Author Topic: Can you order cold hardy citrus  (Read 797 times)

Unicyclemike

• Red Lion
    • View Profile
Can you order cold hardy citrus
« on: December 04, 2022, 03:10:10 PM »
Is there anyplace to order cold hardy citrus to sample?  I would like to try some different varieties before I decide to buy any more trees?

Unicycle Mike

Balance

• Everett, WA, Zone 8b
    • View Profile
Re: Can you order cold hardy citrus
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 01:34:36 PM »
I'm sure you can, I'd just start by searching for the specific fruit you're looking for with "for sale" after it. I'd expect it to be rather pricey though as it would be considered a specialty fruit. You may have better luck posting in the buy/sell thread on the forum to see if forum members would be willing to send fruits they have.

Peep

• Belgium, Antwerp - 8a/8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 02:37:44 PM »
There is for example a nursery in France that has citrus fruit baskets now, but it is tied to what is ripe at this time. Not everything in it is cold hardy either. I've seen them sold containing Keraji, Ichang Lemon, and of course Yuzu and Satsuma. Throughout the year they sell citrus to restaurants. The window of ripe fruit is quite small, they are not processed and treated for storage in the way they do in commercial fruit nurseries. https://agrumes-vessieres.fr/categorie-produit/nos-fruits

There is not much commercial fruit cultivation of the hardy varieties, and if there is, then they will likely not have a wide range of varieties. Only something like satsuma and Yuzu I expect.

Best you can do is contact/visit nurseries that sell hardy citrus plants and ask what is ripe on the trees at that time. Or ask in citrus facebook groups or forums.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 07:01:42 PM by Peep »

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 08:24:57 AM »
There is for example a nursery in France that has citrus fruit baskets now, but it is tied to what is ripe at this time. Not everything in it is cold hardy either. I've seen them sold containing Keraji, Ichang Lemon, and of course Yuzu and Satsuma. Throughout the year they sell citrus to restaurants. The window of ripe fruit is quite small, they are not processed and treated for storage in the way they do in commercial fruit nurseries. https://agrumes-vessieres.fr/categorie-produit/nos-fruits

There is not much commercial fruit cultivation of the hardy varieties, and if there is, then they will likely not have a wide range of varieties. Only something like satsuma and Yuzu I expect.

Best you can do is contact/visit nurseries that sell hardy citrus plants and ask what is ripe on the trees at that time. Or ask in citrus facebook groups or forums.

He's in the US, many US states can't even import citrus from other states, let alone from abroad.

manfromyard

• USA, Ga, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 12:33:37 PM »
Hershell at Madisoncitrusnursery does ship fruit, but mostly the non-hardy type. However, I'm certain he has fruit from the hardy types that he doesn't market (who really wants those?). You should send him an e-mail and see what he will charge to send you some.