Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Owari Satsuma

(1/2) > >>

Unicyclemike:
An Owari Satsuma growing in the ground in zone 8a......when does it usually start bearing new leaves in the spring and when can i roughly expect to pick the fruit in the fall to eat?  Thank you.

Mike Adams

johngonole:
So my Satsuma which is two or three years old now (planted last spring) sustained a bunch of freeze damage.   I'm in North Florida and we had 4 or 5 days of subfreezing temperatures without even a break during the day.   We also had several nights where it touched 20 degrees.   We lost all the leaves and smaller branches got fried.

That said, my tree has new green shoots and leaves forming on both of them now.   I'm impressed that they made it through a deep freeze like that at all given they were small trees.   My Myer Lemon was not so lucky.   And I promise you all other citrus in this area has to be dead.   

But you should be seeing some growth now I would expect.   

You will have ripen fruit around beginning of December late November.  Hopefully by then you will get a cold snap.   The first year year after we planted we got fruit but it wasn't very good.   Last year we had only two fruit but they were actually really good.   Not sure if it was the extra year the trees had with a much smaller load or if it was the fact that I didn't water them.   Once the tree is established don't worry about lack of water in the winter that is natural and will help the fruit to sweeten.  You also hope to get a good frost or two before picking cause that also helps them sweeten.   

Sadly there isn't any way I'll be getting fruit this year.   The freeze took off about a years worth of growth and also the trees are putting all their energy into new growth and I don't see any blooms this year.   So will have to wait another 21 months before I get to taste them again. 

Unicyclemike:
Thank you for your insight...Did you protect them at all over that cold snap?

Mike A

hardyvermont:

--- Quote from: Unicyclemike on February 26, 2023, 06:45:58 AM ---An Owari Satsuma growing in the ground in zone 8a......when does it usually start bearing new leaves in the spring and when can i roughly expect to pick the fruit in the fall to eat?  Thank you.

Mike Adams

--- End quote ---
Owari are starting to bloom now.  They can be eaten with a green skin in October, ripe from early November until around Christmas. They are best around Thanksgiving.  It needs to be protected in zone 8a.  A few later blossoms can extend the season

Kevin Jones:
My Owaris are blooming now...
Fruit should be pickable from November thru February.
Kevin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version