Author Topic: What kind of avocado?  (Read 1071 times)

spike

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
What kind of avocado?
« on: September 23, 2022, 10:52:01 PM »
Hello, I have lurked here for a bit. There's an avocado near me which produces quite interesting looking fruit. The owner said they didn't plant it, and it doesn't look to be grafted. I can't tell if it is a mexicola or seed grown avocado, but the fruit is very good. It also comes of the tree with some kind of waxy bloom on it which I don't see on most avocados. Anyone knows some more on this? Thanks! :D

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of avocado?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 11:57:50 PM »
Hello it doesnt look like mexicola but it is hard to tell from the photo, its not high resolution enough to tell for sure.  Mexicola is very small and smooth shiny black skin. 

If you zoom on the fruit and then cut it open and post a pic of the inside it would help.
Brad Spaugh

spike

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 04:17:47 PM »
Sorry for the late reply, here it is cut open.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 07:17:42 PM »
Hard to tell, it doesnt look very ripe though.  Is it watery?  Either the color in the photo is washed out or the fruit is not ripe.  It kind of looks like a small bacon avocado.  Bacons have the pale flesh.  I just cant really tell from the pics.  If you zoom more on the outside and inside maybe.  But hard to say. 

Theres really not ripe avocados this time of year either other than mexicolas but it doesnt look like that from the pics, but hard to tell also from those photos.

Sorry, I know its not very helpful.

Try waiting until later in winter to pick them.  If it is a bacon, it needs like 6 more months on the tree to get larger and ripen up.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 07:20:16 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

spike

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 09:00:26 PM »
I agree, it could have had longer to ripen and it was also an early drop. It tasted fine but not the best it can get. I'll probably show a better example once more ripen. Thanks anyways!

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 10:23:19 AM »
Agree with spaugh looks like Bacon. Crush and smell the leaves to see it you detect anise like aroma.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

spike

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2022, 11:59:26 PM »
Hello, a little update as I got a well ripened fruit. The flesh is still pale but the taste is better than the last one. It is very savory, almost salty. Great for guacamole. But by now I think it is likely a seedling, just a pretty good one. Knowing the type would still be good, is it a mexican type?

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2022, 12:48:33 PM »
Diffently a mexican type avocado could be a seedling of Bacon but most likely unknown.
http://ucavo.ucr.edu/avocadovarieties/varietyframe.html
You can check out this site too!

spike

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2022, 09:25:35 PM »
Diffently a mexican type avocado could be a seedling of Bacon but most likely unknown.
http://ucavo.ucr.edu/avocadovarieties/varietyframe.html
You can check out this site too!
thanks, I'll take a look there

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2022, 04:29:25 PM »
Hey Spike, here is another link with many avocado's listed except no pictures, enjoy;
http://www.avocadosource.com/AvocadoVarieties/QueryDB.asp

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2022, 11:58:23 PM »
But by now I think it is likely a seedling, just a pretty good one. Knowing the type would still be good, is it a mexican type?

Definitely looks like a Mexican type, crushing and smelling the leaves (anise scent) will pretty much confirm that. If so, I'd be interested in purchasing seeds or scionwood if that's something you'd consider! I'm working on putting together a collection of Mexican avocados in my greenhouse to breed for cold hardiness, and always on the lookout for new varieties.