Author Topic: Ichang Papeda from seed?  (Read 535 times)

Perplexed

• 7b/8a GA
    • View Profile
Ichang Papeda from seed?
« on: May 16, 2023, 11:01:06 AM »
OK. Ichang papeda is very heterogenous I've heard. I've also heard that even self pollinating it with itself will not be true to type and may show different characteristics like hardiness, fruit size, dry pith vs juicy pith, and leaf petiole size. Specifically with ichang papeda I've seen 2 fruit types: one with dry pith and kind of tear drop shaped, and one which is more globose and is very juicy yet have the same leaf petiole size (double leaf). Also sometimes the leaves may be stiff and pointing up to the sky, while other specimens show even a kind of weeping style, with leaves kind of hanging.

So how does ichang papeda in its natural range even manage to maintain prevalence?

Till

• Germany, Simmerath (City), Zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Ichang Papeda from seed?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 02:41:10 PM »
I would say it does not as its variebility indicates. But cross pollination is probably not that high in the wild because most citrus types cannot survive where C. ichangensis growth.

The stability of wild species is sometimes somewhat miraculous. We have in my area many wild cherry trees (Prunus avium) and also many cultivated cerry trees (also Prunus avium). They definitely hybridize with each other and you find many intermediate forms. Yet the wild form clearly dominates in forests. Why? Probably because the birds prefer it because its fruits are smaller and better to eat for them. And a second reason may be that the wild form does not vast its energy for big fruits so that it performs better in competition with other trees or in poor soil.

I do not know what it exactly is that give stability to wild C. ichangensis as a species. There may be some factors. But it seems also to be true that "stability" is relative. Therefore the variation within the species.

Zitrusgaertner

• Vienna, Austria, European Union 7b
    • View Profile
    • www.agrumi.at
Re: Ichang Papeda from seed?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 06:42:18 AM »
I would say it does not as its variebility indicates. But cross pollination is probably not that high in the wild because most citrus types cannot survive where C. ichangensis growth.

The stability of wild species is sometimes somewhat miraculous. We have in my area many wild cherry trees (Prunus avium) and also many cultivated cerry trees (also Prunus avium). They definitely hybridize with each other and you find many intermediate forms. Yet the wild form clearly dominates in forests. Why? Probably because the birds prefer it because its fruits are smaller and better to eat for them. And a second reason may be that the wild form does not vast its energy for big fruits so that it performs better in competition with other trees or in poor soil.

I do not know what it exactly is that give stability to wild C. ichangensis as a species. There may be some factors. But it seems also to be true that "stability" is relative. Therefore the variation within the species.

I think Ilya could shed some light on that.