Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Whole Food Organic mangos

(1/6) > >>

FloridaGreenMan:
Today I stopped by Whole Foods and picked up a few of their Organic "Ataulfo" mangos from Mexico. They looked good in their impressive display and even though I am always disappointed with the imported mangos, I thought...maybe this time it will be different! Well I got home and anxiously cut one open and tried it...YUCK. They were insipid and nasty. These things were picked 2 weeks before they were ready!     

SWRancher:
I really hate when that happens. On an up note, I bought some Ataulfo's from Publix the other day that were pretty darn good.   

JF:

--- Quote from: FloridaGreenMan on March 30, 2012, 08:48:14 PM ---Today I stopped by Whole Foods and picked up a few of their Organic "Ataulfo" mangos from Mexico. They looked good in their impressive display and even though I am always disappointed with the imported mangos, I thought...maybe this time it will be different! Well I got home and anxiously cut one open and tried it...YUCK. They were insipid and nasty. These things were picked 2 weeks before they were ready!     

--- End quote ---

buy Michoacan mangos those are probably from Sinaloa.

JF

Jsvand5:
The ataulfo's seem to be 50/50 for me. I think when they are at their best they are really good for a store bought mango but they can be REALLY bad if you don't get them at the right time. The ones that I have seen labeled as Champagne have always been good. Seems like they are better about picking them at the right time.

Squam256:
I've had poor luck with them. Have had some ok ones but most disappoint, and I no longer buy them. IMO, they are only better than your 'typical' supermarket mango because they "aren't Tommy Atkins".

I've basically given up on having quality off-season mango aside from maybe Chok Anon or other SE Asian off-season fruit. I just get whatever is actually in season.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version