Author Topic: Tropical Sources of ALA (Omega-3)  (Read 1413 times)

agroventuresperu

• Peru, San Martin, Rioja, Zone 12, 950m elevation
    • View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
Tropical Sources of ALA (Omega-3)
« on: September 03, 2022, 09:37:10 PM »
What are some good tropical plant sources of omega 3 fatty acids?
I assume Juglans neotropica, because it likely has the same nutritional profile as the temperate walnut species. I really don't know what else other than perhaps some annuals like tropical varieties of pumpkins.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
Re: Tropical Sources of ALA (Omega-3)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 02:22:30 AM »
sacha inchi

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 02:57:59 AM »
Beans, Hemp seeds, Chia, pumpkin seeds.
It is probably an unexplored area.

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 08:14:53 AM »
The problem with ALA is most human bodies do not convert it very well to its usable form:

More specifically, most studies in humans have shown that whereas a certain, though restricted, conversion of high doses of ALA to EPA occurs, conversion to DHA is severely restricted. The use of ALA labelled with radioisotopes suggested that with a background diet high in saturated fat conversion to long-chain metabolites is approximately 6% for EPA and 3.8% for DHA. With a diet rich in n-6 PUFA, conversion is reduced by 40 to 50%. It is thus reasonable to observe an n-6/n-3 PUFA ratio not exceeding 4-6

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9637947/

Eating ALA with saturated fat enhances the conversion to a usable form.  The problem is most diets are way too high in omega 6's (inflammatory), which reduces the conversion.  This comes from people using seed (vegetable) oils in food preparation.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 06:27:42 PM »
Chia is king. Walnut is also good.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 10:14:08 PM »
Dig a pond and raise tilapia.

agroventuresperu

• Peru, San Martin, Rioja, Zone 12, 950m elevation
    • View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2022, 08:02:45 PM »
sacha inchi

Yeah that's a definite winner.

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2022, 09:07:47 PM »
sacha inchi

Sacha inchi, never heard of this seed.  Sounds like a fantastic food option.  Any reviews on taste or preparation?  Sounds tropical so probably not easy to acquire in US markets, amiright?

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2022, 09:12:18 PM »
sacha inchi

Sacha inchi, never heard of this seed.  Sounds like a fantastic food option.  Any reviews on taste or preparation?  Sounds tropical so probably not easy to acquire in US markets, amiright?

kinda like a chalky peanut butter type profile. I'm pretty sure it has to be roasted. You can buy roasted nuts or powder online and amazon. I throw some powder in my smoothies all the time.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2022, 10:29:18 PM »
Walnuts are not tropical. Pecans are subtropical with similar nutrition as walnuts.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2022, 10:56:24 PM »
purslane.  I have some that just randomly started growing in my garden, it grows year-round through the summer.  There are improved purslane varieties that you can order from seed companies.  I just go and eat a few leaves when I'm outside, it isn't something you want to eat a ton of at once

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2022, 11:43:57 PM »
sacha inchi

kinda like a chalky peanut butter type profile. I'm pretty sure it has to be roasted. You can buy roasted nuts or powder online and amazon. I throw some powder in my smoothies all the time.

Thanks for that info.  I’m going to check them out further.  Much appreciated. 

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2022, 12:04:28 PM »
Walnuts are not tropical. Pecans are subtropical with similar nutrition as walnuts.

Juglans neotropica is a species of tropical walnut FYI

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2022, 06:39:45 PM »
purslane.  I have some that just randomly started growing in my garden, it grows year-round through the summer.  There are improved purslane varieties that you can order from seed companies.  I just go and eat a few leaves when I'm outside, it isn't something you want to eat a ton of at once

Good point. It’s the richest non-seed plant source around. And grows like mad, sidewalks everywhere. I love it alone or in salads.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2022, 02:47:46 AM »
Evening Primrose oil (Oenothera biennis) is a vegetable source of Omega -3 and -6 Fatty Acids.

Useful for those not wanting to source Omegas from fishoils.

OK — HTH

Paul M
==

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2022, 06:45:43 AM »
Purslane, there is a larger leaved type in some inland areas of Australia.

Taken from the Royal Botanic Gardens website; The tiny black seeds are one of the most important bush foods of inland Australia, containing up to 20 per cent protein and 16 per cent fat. Joseph Maiden (1889) reported that Aboriginal people ‘€˜pulled up the plants, throwing them in heaps, which after a few days they turn over and an abundant supply of seed is found to have fallen out’€™. The seed is processed by grinding it on a flat rock with a hand-held stone. The resulting flour is made into a damper. Low (1989) comments that the oil from the seeds stains the grinding stones. The leaves and stems are also edible. They can be pounded into a mush and eaten raw, cooked as a vegetable or added to salads.

Generally purslane is known to have abundant omega-3 oils in the leaves. It also contains vitamins A, B and C as well as calcium, magnesium, iron and potassium.

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2022, 11:23:39 AM »
Acai fruit, yes it is tropical.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2022, 01:26:28 PM »
Evening Primrose oil (Oenothera biennis) is a vegetable source of Omega -3 and -6 Fatty Acids.

Useful for those not wanting to source Omegas from fishoils.

OK — HTH

Paul M
==

Incidentally, fish get their long chain omegas mostly from algae. You can get algal dha supplements now. Algal oils are superior to fish oil since they are usually produced in closed loop systems so they don't have ocean contaminants. It can also be produced on land that isn't usable for growing anything else.