Author Topic: Thoughts on Chocanon Mango loner fruit  (Read 980 times)

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
Thoughts on Chocanon Mango loner fruit
« on: October 25, 2020, 02:34:05 PM »
Ok, I will update all on my flooding property separately at that post.  Question here though, what should I do about this loner mango?  The tree is a Chocanon that I planted last December and it produced about 5 fruit initially.  Several fell off before they were even the size of a plum.  One got to a decent size but split open when it was about 3/4 the size of the one pictured.  Another was getting to be like the one pictured a few weeks ago and the guy that mowed our property knocked it off the tree as he was riding by it.  Both of those never ripened up.  This last one has been on the tree about this size for well over a month but still feels hard.

My question is should I just leave it on the tree hoping it will ripen up or should I just give up on it ripening and pull it off?  To me it is so late in the year for anything good to happen.  Pics of both the tree and the Mango up close.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Chocanon Mango loner fruit
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 10:41:22 PM »
It will turn light yellow.
Har

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 04:24:26 PM »
A good taste mango, a bit of sourness with sugar.
They flower all the time and set fruit during the winter. Mine get fully yellow.

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 09:45:15 AM »
Well that lone mango fell off the tree last Thursday and, while looking ripe, it still felt hard so I asked my wife to put it in a brown paper bag.  Friday she said it seemed like it might be getting just a bit soft. And then Saturday afternoon I came in from the yard and she had cut it up and eaten about half of it.  She did save the other half for me.  Now we can't wait to the next time it produces fruit that one was so incredibly delicious! 

While I have read that the Chocanon Mango can produce fruit twice a year but I am not sure it will happen this far north, Lakeland, FL.  We are just hoping all nine of our Mango varieties have great production this next year!

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 10:07:16 AM »
Why grow grass in the rest of your property and not more fruit trees

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 04:36:25 PM »
This is my choc-anoc in a 4 gal container from last winter,  8 fruits in total. Good fruit it has a different aroma compared to other mangoes.

the tree is a little bit prone to diseases

https://www.facebook.com/1043190099036816/videos/2899643993391806 

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 05:16:02 PM »
Actually, Chocanon is quite resistant to many diseases, but the fruit's skin is susceptible to Mango Bacterial Black Spot.
Har