Author Topic: Wanted: Desert lime (Citrus glauca) seeds  (Read 4615 times)

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
Wanted: Desert lime (Citrus glauca) seeds
« on: November 09, 2021, 10:01:55 AM »
Does anyone have a source for these in the USA?

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Desert lime (Citrus glauca) seeds
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 07:57:02 AM »
I’ve been searching for years, haven’t found one yet.

This seems to be the only place I can find them, but from Australia so take it as you will. I haven’t purchased from here before so I cannot say anything about them.

https://herbalistics.com.au/product/citrus-glauca-desert-lime-seed/

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 02:22:42 PM »
I guess the CCPP would be our only choice
https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/eremocitrus.html

However Australia being free of HLB I think it would be possible to import from there:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/plant_imports/federal_order/downloads/2016/2016-31.pdf

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/plant_imports/federal_order/downloads/hlb_cvc.pdf

"Non-restricted countries may import Rutaceae seeds with an import permit, phytosanitary certification from the country of
origin, and a declaration that the country of origin is free of HLB and CVC. " I've been meaning to make a post asking about this as ive never imported seed and citrus/rutaceae have so many regulations

Here is a seller who offers various finger lime cultivar seeds that interest me too:
https://www.forever-seeds.com/contact-us.html

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2021, 06:54:15 AM »
CCPP has these? I’m about to order if they do. I didn’t even check with them assuming it’s not in the states. I attempted to go through the order process, but it comes to about $50 USD after tracking (and permits I guess) to ship out 20 seeds. Who knows if they’re viable? I don’t think I could take a chance at that price.

PDXIan

• USA, Portland, Oregon, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 06:36:43 PM »
Where did you find that they will ship seeds?

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 08:52:19 PM »
Where did you find that they will ship seeds?
To which thing are you referring to?

if youre talking about "forever seeds" its on their seed page (also these are colorful fingerlime cultivars not desert lime iirc)
i should add I feel naturally hesitant about nursery sites that rely entirely on stock images but thats not an automatic disqualifier (and australian nursery sites seem to be bigger on this than many american ones)

annnd I found a negative reivew on their FB :( https://www.facebook.com/pg/ForeverSeeds/posts/?ref=page_internal
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 08:59:56 PM by Pandan »

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 09:02:26 PM »
Who knows if they’re viable? I don’t think I could take a chance at that price.
Exactly, that's a major concern of mine! I'm also having a hard time finding reviews / vouches.

I think the CCPP does have scions available.

SeeSchloss

• Antwerp, Belgium
    • View Profile
    • seos.fr
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2022, 07:10:12 AM »
An old topic but I was looking for the same thing a while ago and didn't find much info apart from this topic.

So apart from Herbalistics I found another website selling Citrus glauca seeds: https://www.boutique-vegetale.com/p/citrus-glauca-desert-lime

It's French (which is perfect for me since I'm in Belgium), a bit pricey for just 5 seeds, and the "20210331" written on the packet I received made me fear I was sent old seeds that wouldn't germinate, but against all expectations all of them germinated.

Now I'm hoping they are indeed Citrus glauca, but at least that's a start.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2022, 09:55:35 PM »
20210331" written on the packet I received made me fear I was sent old seeds that wouldn't germinate, but against all expectations all of them germinated.

How were they sent to you ? The damp method for perishable / short viable seed or the dry method for non perishable ?
Always wondered how some sellers handle Citrus seed especially out of season ?

SeeSchloss

• Antwerp, Belgium
    • View Profile
    • seos.fr
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2022, 03:32:12 AM »
They were just sent in the small plastic ziploc you can see on the photo, in a padded envelope sent by regular mail.
Since it came from France it just took two days so the packaging wouldn't really matter, I don't know how they store them on their side, or how long, and I think that's what would matter most. Or where they get them from.

In my experience when citrus seeds are stored dry, at first it only makes them longer to germinate but doesn't really affect germination rate until at least a few weeks or maybe a couple of months. And maybe Citrus glauca seeds are also better at withstanding this, since they are a desert plant.

I received them on 14 September so they took between two and three weeks to germinate.

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2022, 01:36:47 PM »
Congratts Schloss and I was thinking the same thing about them being desert plants helping germination

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2022, 05:12:57 PM »
In my experience when citrus seeds are stored dry, at first it only makes them longer to germinate but doesn't really affect germination rate until at least a few weeks or maybe a couple of months. And maybe Citrus glauca seeds are also better at withstanding this, since they are a desert plant.

As you say normal Citrus seed can survive some drying.
That is after extraction from the fruit.
Normally most Citrus fruit fall to the ground and either dry or rot, or a combo of both. That protects the seed for some time from actual drying.
The C. glauca Desert Lime may seed may be tougher than other Citrus seed, but it may also be protected inside the tiny fallen fruit for some time.
Another possibility is the fruit gets dispersed with animal dung ( Emu ?? ) and protected from fully drying out until rain happens.
There is a wide variety of Rainforest related tree species in the now drier areas where the glauca grows. Many are also fruiting plants, possibly linked to the extinct megafauna animal species known from fossils.
It is also interesting to note that C. glauca is well known to grow from stands of suckers, more than new seedlings.

SeeSchloss

• Antwerp, Belgium
    • View Profile
    • seos.fr
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2022, 05:49:21 AM »
Well, the seeds I received are turning out to be "just" C. australasica seeds. I contacted them and they're "looking into it" or something like that. I can't really blame them as they certainly don't cultivate it themselves and the problem likely comes from wherever they're getting them, but we'll see what they tell me.

(a bit blurry I know).

I did order from Herbalistics in Australia as well, even though it was quite expensive including customs fees, etc, and these are real C. glauca, and seem to have a good germination rate as well:

LittleCitrusLover

• Bay Area - East Bay 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2022, 11:01:42 AM »
I guess the CCPP would be our only choice
https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/eremocitrus.html

However Australia being free of HLB I think it would be possible to import from there:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/plant_imports/federal_order/downloads/2016/2016-31.pdf

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/plant_imports/federal_order/downloads/hlb_cvc.pdf

"Non-restricted countries may import Rutaceae seeds with an import permit, phytosanitary certification from the country of
origin, and a declaration that the country of origin is free of HLB and CVC. " I've been meaning to make a post asking about this as ive never imported seed and citrus/rutaceae have so many regulations

Here is a seller who offers various finger lime cultivar seeds that interest me too:
https://www.forever-seeds.com/contact-us.html

CCPP doesn't provide desert lime. Finger lime var sanguinea is the only Australian lime they have.

SeeSchloss

• Antwerp, Belgium
    • View Profile
    • seos.fr
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2022, 05:28:16 AM »
Well, the seeds I received are turning out to be "just" C. australasica seeds. I contacted them and they're "looking into it" or something like that. I can't really blame them as they certainly don't cultivate it themselves and the problem likely comes from wherever they're getting them, but we'll see what they tell me.

So basically, don't order from boutique-vegetale.com because they're claiming that it's "not obvious" and "too early" to tell that the plants are C. australasica and not C. glauca.

Quote from: boutique-vegetale.com
A ce stade de développement, il nous parait difficile de confirmer ou non l'identification de ces espèces.

Nous vous prions alors de patienter quelques mois afin de permettre aux plantes d'exprimer leurs caractéristiques botaniques et de revenir vers nous avec des photos plus évoluées.

Left, what grew from their seeds and right, a real C. glauca seedling. The difference is absolutely obvious and if they keep saying it isn't I will ask my bank to revert the payment.

Herbalistics.com.au on the other hand was expensive but sent me what I ordered.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2022, 02:32:12 PM »
So basically, don't order from boutique-vegetale.com because they're claiming that it's "not obvious" and "too early" to tell that the plants are C. australasica and not C. glauca.
I contacted them and they're "looking into it" or something like that.

Those seedlings you grew are clearly not C. glauca. I would say also that they clearly are of C.australasica parentage.
Just wondering if those leaves seem a little long and the thorns a little long too to not be a hybrid ?
Hard to tell, I do have some Fingerlimes with longer leaves that look like that, but I haven't grown those seedlings recently.

SeeSchloss

• Antwerp, Belgium
    • View Profile
    • seos.fr
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2022, 04:43:21 AM »
Just wondering if those leaves seem a little long and the thorns a little long too to not be a hybrid ?

I thought about it too, but all five seeds seem to give exactly the same kind of plant which I find unlikely.

In addition, as far as I know most C. glauca hybrids ressemble C. glauca very much (especially the elongated leaves) while these really look just like C. australasica."

They eventually told me that "since I'm still doubtful", they will send me some (for free, or a reduced price maybe? it's unclear) seeds of the next harvest, which I suppose means they have a tree themselves, which might give hybrids, but I'm not sure as they didn't answer this question. I also tried to ask for photos of this tree in case it might give a hint, but no answer either.

matthedlund

• Wanderlust Nursery
    • USA, Washington, Seattle, Zone 8b
    • View Profile
    • Wanderlust Nursery
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2022, 10:07:01 PM »
I can't help with the pure species, but I do have some hybrid plants. I have the hybrid with Meyer Lemon sometimes called 'Razzlequat' as well as another hybrid involving a sour mandarin. I can only offer cuttings, not seeds.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 10:09:26 PM by matthedlund »

RJami

• united states
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2022, 06:20:30 AM »
Has CCPP got these? If so, I'm about to place my order. Since I assumed it wasn't in the United States, I didn't even ask them. I tried to place an order, but after tracking (and, I assume, permissions), it costs roughly $50 USD to send out 20 seeds. Who knows if they will survive? At that price, I don't think I could risk it.

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2022, 03:39:47 PM »
Has CCPP got these? If so, I'm about to place my order. Since I assumed it wasn't in the United States, I didn't even ask them. I tried to place an order, but after tracking (and, I assume, permissions), it costs roughly $50 USD to send out 20 seeds Who knows if they will survive? At that price, I don't think I could risk it.

Seeds or cuttings from who?

The desert lime appears to be unaccessioned in the CCPP which case youd have to request theyll have to reintroduce it again to buy cutttings and that takes literal years lmao.

also there is a link inserted in a period in your post about golf lazers  :P

gordonh1

• Western Washington, zone 7b/8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2023, 10:21:24 PM »
Herbalistics.com.au says on their site that they "no longer ship internationally". I'm also looking for desert lime. Are there any U.S. sources?

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2023, 08:44:16 PM »
Has CCPP got these? If so, I'm about to place my order. Since I assumed it wasn't in the United States, I didn't even ask them. I tried to place an order, but after tracking (and, I assume, permissions), it costs roughly $50 USD to send out 20 seeds Who knows if they will survive? At that price, I don't think I could risk it.

Seeds or cuttings from who?

The desert lime appears to be unaccessioned in the CCPP which case youd have to request theyll have to reintroduce it again to buy cutttings and that takes literal years lmao.

also there is a link inserted in a period in your post about golf lazers  :P

I heard rumors that our main man Hershell at Madison Citrus is working on desertlime reintroduction and likely will have the variety in the coming year available. I know he’s working on a wicked amount of interesting trees right now.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2023, 01:56:11 AM »
Hershell has basically destroyed the citrus mail-order economy, but in a good way.  He has so many awesome varieties for good prices there is no point in going elsewhere.  I will be happy to ditch my lesser trees knowing I can always get another one if I really want to, when that wasn't always the case.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 11:11:00 AM by brian »

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2023, 11:56:18 AM »
Desert lime has high resistance to hlb and a lot of other things. I want the meyer lemon x desert lime cross. It seems to have the disease resistance of the desert lime for the most part but good tasting lemon like fruit and grows true to seed. It is used as root stock.

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2023, 04:49:24 PM »
Desert lime has high resistance to hlb and a lot of other things. I want the meyer lemon x desert lime cross. It seems to have the disease resistance of the desert lime for the most part but good tasting lemon like fruit and grows true to seed. It is used as root stock.

Where is this found?