Author Topic: Traveling to central Massachusetts - looking for an orchard  (Read 2403 times)

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Traveling to central Massachusetts - looking for an orchard
« on: October 09, 2012, 09:32:54 PM »
I know, I know- apples are not tropical and this post is therefore inappropriate, BUT I am visiting central MA this week and the number of apple orchards is overwhelming. I want to pick a good one with unusual varieties. Anyone have the inside scoop?

ReneeFLL

• USA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Traveling to central Massachusetts - looking for an orchard
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 11:11:40 PM »
I have no clue about the apple orchards, but I have friends that live in MA that I can contact. If no one else chimes in let me know if you want me to.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:14:08 PM by ReneeFLL »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 06:22:08 AM »
I know, I know- apples are not tropical and this post is therefore inappropriate, BUT I am visiting central MA this week and the number of apple orchards is overwhelming. I want to pick a good one with unusual varieties. Anyone have the inside scoop?
While I can't help you in MA I will add that while I was in high school in the 80s, I worked at my friends apple orchard in SE PA.  Wherever you go, look for an orchard that grows heirloom varieties...though any fresh picked apple will be better than that gassed store bought version, the heirloom varieties are where its at.  Also try some fresh, must be freshly done, pressed apple cider.
- Rob

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 11:24:21 AM »
If your thinking  of buying a tree to bring back to hollywold not a good ideal  anna, dorest and tropic sweet are your best bet for that far south.Iam in martin county fl and my trees look ok. as for not tropical tropic sweet was developed by the university of florida.
Mike

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 12:12:15 PM »
I am pretty zure Katie knows this...and in the outside chance zhe doesn't, i would not even waste my time with trying to grow apples in the Hollywood area.  Also, my post about heirloom varieties was meant for buying the fruit, not the tree.
- Rob

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 12:54:30 PM »
She is going to be in Ma for a week. wants to pick a good one I can eat more than one apple in a week sounds like she wants a tree.Now as for apples in hollywood yes its pushing the limits but you will get some fruit. Like the three ilama i bought from you I hope to get a few friut in the next five years
Mike

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 01:33:20 PM »
If you read what she wrote, she wants to pick  one with good varieties...so i do believe she meant she wants to pick "one" orchard that sells good varieties.  And by just the definition of orchard, i really believe she is looking for the fruit, not to purchase the tree.
- Rob

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 01:49:08 PM »
I just want to stuff my face while I'm traveling, I have no intention of bringing back any trees. :) Which is what makes it an inappropriate post- had I been planning on trying to grow apples in the subtropics, they would be tropical fruits. In theory only, however, because I am pretty sure they would never fruit for me.  :)