Author Topic: Growing Mango trees in Southern California  (Read 180048 times)

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Mango trees in Southern California
« Reply #775 on: September 12, 2022, 09:16:33 PM »
When I dig up the large seedling I did not get the taproot and in fact only dug a pretty small rootball. It does not seem to have slowed the tree down any as it may be my most vigorous tree.

And yes my Valencia pride was a 25 gallon tree I bought from Florida before I knew any better and it had a few rough years. It has been starting to bounce back these past few years, but will never become the large tree I hoped it would

UplanderCA

• USA,SoCal, Upland, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: September 13, 2022, 07:11:30 PM »

So the SoCal heatwave out here kept temps above 100 for two whole weeks. I gave one extra run of irrigation during that time and then I’ve been catching my greywater in a bucket and giving extra water. Now with the warm humid rain I am getting some nice flushes. The heat and sun also made my oldest Valencia Pride mangos on the tree develop some great colors.

I don’t want these to split on the tree, but I want them to be their best. I have been told to pick them once their shoulders fill out and then ripen off tree. I want to make sure I am interpreting that correctly, in the shown photo there is a distinct angle on the top mango. I am interpreting letting the shoulder fill out by that area swelling and rounding out so it is a smooth full curve instead of a flat angle.

Is this the correct way?

Anybody harvesting already?

Hey Victoria Ave,
I've been harvesting the last two weeks: NDM and Valencia pride from this weekend.

Waiting for Sweet Tart

and my first Seacrest / Triple Sec

For me, this years harvest is much smaller than last year.  My Maha crop is skimpy this year - maybe 4 nice size fruit.  Hoping that the opossums and fox squirrels stay away from the remaining mangos.   

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: September 16, 2022, 07:03:01 PM »
Sorry to hear about the skimpy crop, but hopefully those trees put on some good growth to get ready for the next year!

Woke up this morning to find my only colorful VP on the ground. I thought this was coming because I could feel the nose getting soft (probably should have picked it before it fell) it has real firm flesh it the nose is quite soft. It was a trip to feel as the skin changed color it also got so smooth! The smell from the outside is incredible and I think I will eat it tonight. The others on the tree are bigger than this, still green and rough skinned so I think just a random early ripening one

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: September 30, 2022, 03:56:03 AM »
Hi all,
I am new to growing tropical trees... Trying to setup and grow 2 or 3 dwarf Mango varieties. Any good place to buy around SoCal? also looking for suggestions on  Carrie, Mallika and Keitt? (early, mid and late season)  Tasted Keitt and Mallika and liked it.
Any thoughts on Dwarf Hawaiian, Nam Doc Mai and Angie?
Thanks for the Help

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: October 01, 2022, 12:47:13 PM »
Took home this big Keitt mango at Seafood City Irvine last night.
The box's label shows this comes from Sinaloa, Mexico. So, they got hot water
treatment or where they "radiated"?
Hope the seeds are still viable, that I will have 4 seedlings coming...
Just an fyi.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 12:54:55 PM by Samu »
Sam

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: October 01, 2022, 07:00:48 PM »
Neither, Sinaloa is free of Med Fruit fly I believe it's granted a special exception to the treatment rules.

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: October 02, 2022, 01:29:33 AM »
Hi all,
I am new to growing tropical trees... Trying to setup and grow 2 or 3 dwarf Mango varieties. Any good place to buy around SoCal? also looking for suggestions on  Carrie, Mallika and Keitt? (early, mid and late season)  Tasted Keitt and Mallika and liked it.
Thanks for the Help
Bought Keitt Mango and when I opened  husk already seed was sprouting, looks like there are 2 shoots… So, is this polyembryonic cross pollination? any advise? is this be useful to grow? may be just for fun?

« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 01:37:15 AM by love_Tropic »

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #782 on: October 02, 2022, 01:36:25 AM »
Neither, Sinaloa is free of Med Fruit fly I believe it's granted a special exception to the treatment rules.

Good to know that Oolie, thanks for sharing!
Sam

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: October 02, 2022, 09:41:02 PM »
Hi all,
Thanks for the Help
Bought Keitt Mango and when I opened  husk already seed was sprouting, looks like there are 2 shoots… So, is this polyembryonic cross pollination? any advise? is this be useful to grow? may be just for fun?

Though the parent of Keitt is Poly, Keitt is mono.
They are two sprouts from the same embryo.

Many newer selections are seedlings of Keitt, including M4 which receives high praise. If it turns out to be a dud, you can always graft it.

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: October 02, 2022, 10:34:40 PM »
Hi all,
Thanks for the Help

Many newer selections are seedlings of Keitt, including M4 which receives high praise. If it turns out to be a dud, you can always graft it.

really appreciate your advice! will post more pics. really Excited   8) :)

Amy K

• FL zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: October 03, 2022, 01:58:51 PM »
Hi all,
Thanks for the Help

Keitt mango i ate had already germinated inside the pod similar to this too. I planted it right the way and forgot to take picture. The flesh was so good too. Sweet, juicy, with little coconut taste toward the skin. It was delicious 🤤

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: October 04, 2022, 04:17:14 PM »
I went to look at the mango trees that Simon and I planted the last few years.  They are starting to grow well now.  Ive been busy with other things and have not done anything for them for over 2 years now.  Just automatic sprinklers.  I did cut the panicles off most of them this winter to let them grow more before fruiting but missed a few. 

Brad Spaugh

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: October 04, 2022, 08:36:56 PM »
Looking great! What size were they when they went in?

Just gotta give mine more time!

MasonG31

• Southern California Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: October 04, 2022, 09:46:39 PM »
I went to look at the mango trees that Simon and I planted the last few years.  They are starting to grow well now.  Ive been busy with other things and have not done anything for them for over 2 years now.  Just automatic sprinklers.  I did cut the panicles off most of them this winter to let them grow more before fruiting but missed a few. 

Beautiful fruit. Congrats.  Are they seedling trees?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: October 04, 2022, 10:06:30 PM »
Hello Mason yes seeds that Simon sourced over the course of several years.  They are not all planted at the same time.  I think we planted seedlings in 2018-2021.
Brad Spaugh

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #790 on: October 04, 2022, 10:23:20 PM »
It’s good to see those beautiful/healthy mango trees and fruits that were
grown here in SoCal, give me some hope to expect better result to just a few of mine.
Thanks for sharing those photos, Brad!
Sam

love_Tropic

• Tustin,CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: October 05, 2022, 02:14:15 AM »
Hi all,
Thanks for the Help

really appreciate your advice! will post more pics. really Excited   8) :)
Interesting to know M4, a polyembryonic from Keitt. Is that true Poly can bear fruits earlier than mono? If so how early?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 10:27:51 PM by love_Tropic »

MasonG31

• Southern California Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: October 06, 2022, 06:28:48 PM »
Hello Mason yes seeds that Simon sourced over the course of several years.  They are not all planted at the same time.  I think we planted seedlings in 2018-2021.

Awesome. Please let us know how the fruit taste.

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 07, 2022, 02:47:02 PM »
Nice looking grove Brad.  They look like they are just about the right size to start holding a lot of fruit if you let them.  Next year could be a bumper crop.

Just curious, do you have problems with algae build up in your sun exposed PVC lines?  It's a real issue for me with well water, resulting in clogged drip heads.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 07, 2022, 03:04:30 PM »
Dang Brad those really took off since I last saw them. Congratulations on the success and looking forward to a review soon

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #795 on: October 07, 2022, 03:27:24 PM »
Hey Jason, you should not have algae unless the water is sitting there all the time.  In the case of a sprinkler that goes on and off once or twice a week, it should dry between uses.  It sounds like your auto valves are leaking slowly and always have a drip at the sprinkler heads maybe? 

I don't ever see algae but I do get clogged emitters all the time.  It's an ongoing battle.  What happens on mine is the end emitters or whichever ones are at the lowest point in that stretch of line are the ones that drain out and have residual water sitting there longer than the others and then they get dirt and hard water deposit calcium buildup and clog. 

I had an epiphany recently how to fix the problem but it's too late to implement since my system is already installed and trees laid out.  The way to fix the problem is have the main feed line going from high point down the hill.  And have the smaller side lines come off not horizontal but going slightly uphill away from the main feed line.  Then put a vacuum break or a electric valve at the bottom of the main feed line.  Then when the cycle is over all the side feeder lines drain back towards the main feeder and go downhill and out the bottom of the big pipe at the bottom of the hill.  All the water and crud get dumped each run.
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 07, 2022, 03:48:36 PM »
Jason, After rereading your question about algae, I see you are asking about inside the PVC not on the emitters.  I have not really had that problem.  Your line really should not have water sitting in it unless there's a U shape spot somewhere that can't drain out.  Even then Im surprised sunlight is really penetrating schedule 40 pvc.  Most of the water should come out of the emitters when the cycle ends.  I have ditched most of the pvc side feeders and gone with half inch poly and only have pvc main feed lines now that go straight downhill. 

There's still some small pvc side feeders in the pics but they are not in use anymore. 

I ditched them just to make it easier to stick stakes in and use different tips on black poly.  Wasn't because of algae. 

Again though, the solution is to get a good drain out of the system each cycle so water and dirt and calcium are not sitting there growing algae or making stalagmites.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 03:51:30 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: October 08, 2022, 12:33:24 PM »
My mango trees are about 13 years old growing in a cool coastal climate.  Summer highs are usually in the 70’s with just a few weeks in the 80’s and warmest days typically in the fall.

Glenn on turpentine

Nam Doc Mai on turpentine

Fruit Punch year and half old graft

Lemon zest grafted year and a half ago, I don’t remember it blooming

I grafted Sweet Tart as well and that didn’t bloom this year either.

Janet

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 09, 2022, 12:45:20 AM »
My mango trees are about 13 years old growing in a cool coastal climate.

Really nice, Janet. Any better growers for the coastal side? Going to set my friend up with a seedling and a 15 gallon tree. Not sure which variety I'll graft onto the larger tree. I have most of those varieties as seedlings, along with a few others. Sweet tart had a great second bloom this year but I only let a few fruit hang this year because I had braches break from the weight (lesson learned).

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: October 09, 2022, 10:35:22 AM »
Hi John,

I don't have the experience with all the different varieties to make a good recommendation.  I didn't even know about all the new Zill mangoes until a couple years ago when I saw a Jace Mace and Shaymus video talking about them.  I found this forum when I was trying to find more information.

I selected Glenn and Nam Doc Mai originally from the information on the Pine Island Nursery website.  Because of my cool climate, I chose Glenn because they stated it was the best early season and Nam Doc Mai because it could be eaten at the green stage. 

I find it interesting that the experience of most in SoCal has been negative with Florida grafted trees and that the most recommended is Manilla for rootstock.  When I first planted my trees, I also planted several Champagne and Keitt seeds because those fruits were available locally.  The Champagne/ Ataulfo seedlings are not vigorous at all for me, maybe they need more heat.  I have one Keitt seedling that is about 13 years old but it is still pretty small and gets powdery mildew consistently despite being in a sunnier location.  I'm guessing Keitt needs more heat as well since they're growing it commercially in the desert.  I've grafted it so we'll see how it does.

My home garden soil is alkaline, heavy clay.  I have some thoughts about why my Florida trees have done okay for me, but maybe that's too much to get into now.

Janet