have read that there are over 1200 water agencies in California, sucking our money for years and have not come up or implement a reliable method to provide adequate water.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
California has a unique topography not sure there's anywhere on this planet similar. Most weather events are somewhat cyclical but is that the situation with the Santa Ana wind?
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Wild fires driven by santa ana wind. It can take you right off the map if you live in the sticks.
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
California has a unique topography not sure there's anywhere on this planet similar. Most weather events are somewhat cyclical but is that the situation with the Santa Ana wind?

The santa ana wind comes from high pressure system over nevada and utah and low pressure system off the coast of CA.  That causes wind to flow down hill over the sierras and into CA.  And as the ajr travels like this, it increases in speed and temperature and lowers humidity.  Its like a giant supercharged wind event.  Look it up, theres some good pictures of how it works and why.  It just happens when the weather in those 2 places line up.  Usually in Fall.  Its really nasty weather.  Everything you touch shocks you, you lips and skin get all dry, everything is ready to ignite.

Gophers while thry are annoying, are really easy to trap and kill.  I kind of enjoy trapping them.  I have my gopher killing skills so honed I have been considering doing it for money.
Brad Spaugh

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile

The santa ana wind comes from high pressure system over nevada and utah and low pressure system off the coast of CA.  That causes wind to flow down hill over the sierras and into CA.  And as the ajr travels like this, it increases in speed and temperature and lowers humidity.  Its like a giant supercharged wind event.  Look it up, theres some good pictures of how it works and why.  It just happens when the weather in those 2 places line up.  Usually in Fall.  Its really nasty weather.  Everything you touch shocks you, you lips and skin get all dry, everything is ready to ignite.

Gophers while thry are annoying, are really easy to trap and kill.  I kind of enjoy trapping them.  I have my gopher killing skills so honed I have been considering doing it for money.
So it's not the source of the drought just aggravates the situation along with the wildfires? While taking a break I was looking for other places on the globe with similar wind event. What I found that was interesting is in other parts of the world these wind event phenomenons for a better word. Have a psychological effect. In Europe certain crimes committed during these wind events gets a lesser sentence. Are the Gophers oblivious to this LOL

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Strange as it seems, I think we can blame Smokey the Bear for the catastrophic forest fires.  Fire suppression was not a smart policy choice.  Pre-Columbian indigenous people of California used fire extensively as a tool to manage nature.  More indigenous people lived in the area that is now California than anywhere else in the USA/Canada footprint.
John

spaugh

• View Profile

So it's not the source of the drought just aggravates the situation along with the wildfires? While taking a break I was looking for other places on the globe with similar wind event. What I found that was interesting is in other parts of the world these wind event phenomenons for a better word. Have a psychological effect. In Europe certain crimes committed during these wind events gets a lesser sentence. Are the Gophers oblivious to this LOL

The drought i think is over for now.  Once the snow melts the rservoirs will be full.  This drought cycle and then flood cycle has been going on forever.  I remember as a kid that they would have signs up saying dont flush the toilet in resturants to save water and then the next year it would be the river is about to spill over and flood the town.  The only thing that changed is how hyped up the news coverage of everything has become.  Too much sensationalism and scare mongering.
Brad Spaugh

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
Re: What act of nature would Californians first ask mother nature to reprieve?
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2023, 09:09:26 PM »
Strange as it seems, I think we can blame Smokey the Bear for the catastrophic forest fires.  Fire suppression was not a smart policy choice.  Pre-Columbian indigenous people of California used fire extensively as a tool to manage nature.  More indigenous people lived in the area that is now California than anywhere else in the USA/Canada footprint.

Hey man, you leave poor Smokey alone. Bad enough we developed right over his habitat.  Seriously though, CA does do some controlled burns but I would imagine that it’s a bit more difficult when the developed landscape looks far more different than when the indigenous peoples ruled the land.
Fire is the one catastrophe that would move me out of CA.  If my property burns down, it’s game over for me.  Im just not willing to rebuild everything that I have built and planted so far.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2023, 09:13:29 PM »
As a counterpart, Floridians would like to request a 5 year repreive from hurricanes.  :P

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2023, 09:20:15 PM »

Hey man, you leave poor Smokey alone. Bad enough we developed right over his habitat.  Seriously though, CA does do some controlled burns but I would imagine that it’s a bit more difficult when the developed landscape looks far more different than when the indigenous peoples ruled the land.
Fire is the one catastrophe that would move me out of CA.  If my property burns down, it’s game over for me.  Im just not willing to rebuild everything that I have built and planted so far.

You keeping a good fire break and hardening your structures?  Its doubtful you will burn down if you did some work on not letting it happen.  100ft break and stucco roof?   I know which of my neighbors are going to loose their house when it blows through.  Some of them dont even bother at all with fire mitigation.
Brad Spaugh

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2023, 09:42:12 PM »
On the years that we have surplus rain, we need to collect them.  That way, we don't get starved aproaching the drought years.

Cali is full of canyons, which can be turned into reservoirs.  Imagine future houses are mandated to have giantic septic tank and solar on the roof (ev cars are coming)? LOL.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2023, 09:59:55 PM »

You keeping a good fire break and hardening your structures?  Its doubtful you will burn down if you did some work on not letting it happen.  100ft break and stucco roof?   I know which of my neighbors are going to loose their house when it blows through.  Some of them dont even bother at all with fire mitigation.
With your drought would it even be feasible to have a cistern or water retention pond to run irrigation across the Peak or ridge of your roof. Also a small tractor with a disc to maintain your fire break might be useful. As far as hurricanes other than the Coast. In the interior I think The Californians would find Florida to be a large water amusement park LOL
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 10:07:00 PM by bovine421 »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2023, 10:09:38 PM »
The houses that dont have city water are required to have a 10,000 gal tank and a 4in hydrant for fighting fire with.  You could definitely put sprinklers on the roof and eves.  Ive got like 6 or more fire hose hookups all connected to my tank and sprinklers around the house and on all my well equipmwnt and solar panels.  If theres a fire Ill be staying right here and protecting all my crap. 
Brad Spaugh

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2023, 02:36:35 AM »
Legally allowing trees to be cut down for fire breaks and controlled burns would help the fires.

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2023, 10:57:39 AM »
Controlled burns and fire management was actually something that went astray in Southern California. In other places in the US it was a more useful tool, but the chaparral that makes up the majority of plant material down here has evolved around fires at intervals of about 100 years. When prescribed burns came through they were done much more regularly, plus whatever wild fires happened. This led to invasive species (grasses and mustards in particular) which grow much quicker than chaparral taking over large swaths of the landscape. These less hardy plants die out and crisp up once summer comes into full effect, leading us into a cycle of fire.

The drought, unfortunately, is not over after one year of rain. Drought is an overall climate condition, and we experiencing a weather event. Even with all this rain 60% of California is in drought. The reservoirs will only hold so much, lake mead is still falling, and our depleted aquifers are not getting recharged sufficiently.

Unfortunately wishing and hoping isn’t going to help us much, management and action may. I hope all of us look at managing our water for our thirsty trees efficiently and work towards reducing our footprints. I know lots of people disagree/ disbelieve with environmental policy and confuse it with political issues, we all know someone who has left CA citing the government and prices. Honestly the only thing I see having me leave CA is the prolonged climate issues and water

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2023, 12:48:04 PM »
I'll take it all!! Don't mind me some natural disasters to help humble us.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2023, 01:04:02 PM »
The houses that dont have city water are required to have a 10,000 gal tank and a 4in hydrant for fighting fire with.  You could definitely put sprinklers on the roof and eves.  Ive got like 6 or more fire hose hookups all connected to my tank and sprinklers around the house and on all my well equipmwnt and solar panels.  If theres a fire Ill be staying right here and protecting all my crap.

You ARE the fire department, Brad. I salute you!

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2023, 02:09:44 PM »

I have one neighbor who is a total prick who comes out and yells at us for pruning, weeding, or doing any fire mitigation whatsoever. He just wants everything to stay the same and thinks that it's a waste of time to even try. His house is so treed in that you can barely see it. It's annoying cause his property borders mine so there is really nothing we can do, he also LOVES his eucalyptus trees and won't consider topping or managing them. His house is surrounded by them.

I do my best and leaf blow every 2 weeks during summer, I pruned the canopy up to 15'+, but the houses are wood with shingle so I know it's pretty well guaranteed they'll burn down if and when a fire shows up. Wish my landlord would spend more on mitigation and tree work but she has other priorities like her son's wedding and traveling...

Barbarian

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2023, 06:56:33 PM »
It's annoying cause his property borders mine so there is really nothing we can do, he also LOVES his eucalyptus trees and won't consider topping or managing them. His house is surrounded by them.

(I’m the guy who recognized you on r/sb the other day.) I didn’t realize there were eucalyptus up the mountain here but I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. They’re everywhere. My neighbor (school district) has got about 20 of the damn things near the border of our properties and is in uninterested in managing them either, even though they’ve started falling and the last one to go down damaged a tree on my side.

To the thread topic: I’m on a creek and the erosion from the flooding is getting close to taking out a half dozen of my fruit trees. Worse, if it gets through those, my house is next. So I wouldn’t mind if the rains were mellow in the future - but on the other hand I’ll take a little erosion over endless drought.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 06:58:14 PM by Barbarian »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2023, 08:09:31 PM »
It's annoying cause his property borders mine so there is really nothing we can do, he also LOVES his eucalyptus trees and won't consider topping or managing them. His house is surrounded by them.

(I’m the guy who recognized you on r/sb the other day.) I didn’t realize there were eucalyptus up the mountain here but I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. They’re everywhere. My neighbor (school district) has got about 20 of the damn things near the border of our properties and is in uninterested in managing them either, even though they’ve started falling and the last one to go down damaged a tree on my side.

To the thread topic: I’m on a creek and the erosion from the flooding is getting close to taking out a half dozen of my fruit trees. Worse, if it gets through those, my house is next. So I wouldn’t mind if the rains were mellow in the future - but on the other hand I’ll take a little erosion over endless drought.

Nice to see you posting Reddit friend. I would strongly recommend getting a retaining wall put in. Neighbors below me on the river have a 10' sandbag / concrete wall that stands up to a ton of water every year, and didn't even blink with these storms even with water overflowing the banks. If you're a renter, I feel for you!

The eucs at my place are just starting to fall here and there. They're not massive but they're enough to cause damage, especially to my orchard and are obscenely tall. They'll certainly take out the power lines... Some people just can't be bothered to do any maintenance I guess!

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2023, 10:29:52 AM »
Krimes- when the winds come it blows the fire front 1/4 -1/2 mile forward so while I agree your neighbor is blowing it , there is not much you can do in a neighborhood inside a state or national park. My house burned 2018 , Cal Fire said it was all good no danger to the neighborhood that day. Winds picked up towards dark and inferno'd 7 miles quickly overnight. No one got a reverse 911 or any warning. every structure was destroyed on 70 parcels, 1 person died and a few people didn't make it out that night and had hairy stories that will be at the front of their mind for the rest of their days. So in a sense there is nothing you can do if it Inferno's but I would still cut down every Euc and Bay tree and prune all the Oaks up to 15' . I think that is the best forest setting for living in CA. Living under the Redwoods is unhealthy.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2023, 01:01:02 PM »
Even with the fire risks, drought, and floods, I love it here.  I have lived in several different states and countries and there is nowhere else I’d rather be.  I’m putting down deep roots here.

All these issues and solutions are complex.  We spent a few thousand to have 3 large eucalyptus pruned but I do not want to remove them. One of them is really old, has over six feet diameter trunk and blossoms that smell fruity like cherimoya blossoms.  It creates a lot of shade and acts as a windbreak in our 100 degree summers and always has birds in it.  It would be a huge loss to remove it.  I’m also surrounded by Eucalyptus farms for the cut flower industry.

Like Brad suggested, we have water storage tank, creating firebreaks, surrounding our property with fire resistant plants like opuntia.  Pruning all the oaks and natives, clearing deadwood and underbrush is a priority, which at the moment is an overwhelming task.  We will most likely build our structures out of metal shipping containers.

If anyone is interested in strategies for drought management, these are two of my favorite books.

Janet