Author Topic: Tree mounds making progress  (Read 399 times)

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Tree mounds making progress
« on: June 03, 2023, 04:52:19 AM »
Here's the latest pics of my project here in Thailand.  I believe I shared pics earlier of the large pits we had dug out, amended the soil for last six months, then filled back in.  Now we are building the mounds.  The project is going much smoother now that we have the soil issue resolved.  The pulasan mound, out by the canal, is approx 43' x 8' and has a height of around 15" in front and close to 24" in back.  The plan was to have this a little higher, but I'm well passed the f%$# it stage.  This is complete, seeded and covered with straw.  Inside the yard are the durian mounds.  The circles are 10' across and was supposed to have a final height of around 36".  That height will probably not be reached either.  I have another 150 bags coming soon to finish these off.  With all of the un-composted manure included, installing the trees will have to wait for another 3-4 months...which is fine by me.  I'll probably need that time to recover.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Re: Tree mounds making progress
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 08:21:43 AM »
Awesome!  My back aches just looking at it!  The pulasan mound is sure close to the water.  Is the canal flood regulated in some way?
In spite of all the work though, I bet it is great to get to do all this outdoors, instead of in the greenhouse. 
Of course, you have to deal with the weather, but so many more tree options available!!

And by the way, I still wear my Tropical fruit Hunter shirt every time I speak to the Horticulture club at the local community college.

Carolyn

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 08:33:34 AM »
That's awesome Carolyn!  Glad you enjoy the shirt.  Yeah...canal is not an issue.  If we were to get a flood like back in 2011, then it wouldn't make a difference anyway.  I thought working in the greenhouse was bad.  The heat during the day can be brutal.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 11:08:53 AM »
Looking good! I would add pineapples, peppers, and herbs around the slopes of the mounds. You are likely to get weed growth anyway, and will take a while for trees to root all that soil, so might as well add some companions.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2023, 08:49:15 PM »
Is this final mound height?
Will you be adding to the mound yearly?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk