Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Double grafts?

(1/1)

Pancrazio:
I was wondering: has somene ever tried to graft a really vigorous mango over a dwarf one (for istance, a Valencia Pride over a Julie)? This way you would have a valencia pride over julie and julie over the turpentine. I'm wondering if grafting this way could lead to a seriously diminished growt of the most vigorous mango, with all the dwarfin benefits we ask for (easier fruit reach, easier size control, but same fruit quality and flavour). I'm pretty sure that this isn't a new idea, but i'd like to hear about the results.

bsbullie:

--- Quote from: Pancrazio on April 11, 2012, 06:45:30 AM ---I was wondering: has somene ever tried to graft a really vigorous mango over a dwarf one (for istance, a Valencia Pride over a Julie)? This way you would have a valencia pride over julie and julie over the turpentine. I'm wondering if grafting this way could lead to a seriously diminished growt of the most vigorous mango, with all the dwarfin benefits we ask for (easier fruit reach, easier size control, but same fruit quality and flavour). I'm pretty sure that this isn't a new idea, but i'd like to hear about the results.

--- End quote ---
To accomplish what you describe, you would want to graft the VP onto a dwarfing rootstock, not onto a branch of the Julie.  Oddly. I have only seen a handful of varieties grafted onto dwarfing rootstock (Nam Doc Mai, Carrie, Val-Carrie and one or two others that slip my mind this early in the am), and all are less vigorous than VP.

murahilin:

--- Quote from: Pancrazio on April 11, 2012, 06:45:30 AM ---I was wondering: has somene ever tried to graft a really vigorous mango over a dwarf one (for istance, a Valencia Pride over a Julie)? This way you would have a valencia pride over julie and julie over the turpentine. I'm wondering if grafting this way could lead to a seriously diminished growt of the most vigorous mango, with all the dwarfin benefits we ask for (easier fruit reach, easier size control, but same fruit quality and flavour). I'm pretty sure that this isn't a new idea, but i'd like to hear about the results.

--- End quote ---

It may work. There has been some work done with dwarfing rootstocks for mango and what they found out was that different cultivars react differently do different rootstocks so one rootstock that may dwarf a certain variety will not dwarf the other. The reason I said it may work is that the dwarfing ability of a Julie used as an interstock may dwarf the VP in some way but then again it may not do anything at all.

--- Quote from: bsbullie on April 11, 2012, 07:30:01 AM ---To accomplish what you describe, you would want to graft the VP onto a dwarfing rootstock, not onto a branch of the Julie.  Oddly. I have only seen a handful of varieties grafted onto dwarfing rootstock (Nam Doc Mai, Carrie, Val-Carrie and one or two others that slip my mind this early in the am), and all are less vigorous than VP.

--- End quote ---

It is possible that Julie could be a dwarfing interstock. It could be one of the dwarf varieties that cause the VP to dwarf. It is unlikely, but possible.

Pancrazio:
This is what i meant: interstock. I simply didn't know how to express that. :)
Apparently those dwarfing interstocks does exist, but they aren't the well-known dwarf varieties.
So i wonder, is there someone wich keep tracks about them? Dwafing rootstock/interstocks?

fruitlovers:
I haven't tried this myself but there is someone here who has and they told me that grafting onto Julie rootstock does indeed dwarf the tree. Valencia Pride doesn't exist here so i doubt it's been tried with that. May work differently with different cultivars, but apparently it does work with many.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version