Author Topic: Grow bags  (Read 1852 times)

goosematoose

• BELTSVILLE
    • View Profile
Grow bags
« on: July 31, 2020, 10:32:11 PM »
I live in a zone 7 climate, with some snow fall during the winter. I was thinking of growing several tropical fruit plants indoors (i.e. banana, citrus, etc.). I wanted to know if I could grow them in grow bags as a long term solution versus a conventional planter. Please advise. thank you.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Re: Grow bags
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 02:06:46 AM »
I used some grow bags before, because I read that I don't need to trim the root with grow bags.
The pro, of course no root trimming needed, and it is lighter than regular container.
The con, the soil gets dry really quick. With conventional container, I only need to water twice a week. But with the grow bag my plants wilt if I don't water everyday during the summer.
Of course I live in So-Cali with very low humidity and dry intense heat.
It might work better if you have high humidity and no triple digit summer heat.

nana7b

• North Texas, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 06:22:26 AM »
In my experience grow bags work really well and plants perform better than in conventional plastic containers.

As mentioned they do dry out faster. For some of my really thirsty plants I place a large plastic saucer underneath the container where I can add extra water if needed.

Eventually you will need to take the plant out and prune some roots and top if wanting to keep it small. 

felicebehaviour

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 11:34:07 AM »
spammer
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 02:24:16 PM by JakeFruit »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2022, 05:05:53 PM »
I used to use grow bags, but never will again. They fall apart, the soil gets hydrophobic, watering needs are excessive (2-3x a day for well established plants).

What little growth improvement there is is best applied for tomatoes, peppers, or "annuals" - not permanent fixture plants.