Author Topic: Lime leaves curling  (Read 508 times)

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Lime leaves curling
« on: March 07, 2023, 12:34:19 PM »
I have a few Persian limes along with Meyer lemons in pots right next to each other. Two weeks ago gave all of them a top dressing of compost along with some well-aged cow manure. Lemons are putting out healthy new leaves, but the limes are curling (see pics). It’s not CLM (it's an issue, but I know what CLM looks like), I can’t see any pests or damage to the new leaves, so I’m thinking it’s something in the top dressing. I also moved them to a slightly sunnier spot a week or two prior to the top dressing; they are getting maybe 3 hours of (early morning) extra sun, but are shaded from 11AM-3PM.

Any guesses on the issue (and solutions) are appreciated!

« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 12:41:51 PM by JakeFruit »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Lime leaves curling
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 01:17:22 PM »
Could be most any sucking insects, with a high probably being  thrips.  This type of problem can be easily be eliminated by spraying the new growth with a horticultural oil every couple days until the leaf matures.  Even a daily  strong water spray to the upper and lower  leaf until the new growth firms up will go a long way to stop this leaf curl.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 05:52:17 PM by Millet »

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 01:28:24 PM »
Thanks Millet.
Figures, I moved all my citrus pots to a different area of my yard and the CLM issue disappeared (guess those little critters don't have a very large range), but now I have thirps  ::)
I can use the Spinosad I had been spraying to fight CLM, right?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 05:56:21 PM »
you can use anything that kills thrip.  The new leaves require protection from the start of the leaf's life, until it becomes mature enough in order to deter leaf curl.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 04:07:46 PM by Millet »

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 08:51:27 AM »
Okay, looks like it does. One last question, I know the popular opinion is you don't remove leaves damaged by CLM, would you say the same for these curly leaves? They are really gnarly and snap/break with the slightest force. I'm thinking removing them might prompt the trees to push new leaves again (sooner).

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 04:14:21 PM »
I don't know the real answer to that.  Any curled leaves that one of my trees get, I leave on for their natural life (18 months).  Curled leaves still produce almost the same amount of energy for the tree as do normal curled leaves.