Author Topic: Passiflora-quadrangularis (unknown variety)- Free plus cost for shipment  (Read 1995 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
For any forum members, I cut most of my Passiflora-quadrangularis vine down and will be giving them away, buy you will need to pay for the cost to ship. This P. quad will probably need to be hand pollinated to get fruits. I have not hand pollinated any for fruit so you can try it.

The two shipping option I will use is:  I'm changing the size of the medium box
1. USPS priority mail, small box, $10.20 (box size is 2"x5"x8")  -> can fit 7 cuttings with no leaves

2. USPS priority mail, medium box, $17.10 (box size is 12"x3"x14") -> can fit 10-12 cuttings with no leaves. Cutting length will be longer.

Sales is for this week only (3/13-3/17), ship to lower 48 states.
-> I will extend this sale to end of next week, 3/24/23. I have all the cuttings ready to pack and ship.

Paypal, Friends & Family payment.

Send me a PM if you are interested in some cuttings.

Update:
I will be posting on the discusson section about a "Passiflora-quadrangularis Challenge."
Winner will be able to name this unknown seedling variety and will win $50.

Click on this link to get more details on the Challenge, it starts now.
https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=50492.0

======================
Here's the photo of the flowers.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 08:15:09 AM by sc4001992 »

12Zodiac

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Pm

Kankan

• Fallbrook, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Curious why you took out your P Quadrangularis. Was the fruit not very good, assuming it fruited? I heard they were pretty good/sweet.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Kankan, I did not completely remove the vine, just 90% of the new branches. I still have the main vine branch which is nice a large (1-1/2" diameter) that I will keep in the same spot in ground. Just will be now letting a few branches of the vine grow until I see what type of fruit and how good it tastes.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 12:54:38 AM by sc4001992 »

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
Awesome!

I've actually tried to grow this from seed and failed, I'd love to try some cuttings PMed you :)

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Pming you

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
I spent a few hours cutting to size the vine so it can be shipped in either the small box or the medium box. It looks like even in the medium box I will not be able to keep much leaves on the cutting. To root it, you don't need to have the leaves, I can already see some new bud (micro size) starting to grow so it should be fine. When I planted a few cuttings last fall, I just cut the vine and stuck it in any pot that had a plant growing and it started to root fine.

Tomorrow when I finish cutting all the vine into shippable lengths, I will take some photos to post here so you can see how many leaf buds will be in each box size. The small box will only allow 2 leaf nodes but as long as one leaf node grows out it will be fine. But if you buy the medium box then I can put in the longer length cuttings.

-> Note: I changed the dimension of the medium size box so I can put in longer cuttings.

Here's what the cuttings look like to fit into the small box:

Here's the two sizes to choose from:

« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 02:40:46 AM by sc4001992 »

BenjaminJohnson

• USA,WA,Bellevue,8B
    • View Profile
    • https://eastsidegardening.etsy.com
For the past 4-5 years, I've been growing P. Quadrangularis and a couple of P. Alata to flowering several times, but couldn't get a fruit, even with hand pollination.  I'm read that the problem is self-sterility since I couldn't ever get them two of them to flower at the same time and was always using pollen from the same plant.  I'm hoping this year that my two Alata's will flower simultaneously so I can cross pollinate them and finally get a fruit.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
I think you're correct about cross pollinating. Hoang said I can use any of my other passion fruit flowers to pollinate the P. quadrangularis, also one other thing to do is to give it manure before it flowers.

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Kaz,

Really awesome of you to share these cuttings with the community, along with your awesome challenge. People charge more than they should for these online (etsy/ebay etc.)
I would take some of the cuttings if I had the space, but my P. Quad vine is thick and boomin', leaves no space for others atm.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Yup, it does grow fast and needs to be trimmed to keep it small or reasonable size vine. I wanted to wait until I got the first fruits on my vine, but it got way to large so I'm removing most of the side growth and leaving only some to grow and hope it fruits.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
I updated the last day to order to end of next week. I have a lot of cuttings so please take them. i will be sending out all orders for this week on Friday. If you don't hear back from me Friday with a tracking number then please send me a PM reminder.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Updated with photos of cuttings.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Update on number of cuttings:

The two shipping option I will use is:  I'm changing the size of the medium box
1. USPS priority mail, small box, $10.20 (box size is 2"x5"x8")  -> can fit 7 cuttings with no leaves

2. USPS priority mail, medium box, $17.10 (box size is 12"x3"x14") -> can fit 10-12 cuttings with no leaves. Cutting length will be longer.

I checked how many cuttings I still have, a lot, maybe 100 of the small lengths and 50 of the long lengths.

Need more people to take these cuttings to grow. It grows easy if you start it in a jar of water, then after you see some roots just transfer it to any pot with potting mix, nothing special required. Remember to change the water once a week.

This vine seems to be a strong/vigorous one so it is low maintenance. When it does fruit, it is suppose to be one of the largest of the passiflora fruits.

Pneuma

• Dont Panic its Organic
    • 9b
    • View Profile
sending a Pm
sign me up.
Thanks for offering these Up like you are to community.
"Flowers always make people better, happier and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul.'
-Luther Burbank

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 05:22:04 PM by sc4001992 »

gumbo2go

• USA, Louisiana, Zone 8b
    • View Profile
Hey Kaz,   

if you have any passion fruit cuttings left I can take a few (small box).   Currently, trying to sprout some alata but these sound fun too.   PMed you
- Even a blind hog finds an acorn every now & then!

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Cuttings received. Thank you!

Surfmatt

• FL
    • View Profile
Cuttings came in looking great. Great shipping per usual Kaz! Thanks!

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 05:22:20 PM by sc4001992 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Here's the final list of members who wanted the cuttings and will be entered into the Quadrangularis Challenge and a chance to be the first to get a fruit and win the $50 cash (Paypal) or pick one scionwood from my collection is on my last post 3/25/23.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 08:18:04 AM by sc4001992 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 08:18:25 AM by sc4001992 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 08:18:42 AM by sc4001992 »

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
PM sent for large box.

adhawk76

• USA, California, San Diego, 10a
    • View Profile
Hi. If it's not too late, I would like to get in the challenge. I would take a small box.
Adam Olds
3081 Luna Ave
San Diego, CA