Author Topic: Trees with Edible Leaves  (Read 2287 times)

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
Trees with Edible Leaves
« on: February 17, 2023, 12:18:55 PM »
Want to share a free PDF publication by the Perennial Agriculture Institute.

Trees with Edible Leaves by Eric Toensmeier
https://perennialagricultureinstitute.files.wordpress.com/2023/01/trees-with-edible-leaves.pdf?mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Janet

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Re: Trees with Edible Leaves
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 01:25:02 PM »
Thank you for sharing. Looks like I might have a few more plants to try out

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 03:22:19 PM »
mmmmmmm leaf

Muni

• All there is.
    • Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 11:14:26 PM »
Thank you.
Allow yourself to know, if you wish, that this is a multi dimensional communication.
See what happens.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2023, 09:03:57 AM »
That's awesome! I was excited to see that I already have many of the tropical ones in my greenhouse!!!

Carolyn

Lucifermonkey

• West Palm Beach - 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2023, 09:11:37 AM »
Thank you! Lots of helpful info in there 😃

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2023, 09:56:14 AM »
Super awesome post! Thank you for sharing. =)

Nice to know we have several trees with nutritious leaves, and know of more to procure now as well.

Paulish

• US, CA, San Diego, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 08:14:24 PM »
Thanks for sharing this resource of excellent information!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 03:17:57 PM by Paulish »

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2023, 10:35:10 AM »
Great resource!

Thanks Janet

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2023, 01:46:24 PM »
Please share your experiences and taste reviews of any plants that you try.

I ordered the Chinese Toon tree from several different sources a few years ago and found that I did not like the taste of the pink and several other varieties including the one from Sow Exotic.  The best tasting one was from an eBay seller in New York.  When I opened the box, I was hit with a “meaty” oniony fragrance.  It’s unexpected to have that taste and fragrance come from the leaves of a tree.  It reminds me of Cordia verbenacea, except that herb smells more like the Knorr chicken noodle soup packets in the ‘80s.  Looking forward to being able to harvest enough to experiment with.

I like the idea of how nutritious Moringa leaves are, but that horseradish flavor can be strong and overpowering in salads.  I found a dwarf variety from Baker Creek that has a less spicy, more nutty flavor like Katuk.  That’s the only variety I’m growing now.

Katuk is one of my favorites.  It does have a nutty flavor as described.  I love this plant and the variegated variety is beautiful.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 02:01:48 PM by JCorte »

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2023, 01:59:02 PM »
Abelmoschus manihot is one of my favorites.  It cooks up tender, mild neutral taste, and more nutritious than spinach.  Plus it’s beautiful.

This past year, I’ve grown to love Chaya.  I was a little hesitant because of the cyanide, but boiling the leaves in a non aluminum pot makes it safe.  It tastes great, highly nutritious and is effortless to grow.  It was challenging to say the least trying to grow more traditional veggies and greens at the farm with gophers, squirrels, and rabbits.  Squirrels had no problem climbing my tall metal planters.  All the animals left the Chaya to grow huge and it’s a bonus they are so easy to propagate from cuttings.

Mulberries are one of my favorites to grow so I’m really interested in trying the young leaves of the alba varieties.  I didn’t know they were so packed with nutrients.  I don’t have the three varieties that the book mentioned with the most tender leaves but I have over a dozen varieties to test.

Hope others will experiment as well and report back.

Janet

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2023, 03:27:55 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/aug/25/lori-mcclintock-death-white-mulberry-leaf-congressman-wife

Did you happen to catch this only because it was a Californian congressman? I'm sort of baffled how this information would disseminate to the forum. Just seems like an odd way to highlight adverse health conditions with something I viewed as safe in moderation.

I guess it made me chuckle on how news of a congressman's wife is meaningful info to the forum

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2023, 03:34:46 PM »
From the book page 33

"While there have been news stories about deaths from overconsumption of mulberry leaf, these are inaccurate.  ...mulberry is actually among the safest of all leaves humans ingest."
Nutrition. Extremely high in calcium and iron, very high fiber, magnesium, zinc, folate, and Vitamin C

I encourage everyone to do their own research before eating anything new. 

Janet

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2023, 03:41:23 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/aug/25/lori-mcclintock-death-white-mulberry-leaf-congressman-wife

It was determined that the mulberry leaf powders she was taking were probably contaminated with other stuff or just plain mislabeled. Supplements are a very shady industry, it's a shame that their poor quality controls have caused people to be wrongly afraid of a completely safe plant like mulberry.

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2023, 03:45:58 PM »
There are a lot of articles on the health benefits of loquat leaf tea.  Just made a batch.  It’s hard to capture in the photo how beautiful the color is, it's a peachy coral.  Taste is light and fruity.  If you have a loquat tree or access to leaves it’s worth making.

A link to a Japanese video on how to make and store loquat leaves for tea.  I used fresh leaves to make mine.  Just scrub off the light fuzz on the underside of old leaves and cut into pieces.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BBtohW0DLZw

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2023, 03:47:56 PM »

Definitely an odd determination for the coroner to make, although who am I to argue? Like Janet said, do your own research, but theres plenty of evidence of the benefits of their consumption. Everything in moderation; who knows how much she consumed? what other substances and unregulated health supplements was she taking? Did alcohol or drugs play into it?
You can die from drinking water.
At least the article addresses the counterpoint from Daniel Fabricant.

Best to include some info when dropping a link like this in the forum. Theres lots of people out there who look at headlines and make assumptions off that.

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2023, 04:09:14 PM »
There was also a controversy surrounding Katuk leaves.  People developed lung issues taking katuk extracts and consuming almost half pound of leaves every day for 20 days for weight loss.  Here is a link to post by Green Deane, Katuk Kontroversy.
https://www.eattheweeds.com/edible-katuk-sauropus-androgynus-2/

I think Katuk actually has one of the tastiest leaves, but I don't eat it everyday and definitely not in such excessive amounts.  In the article he mentions that Katuk leaves are half protein, amazing amount for a vegetable.

Janet
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 04:12:20 PM by JCorte »

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2023, 04:16:09 PM »

Did you happen to catch this only because it was a Californian congressman? I'm sort of baffled how this information would disseminate to the forum. Just seems like an odd way to highlight adverse health conditions with something I viewed as safe in moderation.

I guess it made me chuckle on how news of a congressman's wife is meaningful info to the forum

Nah, I read The Guardian (a British newspaper) regularly, and remembered seeing this article. It's also on the Wikipedia page for Morus alba.

I don't know what's baffling about my posting it. We probably wouldn't have heard about it if she weren't a noteworthy person. Her death doesn't seem amusing to me.

It was determined that the mulberry leaf powders she was taking were probably contaminated with other stuff or just plain mislabeled. Supplements are a very shady industry, it's a shame that their poor quality controls have caused people to be wrongly afraid of a completely safe plant like mulberry.

Any source for the claim it was only due to contamination? I looked but found none. Here's what I did find:

"The coroner had asked Colwell to identify the 1 1/8-inch-by-1 7/8-inch leaf fragment found in McClintock's stomach during the autopsy.

Colwell identified it as white mulberry and concluded, based on its flexibility and "some green color," that it "was likely ingested when fresh," her letter said. "

- https://www.cbsnews.com/news/experts-question-white-mulberry-death-of-lori-mcclintock-congressmans-wife/

So what you say about it being contaminated "powders" doesn't sound accurate.

From the book page 33

"While there have been news stories about deaths from overconsumption of mulberry leaf, these are inaccurate.  ...mulberry is actually among the safest of all leaves humans ingest."
Nutrition. Extremely high in calcium and iron, very high fiber, magnesium, zinc, folate, and Vitamin C

I encourage everyone to do their own research before eating anything new. 

Janet

I looked, the book's source is the CBS article I linked, which is not definitive to me. "According to the CBS story “Experts Question the Role
of White Mulberry in Death of Congressman’s Wife,” mulberry is actually among the safest of all leaves humans ingest."

Personally I'm guessing it's probably safe, but this dismissal of concerns seems cavalier.

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2023, 04:26:29 PM »
Sorry Nate, didnt mean any disrespect. I phrased my words poorly. Not trying to make a joke but I follow politics closely and never heard this story.

Didn't want to impose any ill will on the deceased

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2023, 04:39:26 PM »
Thanks <3

I regret posting the article, didn't mean to hijack the thread Janet. Not trying to get controversial. Enjoy your toxic tree leaves everybody! ;)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2023, 05:00:42 PM »
lol!

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2023, 05:16:45 PM »
So what you say about it being contaminated "powders" doesn't sound accurate.

My apologies, I had read the NY Times story written later that said there are only two prior cases of any negative reactions, both of which were associated with potentially contaminated powder supplements, and had misremembered that story, thinking they said it was likely similar in the death.

There are a number of mulberry leaf studies that have been done, none of which have found any toxic effects. For example, this study tested much higher concentrations than anyone would ever ingest and there were no adverse effects in rats:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29530616/

Here's another one:
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/00469580211056044

And another one:
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1091581816670597

Here's a human study, where the worst side effect reported from pretty high doses was diarrhea:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20687135/

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2023, 05:24:25 PM »
Please share your experiences and taste reviews of any plants that you try.

I ordered the Chinese Toon tree from several different sources a few years ago and found that I did not like the taste of the pink and several other varieties including the one from Sow Exotic.  The best tasting one was from an eBay seller in New York.  When I opened the box, I was hit with a “meaty” oniony fragrance.  It’s unexpected to have that taste and fragrance come from the leaves of a tree.  It reminds me of Cordia verbenacea, except that herb smells more like the Knorr chicken noodle soup packets in the ‘80s.  Looking forward to being able to harvest enough to experiment with.

I like the idea of how nutritious Moringa leaves are, but that horseradish flavor can be strong and overpowering in salads.  I found a dwarf variety from Baker Creek that has a less spicy, more nutty flavor like Katuk.  That’s the only variety I’m growing now.

Katuk is one of my favorites.  It does have a nutty flavor as described.  I love this plant and the variegated variety is beautiful.

Please keep us posted. I love the taste of onion, but have found it doesn't agree with my digestion, so I've been hunting for an alternative.

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2023, 05:35:20 PM »
NateTheGreat, I think it's good you posted.  More information the better and it's beneficial to question both sides, so we can all learn. 

Assessing risks of trying new foods is not always easy.  Correlation does not mean causation.  I wonder when people have reactions because they are taking foods in a concentrated or supplement form instead of as a whole food.  Also, there could be adverse side affects from foods that are highly sprayed with pesticides and other toxic chemicals, especially in places that are not regulated. 

We are all different and may have different sensitivities, allergies, etc.  So many kids have peanut allergies nowadays.  My husband eats almost a jar a week with apples as an evening snack. 

It is important to do your research and introduce new foods slowly.  Like I mentioned about Chaya, it needs to be cooked before it's safe to eat.  I use to eat fava beans, but I don't cook it for my family because my husband is of Italian descent and I don't want to risk favism.  So food choices can be complex.

There are a lot of foods that have a long history of being eaten safely that I have not tried yet.  I love learning about new plants and foods and cooking so I'm looking forward to experimenting. 

A few years ago, I read an article where the owner of Noma (3 Michelin stars) raved about a dish infused with avocado leaves.  Most avocado leaves are toxic, so make sure you have the right tree.  I planted a Stewart so I can harvest the leaves. 

Janet