Author Topic: Do dehydrated mango varieties maintain their specific flavor?  (Read 1809 times)

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
Do dehydrated mango varieties maintain their specific flavor?
« on: November 19, 2020, 06:57:42 AM »
I recognize that dehydration will alter the texture of mango fruit but has anyone here dehydrated specific varieties of mangos and do they hold consistent the actual taste/flavor of the variety itself?

While I am asking this from an informational standpoint if the mango varieties do hold their specific flavors, I believe a great business venture could be launched.  A grower of someone with access to significant quantities of the particular varieties could dehydrate, package with labels in small quantities the varieties and sell them as such.  That way, out of season, someone interested in growing mangos for their own personal consumption, could purchase 5, 10, 15 packets of the specific varieties they might be interested in growing to help in their decision process.  Not to mention those who just get cravings out of season for specific varieties.

Have the packets each hold a specific amount from a weight standpoint.  Offer quantity discounts and allow the customers to select the number of packages of each specific variety they want to sample.  Dehydrated mangos would be easy to ship and potentially available year round.  The business could also offer wholesale pricing to nurseries so they could give or sell samples to customers that are interested in tasting the specific varieties.  My view is that it could generate additional tree sales as potential customers could end up liking several varieties and purchasing multiple trees instead of one.

If I were not so old, I would try to do this myself.  All I ask is that if someone likes this idea and follows through with it, they let me know so I can purchase some samples, lol.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Do dehydrated mango varieties maintain their specific flavor?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 08:45:21 AM »
I probably shouldn't offer an opinion since I have no experience with dehydrating mangos, but having tasted other dehydrated fruit, my guess is that the flavors DO NOT hold up that well through the process.  Too many chemical changes.  Too much degradation.  Only guessing, though.
John

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 08:47:25 AM »
I think John is right about most fruit except I will say dehydrated jackfruit is still very good imo

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 09:01:42 AM »
No, when dehydrating, it will not retain the flavor of each variety when eaten fresh.  Dehydrating causes each variety to take on its own flavor profile.  Some varieties come out better than others when dehydrated.
- Rob

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 10:47:07 AM »
Dehydrating definitely changes the flavor of mangoes, and everything else I've dried. Still, can be really good.

For those interested, check out Excalibur dehydrators. Have been through many over the years, and none have compared to these.

Blueberry buffalo pomegranate chia with Haitian pikliz jerky was quite nice for breakfast this morning.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 11:03:37 AM »
I have a Tribest Sedona 9000 and while it is pricey, it is great.  Adjustable temps, and dual fans make it perfect for small batches or large batches.
- Rob

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 12:29:55 PM »
Wow, that is nice Rob!

Pretty similar to mine.

Fans and heat at the back, not in the bottom, like the old ones that always got fouled up and stopped working after a while.

Here is the Excalibur site.

https://excaliburdehydrator.com
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 12:31:30 PM by roblack »

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 09:14:21 PM »
I probably shouldn't offer an opinion since I have no experience with dehydrating mangos, but having tasted other dehydrated fruit, my guess is that the flavors DO NOT hold up that well through the process.  Too many chemical changes.  Too much degradation.  Only guessing, though.
[/quot
Agree. I have eaten few dozens of varieties of peeled and sliced dehydrated mangos of specific cultivars and they were sweet and tasty but lacked the taste of eating a fresh mango and the taste of a particular kind or cultivar. I have also eaten dozens of different types of sun dried pureed mango pulp which is stored in slabs as thick as 1CM.  Prune vs Plum! But of course the dried dehydrated fruits are obviously sweeter per gram of weight than the fresh fruit. Triphal

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 10:24:33 PM »
Referring to dehydrating fruits.  Bananas can be pretty good.
Very soft flesh Jakfruit and champedek do super well as dried fruits.
Peter

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 10:27:24 PM »
Referring to dehydrating fruits.  Bananas can be pretty good.
Very soft flesh Jakfruit and champedek do super well as dried fruits.
Peter

Agreed.  Lychee is also excellent dehydrated.   Best of all is dehydrated sapodilla.
- Rob

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 10:31:07 PM »
Rambutan too, can be like dates.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2020, 08:44:56 AM »
Anybody dehydrate annonas?

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2020, 09:55:20 AM »
We dehydrate guanabana.  It’s a little sour so we cut the pieces in bits and put it in a mix with chopped up dry banana to get a better balance of sweetness.  As a sweetened fruit leather it would work too.
Peter

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2020, 10:01:56 AM »
Astringent persimmon are great dried. Better than fresh imo

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2020, 11:29:25 AM »
Cherimoya dehydrated was horrible

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2020, 11:44:57 AM »
Cherimoya dehydrated was horrible

I am curious,  what did it taste like and what made it horrible?
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2020, 11:46:29 AM »
Longan are good dehydrated,  too.  I think carambola are actually better dehydrated than fresh.

Mamey was just soso to me.
- Rob

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2020, 04:49:26 PM »
Back to the question at hand: dehydrated mango will retain flavor profile to at least be distinguishable by variety with noted differences induced. In other words, they won’t all taste the same. I teased Dr. Campbell a few years ago as they were selling dehydrated Orange Sherbet which borders on blasphemous.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2020, 06:46:45 PM »
I definitely cannot taste the difference in variety comparing dehydrated to fresh.  I have tasted the dehydrated mango sold by Dr Campbell and you definitely cannot taste what variety it comes from.  Some varieties are better for dehydrating, like very soft varieties like Carrie are not good for dehydrating because they are so wet and soft.  I have the Excalibur dehydrator and it is very good, but it's hard to get dehydrated fruits that are truly free of water and good for long term storage outside of the refrigerator.  If I have an excess of mangoes this year I plan to freeze them instead.  However dehydrated mangoes are a good value added product for a farm to sell and they sell for a higher price point than fresh mangoes.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2020, 09:04:58 PM »
Back to the question at hand: dehydrated mango will retain flavor profile to at least be distinguishable by variety with noted differences induced. In other words, they won’t all taste the same. I teased Dr. Campbell a few years ago as they were selling dehydrated Orange Sherbet which borders on blasphemous.

I have dehydrated many pounds of Orange Sherbet and Lemon Zest.  Whole both are good, there is not much in the way of being distinguishable  of their variety.

One of the best varieties I have found to dehydrate is Mallika.
- Rob