Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

woodchips for heat

(1/2) > >>

Unicyclemike:
Has anyone used the heat from a pile of woodchips to keep their citrus warm in the winter?

Unicycle Mike

Plantinyum:
I think you would be better with a compost pile, like a pile of organic matter that is not actual wood based. Wood and bark in my experience brake down a lot slower than say leaves  and other greens. If you could get a halfway aged manure from somewhere and make a pile of it,  this would provide the most heat. Ive seen manure piles literally steaming in subzero days , ive also heard that they sometimes produce such temps that they self ignite, dunno if its true thought, i see it as a possibility in a hot summer day perhaps ...

Walt:
I have also heard of having compost piles in greenhouses for the added CO2.

poncirsguy:
My gas water heater vents into my greenhouse for heat and CO2.

Vegan Potato Man:

--- Quote from: Plantinyum on October 04, 2022, 01:19:19 AM ---I think you would be better with a compost pile, like a pile of organic matter that is not actual wood based. Wood and bark in my experience brake down a lot slower than say leaves  and other greens. If you could get a halfway aged manure from somewhere and make a pile of it,  this would provide the most heat. Ive seen manure piles literally steaming in subzero days , ive also heard that they sometimes produce such temps that they self ignite, dunno if its true thought, i see it as a possibility in a hot summer day perhaps ...

--- End quote ---

Compost piles definitely have the ability to self combust in the right conditions. A wood chip compost pile would likely be able to get to high temperatures assuming there is a nitrogen source of some sort. Wood chips should break down fast enough especially in a hot pile.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version