Author Topic: Summer flood caused peach trees to loose leaves, anything I can do  (Read 577 times)

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
The summer flooding rains caused my Florida Prince and Tropic Snow peach trees to loose their leaves.  While peach tree farms in the area are full of leaves mine have none.  The ground has pretty much dried out for over a month now.  I have tried to scrape a couple of branches on each and they are still green, so hopefully alive.  I did also put a nominal amount of fertilizer around the perimeter of the border and am lightly watering here in Central Florida every few days.

Any suggestions about bringing them back around?

Thanks

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Summer flood caused peach trees to loose leaves, anything I can do
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 05:47:16 PM »
I would just wait until next spring to see if they send out new growth. I don't know when peach trees loose their leaves in FL, but now is the time when mine loose their leaves.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 06:00:55 PM »
 Prolonged wet feet from flooding will kill a peach tree

The trees are suppose to lose their leaves in the Fall when the days shorten and
the temps drop. Although the temps haven't dropped yet, I have a Florida Glo and
it lost most of it's leaves now also. I also gave a tree to my neighbor and he fertlized late
and his tree has a new flush of leaves. I don't think you have to worry about the leaves
dropping. These trees need 150 chill hours depending on what variety and luckily They produce fruit
yearly without the chill hours. We barely ever get the hours and they are never consecutive hours and I
still get peaches. I would not fertlize now let the tree go dormant. I fertilize starting in February
depending on the weather and last year I got two seperate flushes of flowers and two nice
batches of small white fleshed peaches which are as good as any peach I have ever eaten.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 07:06:02 PM by achetadomestica »

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 07:05:38 PM »
The summer flooding rains caused my Florida Prince and Tropic Snow peach trees to loose their leaves.  While peach tree farms in the area are full of leaves mine have none.  The ground has pretty much dried out for over a month now.  I have tried to scrape a couple of branches on each and they are still green, so hopefully alive.  I did also put a nominal amount of fertilizer around the perimeter of the border and am lightly watering here in Central Florida every few days.

Any suggestions about bringing them back around?

Thanks

How often does it flood
Not that this answers your question, ( see the soil is dry now)
Long ago I read about zeolite the mineral that looks like cat liter (actually used for it)

it holds water , and releases slowly
If you have flooding maybe you could go out with a pick ax , and work it into soil around tree

this is just a thought ..

( read about it like 15 years ago on Garden web ,may be able to learn more abou it there)
It does reduce calcium I think in soil , but not completely certain
(but I know it does reduce one mineral pretty sure it is calcium)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk